Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Updated: Toyota GT86 - facts from Japan (Handmade and only 1000 units/yr - DEBUNKED) (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2375)

Leeky 11-27-2011 09:52 AM

Updated: Toyota GT86 - facts from Japan (Handmade and only 1000 units/yr - DEBUNKED)

PLEASE NOTE - THE INFORMATION IS INCORRECT AND WAS THE RESULT OF A MISUNDERSTANDING. WE'VE LEFT IT HERE SO THAT NEW READERS CAN STILL UNDERSTAND THE MIX UP AND FOLLOW IT.

Hello all!

Im here in Japan and i've just been to the Fuji Speedway where i met the Chief Engineer and also witnessed the unveiling of the Toyota GT86 - Official Name.

The car is confimed for a worldwide release in April 2012.

The car will be limited to 1000 units per year only.

Each car i can confirm will be hand made.

The automatic gearbox is based on the LF-A gearbox which means it will be a very good box. I spoke to people who have driven both the manual and the automatic and tell me that its hard to choose between the two. But that they are both very very good.

Toyota are not making any profit from the 86 and the sale price will make them break even.

Im happy to answer any questions about the car and will be posting up pictures and videos right now.

I will be going to the Tokyo Motor Show on Wednesday were they will have a number of production models in different colours and spec - hopefully even a TRD GT86. I will sit in the car and take many detailed pictures for you all.

Best Regards

Leeky :thumbup:

speed-wiz 11-27-2011 09:54 AM

Only 1000 units worldwide annually?

Navi 11-27-2011 09:54 AM

Can you confirm the source of these facts please?

1000 units a year worldwide only!? Thats not alot..

Dave-ROR 11-27-2011 09:56 AM

Navi: Toyota flew him to Japan for this so I'd guess that they are the source.

Still I find some of that hard to believe. Mainly the handmade and number of units. Toyota taking a loss or breaking even is easy to see based on r&d costs until a few model years in.

Completely handmade won't happen these days on a car like this. Engine hand built sure but moststuff will be done by robots.

Leeky 11-27-2011 09:56 AM

I can confirm that i got these figures directly from Toyota as i am here with them.

Today i was photographed with the cheif engineer AND the President of Toyota himself - Akio Toyoda.

Pictures will shortly follow.

jimmillion 11-27-2011 09:57 AM

Leaky our man in Japan, it's good to hear from you.

1000 handmade units is a big undated!!!!

Keep up the good work Leeky. Drink some sake for all of us!

Leeky 11-27-2011 10:00 AM

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/...n/SAM_0094.jpg

Here is am with the Chief Engineer. More to follow, but thought i would get this picture up quick.

I also have video of the car to upload.

In4FRS 11-27-2011 10:00 AM

Any word on a us price?

Lasse 11-27-2011 10:01 AM

Handmade and only 1000 units? No way man! I dont believe, actually i dont want to believe.

Handmade is never affordable, even if the price is break even with the costs. :cry:

tripjammer 11-27-2011 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leeky (Post 80297)
Hello all!

Im here in Japan and i've just been to the Fuji Speedway where i met the Chief Engineer and also witnessed the unveiling of the Toyota GT86 - Official Name.

The car is confimed for a worldwide release in April 2012.

The car will be limited to 1000 units per year only.

Each car i can confirm will be hand made.

The automatic gearbox is based on the LF-A gearbox which means it will be a very good box.

Toyota are not making any profit from the 86 and the sale price will make them break even.

Im happy to answer any questions about the car and will be posting up pictures and videos right now.

I will be going to the Tokyo Motor Show on Wednesday were they will have the production model. I will sit in the car and take many detailed pictures for you all.

Best Regards

Leeky :thumbup:

I don't believe it...but could be true...1000 a year for the 86....1000 a year for the FRS.....1000 a year for the BRZ....equals 3000 a year.

But what kills your story is that you said hand made...and LFA based automatic. The LFA has a single clutch gearbox not a real automatic like in the isf. The gearbox is based on the one in the isf not the LFA.

BobbyBalaz 11-27-2011 10:02 AM

Each car is hand made? ... im just clicking refresh to find out more on this page.

Leeky 11-27-2011 10:06 AM

As i said, i am here as a guest of Toyota Japan with the head of advertising. These are the details that they have given me through all the questions i have been throwing at them. Hand made did indeed throw me for a second, so i asked again "Hand made!?"...."Yes, each one"

They did not elaborate on this. I would assume the chassis/body is done via robots and the rest of the car is put together by hand. Otherwise i cant see how it'll cost as little as they say it will.

They have also confirmed NO TURBO - EVER.

I even asked whether TRD will do a Turbo or Supercharger kit and the word is NO.

You can see the pictures as im uploading them here - http://s1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff515/LeekyInJapan

VenomRush 11-27-2011 10:06 AM

im about to cry

edit: just had a thought, toyota might only do 1k per year.. but subie might make tons and tons of them

Navi 11-27-2011 10:07 AM

LIES!

please lies?