Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   right heel goes numb - ouch! (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34858)

Alabang 86 04-26-2013 07:50 PM

right heel goes numb - ouch!

it's hot over here so most of your time is in shorts and flip flops (I'm not complaining). I don't like driving stick in flip flops so I usually flip them off.

Problem is that my right heel goes numb after a few minutes, the longer the drive the worse to the point I have to use my left foot for the gas (be careful trying this)

I move my foot in every possible position but at some point I still have put the heel down....and ouch!

anyone else experience this? I was thinking to put some foam under the floor mat.

OrbitalEllipses 04-26-2013 07:52 PM

You should try some circulation exercises (e.g. ankle circles) to promote better blood flow.

Obviously not while driving.

Accurate Race Shop 04-26-2013 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alabang 86 (Post 894172)
it's hot over here so most of your time is in shorts and flip flops (I'm not complaining). I don't like driving stick in flip flops so I usually flip them off.

Problem is that my right heel goes numb after a few minutes, the longer the drive the worse to the point I have to use my left foot for the gas (be careful tying this)

I move my foot in every possible position but at some point I still have put the heel down....and ouch!

anyone else experience this? I was thinking to put some foam under the floor mat.

Yup had the same issue. I just move my while foot on the gas pedal or keep my heel moving every so often to avoid it. Another trick is to rest your heel on your flip flop

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Alabang 86 04-26-2013 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrbitalEllipses (Post 894175)
You should try some circulation exercises (e.g. ankle circles) to promote better blood flow.

Obviously not while driving.

thanks, tried that but it's a very small pressure point, I'm going to try some foam, maybe memory foam?

dsmx17 04-26-2013 08:42 PM

wear shoes. /thread.

russv 04-26-2013 09:51 PM

Cruise control. Problem solved.

Accurate Race Shop 04-26-2013 10:45 PM

Wearing shoes on some days in Phoenix could lead to a shoe full of sweat and Phoenix is a huge city with a boat load of stop lights so can't use cruise control. I understand where they are coming from on this one.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

GinDo 04-26-2013 10:52 PM

EDIT: Read the OP wrong.

All I can think of is that you have poor circulation to your legs. Do you exercise? Specifically Legs?

Enraged21 04-26-2013 11:00 PM

I usually drive barefoot, because it's comfortable and I like to, and I have no problems at all. I would definitely try to keep your right foot more active by moving it more often. Your left foot is used to moving to clutch/brake while your right foot is static on the gas. So move it around when you're at a stop, or simply put on cruise control.

idreamofdrifting 04-26-2013 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alabang 86 (Post 894172)

Problem is that my right heel goes numb after a few minutes, the longer the drive the worse to the point I have to use my left foot for the gas (be careful tying this)

I drive barefoot almost all the time, even with my AE86 and thank God no problems. Coulde be ur diet? excercise?

Ryuu0u 04-26-2013 11:05 PM

You're having a heart attack bro =/

Alabang 86 04-29-2013 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by russv (Post 894395)
Cruise control. Problem solved.

not in the Philippines, constant start -slow down - stop traffic over here.

Also, I sent my wheel to JPM so I had to temp delete the cruise control....

Quote:

Originally Posted by GinDo (Post 894493)
EDIT: Read the OP wrong.

All I can think of is that you have poor circulation to your legs. Do you exercise? Specifically Legs?

Quote:

Originally Posted by idreamofdrifting (Post 894520)
I drive barefoot almost all the time, even with my AE86 and thank God no problems. Coulde be ur diet? excercise?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryuu0u (Post 894521)
You're having a heart attack bro =/

:)

I exercise too much...it's more like taking a chop stick and pushing it into your heel. I did this over 1 day for about 4 hours of driving, one of those things that you don't notice until it already happened. I think I bruised it then took a another 2 hour drive the next morning and that's when I noticed it.

I drove about 80 mi's today with the flip flops on and no problem, guess I should invest in some driving shoes :)

Blue86 04-29-2013 07:25 AM

I love driving barefoot but I've had some strain around the ball of my foot on the clutch foot

kilrb 04-29-2013 09:25 AM

Funny you should say this... I went to a fireside several weeks back, and it was crazy cold. I had on two pairs of socks, and some weatherproof hiking boots. I was still freezing. I drove my BRZ home, and when I got home and took my boots off, my right heel was completely numb. I thought it probably had something to do with the cold, but really, my heel wasn't that cold. I think maybe in my shivering, I was sitting in a bad position, and with all the layers, it caused a circulation issue. I've never had it happen again, even after driving for a lot longer of a drive. Not sure this helps, but at least you know someone else who had the problem...