Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   DIY climate control and push to start (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132898)

omadab 02-10-2019 01:43 PM

DIY climate control and push to start

Hello people,
I am looking to buy a 2015 BRZ with no features on it. I really want this car because the color, mileage and price are perfect. Here is a picture of the interior:
https://tdrpmimages.azureedge.net/ph...e.jpg-1024x786
The problem is I really wanted climate control, heated seats and push to start. The heated seats I know I can DIY myself ez pz
However the climate control and push to start is a different story. So, does anyone know if these projects are relatively simple, or is it way too much work?

Thanks
oma

soundman98 02-10-2019 10:42 PM

i was told in '14 that adding seat heaters aftermarket can potentially mess with the passenger airbag sensor switch, that is located in the seat pad.

the climate control involves gutting the entire dash to install the full suite of motors and wiring.

you're much better off looking for another car.

DustinS 02-11-2019 11:28 AM

Climate Control is possible but very difficult and can be expensive (some of the pins/wires for the connectors needed are $15 a piece and you need a lot of them) if you are not able to find them from other places/other cars.

Factory Push start is not an option for retro fit. Complete wiring harness is different as well as extra sensors and I do think an extra security ecu.

They do sell aftermarket push to start though. Works pretty well. Ft86speedfactory sells it.

omadab 02-11-2019 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soundman98 (Post 3184524)
i was told in '14 that adding seat heaters aftermarket can potentially mess with the passenger airbag sensor switch, that is located in the seat pad.

the climate control involves gutting the entire dash to install the full suite of motors and wiring.

Where did you read this? on the forum? Heated seats are the most important thing to me lol. I can do without all except the seats haha

soundman98 02-11-2019 07:47 PM

i don't really remember anymore. i want to say it was a salesman first, and then some research later found similar statements.

i went with a brz limited because i wanted the heated seats anyways, and the minor price bump wasn't enough to justify the possible hassle.

Mr.ac 02-11-2019 09:21 PM

Way too much work. You are better off paying a bit more for a model that already has them.
It's in par with doing an auto to manual conversion.

guybo 02-12-2019 12:44 PM

You're going to hate this car.

You want comfort and I can guarantee if the rattles and noise don't drive you nuts, the harsh ride will.

soundman98 02-12-2019 05:33 PM

the only thing that's ever rattled on my car was the rear deck and the dome light switch. the rear deck was fixed with some sound dampening, the dome light was fixed with some felt...

FRSBRZGT86FAN 02-28-2019 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by omadab (Post 3184365)
Hello people,
I am looking to buy a 2015 BRZ with no features on it. I really want this car because the color, mileage and price are perfect. Here is a picture of the interior:
https://tdrpmimages.azureedge.net/ph...e.jpg-1024x786
The problem is I really wanted climate control, heated seats and push to start. The heated seats I know I can DIY myself ez pz
However the climate control and push to start is a different story. So, does anyone know if these projects are relatively simple, or is it way too much work?

Thanks
oma

Quote:

Originally Posted by omadab (Post 3184651)
Where did you read this? on the forum? Heated seats are the most important thing to me lol. I can do without all except the seats haha

Quote:

Originally Posted by soundman98 (Post 3184524)

Soundman is right, the passenger airbag detection is a circuit that involves detecting the resistance of whatever or whoever is in the seat, that's why if the seat gets moist it sets it off as it calculates the seat weight from the resistance. This also means EMF from certain tablets or phones can trigger it as well, my oneplus 5 used to trigger it with it's aluminum body and my 6t does with NFC on sometimes. Adding an aftermarket seat heater element will most definitely interfere with it.

Climate control is also quite complex you'd need the Climate Control Unit
Temp Sensors, Different piping assembly, Front Button/Dash Assembly
,Appropriate Wiring harnesses and the cost goes well past $2k just to get it to work in automated fashion.

If you had done your research, you would've realized you should honestly should just save up for a higher trim BR-Z

Grady 02-28-2019 06:28 PM

It may be less expensive to buy the car with the features you want on it and then paint it?

mrhayes1 10-16-2019 06:53 PM

Not to sound like a troll but buying this car and trying to add heated seats, dual climate and push start after the fact sounds like the dumbest idea ever. I don't think you are realizing how much work this would be and I would strongly recommend not doing this. Unless you are getting a base model for thousands less and saving a ton of money, its not worth it. Just pay the $ and buy the better model with those features.