Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   FRS uses a lot of coolant? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26482)

JLMtm 01-15-2013 03:25 PM

FRS uses a lot of coolant?

Back when I got it in oct it was just under "full"
Now with 3k+ miles it's a little over "low"
Is this normal?

Wattage 01-15-2013 03:30 PM

Are you checking at times when it is the same temperature? Hot fluid expands

ahausheer 01-15-2013 03:33 PM

Coolant expands as it warms up and contracts as it cools, so you need to specify when each measurement was taken. Also, make sure the car is level. If you actually are loosing coolant that is not normal or a good thing. There is another thread asking essentially the same question, you may try to search for that. If you are truly loosing coolant there are only three possibilities. Its dripping/leaking due to a loose hose or connection (not to bad), its boiling-over and literally overflowing from the reservoir (not good, could be worse), or it is getting into the combustion chamber and being expelled in the exhaust (very bad).

Tt3Sheppard 01-15-2013 04:49 PM

I noticed this as well a few months back. I brought it to the dealer for an oil change and they didn't mention anything. Although at the same time I forgot to mention it to them.

wbradley 01-15-2013 04:56 PM

Mine is just at the low mark when cold. However the car is garaged for the winter and there is probably 2-3 degrees incline in the garage so I might actually be slightly above the line in reality. If its boiling off you'd have an engine temp warning normally.
Just tell the dealer next oil change. You don't want to mess with doing your own dilution on this super duper lifetime coolant.

pkny 01-15-2013 09:10 PM

Same thing here. Bought the car in May, and the coolant was sitting at the high mark. Now the coolant is at the low mark. I did both measurments first thing in the morning. I think the ambient temperture plays a important factor here. Back in May the temperture was 80 degrees, and now it is 40 degrees. Anyway, I checked with the dealer last week, and they just wanted to add some coolant. But the only coolant they have is the Toyota pink coolant, and they are not going to order the blue one. Screw that dealer. I went to a Surbaru dealer today, and bought myself a Surbaru blue super coolant. I will add the coolant tonight, and keep an eye on the level.

Hardrock4445 01-15-2013 09:16 PM

May still have burped some air from factory. I would keep an eye on the level and not let it worry you unles it starts losing more.

Celica00 01-15-2013 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pkny (Post 667819)
Same thing here. Bought the car in May, and the coolant was sitting at the high mark. Now the coolant is at the low mark. I did both measurments first thing in the morning. I think the ambient temperture plays a important factor here. Back in May the temperture was 80 degrees, and now it is 40 degrees.

i wish it was 40 degrees here. you lucky bastard:cry:

Boosted2.0 01-15-2013 10:12 PM

The coolant level should be stable. Short of clearing a big bubble it should not change if checked under the same circumstances. You might peek down towards the drivers side of the crank pulley at the water pump. If you have a leak, you will see crusty blue buildup.

Mine had some there from the factory but I talked to a friend in engineering and heard that it could be normal from the initial install at the factory, so I cleaned it off and have watched it closely and no more has showed up since. My level has been rock solid.

whataboutbob 01-15-2013 11:20 PM

I've noticed that mine has been low on a couple of occasions. Prob have added 16 ounces or so. Not sure if when it went in for the free scheduled maintenance if they added any. No sign of leaks or overflow either.

Zach 01-16-2013 12:52 AM

13k miles here - was just on a 700 mile road trip when I noticed a funny smell at a motel when i stopped for the night. Checked it in the AM and the coolant res was BONE DRY. No idea how much was in the rad but i didnt have any CEL or warning lights and had not checked since my last oil change so no idea how long its been dry.

I found a toy dealership close to me and got to spend the entire day there, the end result was a ok pressure test and them filling it back up. Not happy, keeping my eye on it.

Zach

EK_Golfer 01-16-2013 01:13 AM

From the dealership, my coolant was a bit above the full line. Now 400 miles in, it's almost an inch below it. I'm guessing it's just the colder weather

_hollywood 01-16-2013 01:43 AM

Hmmm i had low coolant at around 10k, im at 13k but havent checked it....too damn cold out....i hope this is nothing major

rasec29 02-09-2013 03:02 PM

At dealer now doing 15k mile service and they told me coolant is really low. I had to buy a gallon for them to add, $44... They couldn't tell me why it was low. I thought they topped off fluids at service. :confused:

Sent via Galaxy Nexus