Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   PSA: Found my old FR-S for Sale - Wouldn't Recommend Buying (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133951)

N1rve 04-08-2019 11:20 AM

PSA: Found my old FR-S for Sale - Wouldn't Recommend Buying

So I found my old FR-S for sale and I would say do not touch it with a 10 foot pole!

https://www.laautox.com/pre-owned-ca...on-FR-S/343000

The carfax is a completely lie lol. The car has been to the dealership over 30+ times and nothing shows up on it. :lol: This is one of the reasons why you shouldn't trust carfax. Also, it was never registered a corporate car lol.

https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistor...3601#undefined

The car wasn't problem free and still isn't. Recently put in a new crankshaft and sprocket, but I only addressed 1/4 crankshaft /sprockets. Three of them can still go bad. Engine had came out of the car three time, first time for rocker arms, second time for oil leak, third time for camshaft/sprocket. Please be advised, since three possible sprockets can still go bad, it will cost a good 5-6k to replace it. It is very labor intensive and costly which is why I would not recommend touching this car lol.

The car definitely has some sort of electrical gremlins in it as after the crankshaft sprocket replacement, the battery seemed to have spilled acid on itself and burned the paint of the battery holder, been through three batteries in the course of 5 years (something seems to be draining it) -- I drove it everyday as a daily driver so it's surprising that the battery died like every 1-2 years.

Tcoat 04-08-2019 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N1rve (Post 3204960)
So I found my old FR-S for sale and I would say do not touch it with a 10 foot pole!

https://www.laautox.com/pre-owned-ca...on-FR-S/343000

The carfax is a completely lie lol. The car has been to the dealership over 30+ times and nothing shows up on it. :lol: This is one of the reasons why you shouldn't trust carfax. Also, it was never registered a corporate car lol.

https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistor...3601#undefined

The car wasn't problem free and still isn't. Recently put in a new crankshaft and sprocket, but I only addressed 1/4 crankshaft /sprockets. Three of them can still go bad. Engine had came out of the car three time, first time for rocker arms, second time for oil leak, third time for camshaft/sprocket. Please be advised, since three possible sprockets can still go bad, it will cost a good 5-6k to replace it. It is very labor intensive and costly which is why I would not recommend touching this car lol.

The car definitely has some sort of electrical gremlins in it as after the crankshaft sprocket replacement, the battery seemed to have spilled acid on itself and burned the paint of the battery holder, been through three batteries in the course of 5 years (something seems to be draining it) -- I drove it everyday as a daily driver so it's surprising that the battery died like every 1-2 years.

Carfax doesn't record dealer visits or repairs. It is for accidents and damage.

Dake 04-08-2019 12:01 PM

It records them if the dealer enters them. I've seen CFs and Autochecks that list every single oil change. Many dealers don't though.

N1rve 04-08-2019 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dake (Post 3204971)
It records them if the dealer enters them. I've seen CFs and Autochecks that list every single oil change. Many dealers don't though.

My last car had all of the service entries entered as well.

humfrz 04-08-2019 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N1rve (Post 3204960)

WOW! You sure beat the shit out of THAT car - :eyebulge:

And I'll bet it hasn't even been subjected to the valve spring recall - :iono:

humfrz - jest ah messen wich ya - :D

PS - how do you like your M4?

DarkPira7e 04-08-2019 12:45 PM

I'll play devil's advocate here - if they didn't log your previous visits, what makes you think they logged other fixes they've applied to restore the car's function? I'm not placing plausibility on whether or not they did, I'm just saying that the fact that they didn't log previous fix it visits means they likely wouldn't log any other work they've done.

As an FR-S owner who wishes they had any sort of history on their vehicle from the PO, I appreciate this thread. Thank you for the effort, you may save someone a huge headache.

N1rve 04-08-2019 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by humfrz (Post 3204991)
WOW! You sure beat the shit out of THAT car - :eyebulge:

And I'll bet it hasn't even been subjected to the valve spring recall - :iono:

humfrz - jest ah messen wich ya - :D

PS - how do you like your M4?

LOL Car was well taken care of, lived at the dealership a lot though :)

I love it, my FRS only got like 22 MPG AVG with the way I drive and with the M4 I'm getting 21 MPG AVG. The fit and finish is great, not that many rattles, there's so much power that I don't even dare to floor it that often.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkPira7e (Post 3204994)
I'll play devil's advocate here - if they didn't log your previous visits, what makes you think they logged other fixes they've applied to restore the car's function? I'm not placing plausibility on whether or not they did, I'm just saying that the fact that they didn't log previous fix it visits means they likely wouldn't log any other work they've done.

As an FR-S owner who wishes they had any sort of history on their vehicle from the PO, I appreciate this thread. Thank you for the effort, you may save someone a huge headache.

No problem. And that price too...? Seriously? LOL

Tcoat 04-08-2019 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dake (Post 3204971)

OK a rephrase is in order. "They are not required to enter fixes into Carfax". There are supposed to enter damage but we know that slips through sometimes as well.

N1rve 04-08-2019 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcoat (Post 3205080)
OK a rephrase is in order. "They are not required to enter fixes into Carfax". There are supposed to enter damage but we know that slips through sometimes as well.

Would have been a great selling point to see 30+ maintenance records

Buyer: What's with these 30+ maintenance records?
Dealer: Vehicle is well maintained, came in for service quite often. The Engine is "Like New" Runs great.

:lol::lol::lol:

Tcoat 04-08-2019 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N1rve (Post 3205081)
Would have been a great selling point to see 30+ maintenance records

Buyer: What's with these 30+ maintenance records?
Dealer: Vehicle is well maintained, came in for service quite often. The Engine is "Like New" Runs great.

:lol::lol::lol:

Since it was sold at auction the dealer would probably say "Oh THAT dealer sucked. We would only have had it is 20 times".

DarkSunrise 04-08-2019 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N1rve (Post 3205079)
I love it, my FRS only got like 22 MPG AVG with the way I drive and with the M4 I'm getting 21 MPG AVG. The fit and finish is great, not that many rattles, there's so much power that I don't even dare to floor it that often.

Yeah I felt that way about the M3 I test drove recently. So much torque with the straight 6 turbo. 1st gear is basically useless. Fun car though, congrats!

Adam_L 04-08-2019 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N1rve (Post 3205079)

I love it, my FRS only got like 22 MPG AVG with the way I drive and with the M4 I'm getting 21 MPG AVG.

22mpg wow , shifting at 5-6k rpm all the time, ringing her out like a rag-doll . She must have been zinging along like a raped-ape! :burnrubber:

mattyice 04-08-2019 11:22 PM

It's a 2013, an automatic, AND a LEMON! Sounds like a winner...:lol:

soundman98 04-08-2019 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkPira7e (Post 3204994)

just because the visits don't show up on carfax doesn't mean they aren't logged. it just simply means that they weren't reported to a source carfax recognizes.

there is no law requiring anyone to report anything to carfax, which is why it is a good resource, but it is not a substitute for self-researching a vehicle, or having an independent inspection. i had a car that was rear-ended early in it's life, but it had a clean carfax.

https://abcnews.go.com/Business/trus...8#.UbOr4_nrxyU