Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Just a thought... What could the factory have done to lighten then car? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85633)

himbo 03-28-2015 04:47 PM

Just a thought... What could the factory have done to lighten then car?

This is just a thought provoking question. I don't even know why it popped into my head the other day - but what do you guys think Toyota/Subaru could have done to lighten the car; barring any "exotic materials" like titanium or carbon fiber.

I started thinking that because I feel like the power mirror on the right hand side is a bit redundant because: a) you can adjust it from where you're sitting, and, b) once it's set, you're unlikely to change it's position.

Just curious what forum members are thinking. I know there are some engineers here too, so I think it's an interesting topic.

N1rve 03-28-2015 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by himbo (Post 2189163)
This is just a thought provoking question. I don't even know why it popped into my head the other day - but what do you guys think Toyota/Subaru could have done to lighten the car; barring any "exotic materials" like titanium or carbon fiber.

I started thinking that because I feel like the power mirror on the right hand side is a bit redundant because: a) you can adjust it from where you're sitting, and, b) once it's set, you're unlikely to change it's position.

Just curious what forum members are thinking. I know there are some engineers here too, so I think it's an interesting topic.

They could of built the entire car out of carbon fiber like the LFA.

raven1231 03-28-2015 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N1rve (Post 2189175)
They could of built the entire car out of carbon fiber like the LFA.

Missed the no carbon fiber part. Anyway, almost anything would have resulted in more expensive parts, or even less features on an already essentially featureless car.

adamg 03-28-2015 05:04 PM

theres a million things they could have done. no factory spare tire, no power options like mirros, windows, etc. lighter battery, more aluminum body parts

mig86 03-28-2015 06:34 PM

They already did a fair bit, like aluminum hood, light weight rims. If you bench mark modern cars it's not bad. Certainly heavier than the equivalent from 20 years back.

For the price the new MX5 (miata) certainty is impressive, especially for a convertable.

Ultramaroon 03-28-2015 06:46 PM

Quote:

I know there are some engineers here too

oh, bullshit

AdrianG 03-28-2015 07:00 PM

No AC, no spare tire (which they originally considered doing)

- AdrianG

ihaskrayon 03-28-2015 07:13 PM

They could have made the car from carbon fiber and titanium

Poodles 03-28-2015 07:29 PM

Quote:

Lots of stuff, but it would make the car feel much cheaper. Dash could have been just simple injection molded plastic. No back seat. No center console.

Power mirrors are pretty damn light, so it's a minor thing to save weight on...

Quote:

Originally Posted by adamg (Post 2189188)
theres a million things they could have done. no factory spare tire, no power options like mirros, windows, etc. lighter battery, more aluminum body parts

Battery is the smallest it can be for an OEM battery. Don't forget this is a high compression motor, it needs the amps. AGM batteries are heavier, and any of the lithium ones aren't ready for prime time for a starting battery. Even the one Porsche uses is replaced with a conventional battery for winter use.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mig86 (Post 2189266)
They already did a fair bit, like aluminum hood, light weight rims. If you bench mark modern cars it's not bad. Certainly heavier than the equivalent from 20 years back.

For the price the new MX5 (miata) certainty is impressive, especially for a convertable.

Keep in mind the twins are a far safer car than the Miatas are... The twins are even safe by todays standards.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultramaroon (Post 2189281)
oh, bullshit

Oh do tell...

Ultramaroon 03-28-2015 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poodles (Post 2189315)
Oh do tell...

What, these wannabes?

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76992

stugray 03-28-2015 08:00 PM

Quote:

but what do you guys think Toyota/Subaru could have done to lighten the car; barring any "exotic materials" like titanium or carbon fiber. .

They could have put in a 1 pound billet aluminum crank pulley.

hmong337 03-28-2015 08:13 PM

The heck. It's already as light as you can have it! If anything, they should've put a 2.2L or a 2.4L in there.

Gunman 03-28-2015 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultramaroon (Post 2189346)

Yep, pure wannabe.

On topic, I'd say go like the Elise, F40, and Mosler MT900, bare bones race car for the street, and ditch the power stuff, no rear seat, no spare, no radio, no hvac. No sound proofing. Battery could be lower.

Problem is, the market would be smaller, and it wouldn't sell enough units. Maybe as a "race" version, with the current models as the upper level versions.

Ultramaroon 03-29-2015 12:44 AM

@Anthony is way ahead of us in the weight shedding dept. He's carefully documented everything.

Anthony's 4 Step Diet Program ║[=86=]║