Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine, Exhaust, Transmission (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Cracking Header (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121986)

djghez 09-14-2017 02:04 PM

Cracking Header

1 Attachment(s)
Hello All,
This is my first time posting but I've tried going through all the trends for help but have not found what I'm looking for.
I have a supercharged BRZ and keep getting cracks in my header. First header was a Borla UEL which cracked once, I welded it and then cracked in another spot. I then cracked the stock header and then an Invidia header.
I'm trying to find a better header that has a thicker gage wall, 304 or better stainless steel, TIG welded and back purged but its hard to find info on these headers without just buying and seeing the parts.
Does anyone have recommendations on better headers or a way to prevent cracking? Side Note - I have added panels to protect my header from water but there is just as much airflow so the header can cool properly. I also have not used exhaust wrap.
Any help would be greatly appreciated especially that I'm spending way too much on headers.

celek 09-14-2017 02:16 PM

This is what people get with inexpensive parts.
I am not mocking you BTW just stating a fact.
Yes they are sub $700 headers but you have already had to buy 2 instead of 1 at the same cost

I would recommend Tomei, JDL, ACE, Nameless they are a quality part

CSG Mike 09-14-2017 02:27 PM

How are your EGTs?

djghez 09-14-2017 02:39 PM

celek - Ill definately take a look at the brands you suggested.
CSG Mike - I have not tried measuring the temps.

strat61caster 09-14-2017 04:21 PM

Out of curiosity what are the engine mods?
Is it just a lot of track time because cracking three headers including OE is insane, even if you can blame the quality of the aftermarket headers, cracking the OE ones is rare but not unheard of if tracked and with FI.

mav1178 09-14-2017 05:53 PM

Spend better money on a tune, then work on fixing any header problems.

Xxyion 09-14-2017 06:19 PM

JDL are known for having thicker metal which incidentally makes it a tad quieter. Also what kind of supercharger are you using? I was Edelbrock supercharged and never had an issue for 6 months (before i took off the SC). my friend is JRSC boosted and he cracked his OEM header, but that was after a full year of track days

djghez 09-15-2017 05:40 PM

Hello All,
Sorry I have been busy today and haven't been very responsive.
Engine Mods have just been adding a Edelbrock E Force supercharger with the standard pulley.
The tune was custom and done by P Tuning without flashing and was not cheap. I saw all the setting and charts and no issues there.
I decided to buy a Tomei and a JDL to see which has better welds and material thickness.
Thank you all for the help. Let me know if you have other suggestions to prevent cracking.

Teseo 09-15-2017 05:50 PM

When you say was not cheap sounds you was ripped of

djghez 09-15-2017 05:55 PM

I have all the data from the tune so what should I see wrong that would cause header cracking? I'm asking so that if they screwed up I can go back and have it fixed.

x808drifter 09-15-2017 06:12 PM

Would LOVE to hear how you "tuned" the car without flashing.

djghez 09-15-2017 07:21 PM

Sorry should have said we didnt just flash a premade tune.

Xxyion 09-15-2017 07:28 PM

Surprised you have a heating issue with the Edelbrock. that kit is known for its incredible heat managment. Methinks the tune might be the issue. While you might have been tuned for best performance...that . might have come at a cost

djghez 09-15-2017 07:42 PM

What's the best way to adjust the tune for lower exhaust temp? Running rich, lower compression?