Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine, Exhaust, Transmission (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   CEL P0351 Ignition Coil "A" Primary Control Circuit/Open (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30879)

romin 03-12-2013 01:41 AM

CEL P0351 Ignition Coil "A" Primary Control Circuit/Open

I'm getting this CEL while running hard on the track.
I've cleared it several times and it keeps coming back.
Anyone else seeing it?
Any known fixes?

Visconti 03-12-2013 01:54 AM

You running a unichip?

romin 03-12-2013 02:01 AM

I've gotten this CEL both with and without my tune.
The engine seems to be running fine otherwise.

Using a prior "older tune" I did get some misfires and the CEL in question.

mad_sb 03-12-2013 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by romin (Post 787815)

remove the unichip and see if it goes away... interceptors can make sensitive monitors very unhappy. If you put it back to stock and still have the issue then you can at least rule out the unichip and start looking at replacing the coilpack etc.

ATL BRZ 03-12-2013 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by romin (Post 787815)

Were you tracking with a unichip or ecutek tune?

romin 03-12-2013 10:38 AM

I don't use or have a Unichip.

My car does have an EcuTek tune and the CEL first showed up while the tune was installed. I have since removed the tune, back to stock, and was able to reproduce the CEL but only on the track running hard.

Dave-ROR 03-12-2013 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by romin (Post 787796)
I'm getting this CEL while running hard on the track.
I've cleared it several times and it keeps coming back.
Anyone else seeing it?
Any known fixes?

Mine gets it also, completely stock ECU. At the dealership for a coil pack replacement right now actually. I'll see in a few weeks if it fixes it when I'm at the track again.

ATL BRZ 03-12-2013 10:58 AM

hmm are we uncovering a coil pack weakness or defect?

romin 03-12-2013 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave-ROR (Post 788203)
Mine gets it also, completely stock ECU. At the dealership for a coil pack replacement right now actually. I'll see in a few weeks if it fixes it when I'm at the track again.

Did the dealer jump straight to the coils or did they check the plugs first? I'm wondering if we should be running a cooler plug on the track.

mad_sb 03-12-2013 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by romin (Post 788200)
I don't use or have a Unichip.

My car does have an EcuTek tune and the CEL first showed up while the tune was installed. I have since removed the tune, back to stock, and was able to reproduce the CEL but only on the track running hard.

My Bad, sounded like you were saying you had one, but zeroed it out.

From a quick look at the manual it may be an overheating problem with no. 1 coil pack:

Huehuecoyotl 03-12-2013 12:27 PM

tuned in to this thread..this sorta thing, potential for warranty replacement can worry the FI consumer..my audi went thru a coil pack recall, but no aftermarket FI stuff there

what is the intelligent way to see if a colder plug works better(whatever that is to a coil pack)or provided 'benefits' short of my paying a tuner to run dyno and some exh gas analysis? is this cause we're boosting and tuning? I doubt its the plugs so early on, but ya never know, if its happening with OE tuning, then there maybe something there in the way of breakage potential we have uncovered, is it a call to carry a spare?

I'm curious to know what the dealership finds/replaces

ultra 03-12-2013 12:45 PM

Stumbled on this thread while searching...

Just picked up my car from the dealer after throwing a CEL. Dealer said the car was throwing an ignition related code. Coil pack on one bank replaced + dealer ECU reflash = problem solved so far.

Dave-ROR 03-12-2013 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by romin (Post 788284)
Did the dealer jump straight to the coils or did they check the plugs first? I'm wondering if we should be running a cooler plug on the track.

Well technically they started the warranty claim off my picture of the code scanner, so they didn't see the car until this morning after the parts already arrived. I'm not sure what they are specifically checking first today.

Dave-ROR 03-12-2013 04:44 PM

OK so they replaced the Cyl 1 coil pack.. I'll see if it happens again.