Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Window tint applications (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137868)

drgnt 11-22-2019 02:46 AM

Window tint applications

How hard is it to apply window tint to our cars? My passenger side is starting to peel and my back slightly bubbling

ojuniour 11-22-2019 03:01 AM

Sounds like that was a poor job to begin with...
Just take it to a professional.. Shouldn't cost much at all.. putting website tint is alot harder than you think.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Jmk91 11-22-2019 11:03 AM

Depending if you are the original owner most tint shops offer a lifetime
Warranty.

Dzmitry 11-22-2019 01:23 PM

Agreed with the other comments. Tinting DIY's is not all that simple, especially if you want it done professionally. You have two options when you do a DIY. You can either get cheap tints, do your best to apply them from watching videos, and watch the results come out to what you are currently experiencing over some time. Or you could get professional shop quality tints and apply them yourself, which will cost you at least 50-100 dollars, if not more. Now you're working with fairly expensive film and relying on yourself to put it on properly, because you don't want to mess up a perfect product.

At that point, just go get the job done at a shop. Search around for a good, professional, tint shop (through friends or reviews online) and check for pricing from there. For this car, you can get a nice clean tint job for as cheap as 150 bucks in some shops for very good quality film. Sounds like that's all you need if you are trying to stay somewhat on the cheaper side.

8RZ 11-22-2019 01:29 PM

I've tried tinting my own windows before...

Go to a pro.

YamahaR86 11-22-2019 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8RZ (Post 3277577)
I've tried tinting my own windows before...

Go to a pro.

Same for me. I bought the pre-cut stuff as well. There are some crease outlines and imperfections if you're looking at it but if you glance at it real quick you can't see it.

I only did it myself because I had the window seal issue. The window seals were rubbing my dealer tint raw and it was peeling off. Have to do my rear window next because 7 years in the FL sun it's starting to peel and haze up so I can't see clearly. For $50 it was a good temp fix for me.

ojuniour 11-22-2019 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YamahaR86 (Post 3277599)
Same for me. I bought the pre-cut stuff as well. There are some crease outlines and imperfections if you're looking at it but if you glance at it real quick you can't see it.

I only did it myself because I had the window seal issue. The window seals were rubbing my dealer tint raw and it was peeling off. Have to do my rear window next because 7 years in the FL sun it's starting to peel and haze up so I can't see clearly. For $50 it was a good temp fix for me.

Soooo.... What advice are you offering the op? You aren't clear.

YamahaR86 11-22-2019 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ojuniour (Post 3277611)
Soooo.... What advice are you offering the op? You aren't clear.

Advice is to go to a pro. but if you don't care for imperfections/want a quick fix you can do it yourself.

86MLR 11-22-2019 09:16 PM

Strip out the old tint yourself, then go to pro.