Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Summer Tires (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116312)

Flame9020 03-07-2017 06:21 PM

Summer Tires

Got my FR-S last spring and replaced the stock tires with winters but not I need summers. I will be buying American Racing Maverick rims which can be seen in the link. https://www.carid.com/american-racin...ed-442018.html.

I am curious what good brands of summer tires there are out there. What kind of summers would work best for mid Indiana/Ohio?

Lynxis 03-07-2017 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flame9020 (Post 2867507)
Got my FR-S last spring and replaced the stock tires with winters but not I need summers. I will be buying American Racing Maverick rims which can be seen in the link. https://www.carid.com/american-racin...ed-442018.html.

I am curious what good brands of summer tires there are out there. What kind of summers would work best for mid Indiana/Ohio?

What kind of driving are you doing? Regular street driving/commuting? Back roads/spirited driving? Autocross? Track?

RJasonKlein 03-07-2017 08:49 PM

I'd like to give you some feedback on the wheels, even though that's not what you asked for - can you tell me what the driving factors were in choosing that particular wheel?

As for summer tires, what are your priorities in a tire - dry performance, lack of road noise, longevity, cost? What size wheel and tire do you have in mind? Give us some guidance so we can come back with some meaningful assistance.

tyler_win_photo 03-07-2017 09:01 PM

If money is no issue, Michelin Pilot Sport 4S... lemme know how they are

Lynxis 03-07-2017 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyler_win_photo (Post 2867627)
If money is no issue, Michelin Pilot Sport 4S... lemme know how they are

They're only available in 18s and up this year so they probably won't be an option for him if he goes with the size they recommend for our cars.

Keenercarguy 03-08-2017 02:14 AM

225/45-17 Firestone Indy 500's if you're doing street driving with some spirited driving here and there, for the money they're a crazy good deal. You will have a *slightly* higher sidewall with them but you won't notice very often, if ever. I've set a few FTD's in autocross on the same size tire so there's that. If getting out there and properly enjoying your car often is what you like: Michelin PSS's are a winner, they're even on a bit of a sale right now since the PS4S will be replacing them fairly soon. They're still more advanced than any competitor even though they're being replaced... Which is hysterical honestly. If you want something even more aggressive then the brand new Falkem Azenis RY-615K+ 200tw tire is currently hugely on sale on tirerack in 225/45-17. $350 for a full set of sticky 200tw tires isn't bad. If you want all out grip, for AutoX for example, the Bridgestone RE71R's are the best currently. All these tires also come in the stock size 215/45-17 if the slightly shorter sidewall is worth slightly less overall grip to you.
Also if you don't mind me asking: why those wheels? Not exactly awe inspiring, especially considering that they're not lightweight.

Flame9020 03-08-2017 07:37 AM

Thanks for the feedback. My FR-S is currently my daily so I'm looking for a tires that work well with road driving with the occasional sprint when I'm driving on the Indiana country roads. When it comes to the wheels I have always liked the 5 spoke design more than others and these wheels wont break the bank. At this time I don't really have the finances to drop $600+ on rims.

Clipdat 03-08-2017 11:29 AM

I didn't like these at all and got rid of them after only a few hundred miles. Super soft sidewall that did not inspire confidence.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keenercarguy (Post 2867775)
225/45-17 Firestone Indy 500's if you're doing street driving with some spirited driving here and there, for the money they're a crazy good deal.

There's some other 5 spoke options available which probably cost the same/less and are lighter with a better design.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flame9020 (Post 2867804)
When it comes to the wheels I have always liked the 5 spoke design more than others and these wheels wont break the bank. At this time I don't really have the finances to drop $600+ on rims.

Keenercarguy 03-08-2017 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clipdat (Post 2867933)
I didn't like these at all and got rid of them after only a few hundred miles. Super soft sidewall that did not inspire confidence

Huh never really heard that complaint much, I only run them on the rears of my daily wheels though and they're good there.

Clipdat 03-08-2017 01:10 PM

I switched to RE71R and I'm much happier now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keenercarguy (Post 2867977)
Huh never really heard that complaint much, I only run them on the rears of my daily wheels though and they're good there.

Keenercarguy 03-08-2017 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clipdat (Post 2868010)
I switched to RE71R and I'm much happier now.

Well DUH that's not even a fair comparison in the slightest. One is the top tire allowed for autocross that doesn't last a particularly long time and one is just and ultra high performance summer tire designed to balance tire life with performance... Re71r's are incredible though, no doubt.

frslee 03-08-2017 10:25 PM

@Flame9020 I would highly recommend TireRack. They have some selection of quality wheels at affordable price. Plus if you buy as package, they'll mount/balance for free. If you're looking for all season, can't really go wrong with Continental DWS, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+, BFGoodRich g-Force COMP-2 A/S. I've used Michelin and they were amazing. They're little pricey, but it's worth the cost. Very good all around traction on all weather street. If looking for budget tires, Sumitomo is a good choice too whether it's summer or all weather. I've used Sumitomo HTR Z III and I was very satisfied for the spirited street use. Have fun shopping!

Lunatic 03-08-2017 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frslee (Post 2868415)
@Flame9020 I would highly recommend TireRack. They have some selection of quality wheels at affordable price. Plus if you buy as package, they'll mount/balance for free. If you're looking for all season, can't really go wrong with Continental DWS, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+, BFGoodRich g-Force COMP-2 A/S. I've used Michelin and they were amazing. They're little pricey, but it's worth the cost. Very good all around traction on all weather street. If looking for budget tires, Sumitomo is a good choice too whether it's summer or all weather. I've used Sumitomo HTR Z III and I was very satisfied for the spirited street use. Have fun shopping!

I also used the HTR Z111 for sumer tires and thought they were OK.

B-R-Z 03-08-2017 11:26 PM

I just bought a second set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports for my XXR 527's. I keep Blizzaks on my stock wheels and swap them each season.

You should get a set of used TPMS sensors, I spent around $20 for mine. You then need a tool to write the id's to your ECU when you make your wheel swap.