Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Junk in the Trunk (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7130)

Dadhawk 05-29-2012 10:02 AM

Junk in the Trunk

1 Attachment(s)
So, what will fit in the trunk (besides 4 tires and a helmet) with the seats down.

Well, I had an opportunity to test it this weekend as I was taking my son up to the NC mountains for his summer job. Turns out you can get (with the back seat folded down):

2 full size suitcases including stuffed side pockets
1 Pillow
1 carry-on size suitcase
1 backback
2 Saxophone cases
2 regular adult size folks without having to move the seats.

None of it had to be stacked about the bottom of the back glass so there was no issues with the view out the back. Honestly, I didn't think it was going to fit when he first brought it all outside. This is WAY more than we would ever have gotten in our '05 Mustang convertible, and actually is the same or more than would have fit behind the back seat in our Chevy Astro.

I was honestly impressed. I see no issue with using the FR-S for two, packing for a week.

So, what have you stuck in the back of your FR-S/BRZ?

Ryephile 05-29-2012 10:04 AM

That's excellent:)

Ranatsu 05-29-2012 10:10 AM

why no pics of junk in your trunk? :p

Ryosuke86 05-29-2012 10:19 AM

Lol. That's awesome! More than I would have expected. When I get my hands my car this weekend, I will let the tetris begin with the trunk! :w00t:

ichitaka05 05-29-2012 10:43 AM

Is that rear seat folded or no?

Dadhawk 05-29-2012 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ranatsu (Post 229413)
why no pics of junk in your trunk? :p

Yea, sorry about that, we were in a rush to leave and I thought about it too late.

Here's the Tetris pattern. One full-size suitcase and two sax cases on the back seat (folded down). sax cases were stacked on top of each other with pillow. Largest suitcase in through trunk (just barely fit) then carry-on and backback. Trunk closed with no pressure on it.

Dadhawk 05-29-2012 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ichitaka05 (Post 229457)
Is that rear seat folded or no?

Folded down.

ichitaka05 05-29-2012 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dadhawk (Post 229459)
Folded down.

Thanks!

That's still amazing to see it fit all of em! I'm not sure my Impreza (coupe) can fit all of those lol

igorot 05-29-2012 10:49 AM

I am disappointed by this thread, I was expecting something else :p

Dadhawk 05-29-2012 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ichitaka05 (Post 229461)
Thanks!

That's still amazing to see it fit all of em! I'm not sure my Impreza (coupe) can fit all of those lol

If you are willing to give up the view out the back window, I believe you could have gotten a couple of more suitcases in there. The seat backs would have held them in place.

If you are tall enough to require the seat pushed all the way back, you would lose some carrying space as well.

russv 05-29-2012 11:07 AM

Amazing amount of room!

Dadhawk 05-29-2012 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by igorot (Post 229465)
I am disappointed by this thread, I was expecting something else :p

:happyanim:

I figured as much. Little story behind this (no pun intended).

When MomHawk and I were buying her '05 Mustang, and looking at different cars as alternatives, one of the things she always wanted to see was the carrying capacity because in her job she has to take things from one location to another on a daily basis.

When she asked to open the trunk on the Mustang, I (totally innocently and with no intended meaning) said to the salesperson, "That will be important because she does tend to carry a lot of junk in the trunk". I'm still paying for that one.

VZ86 05-29-2012 02:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This weekend I was able to stuff a full Rock Band setup in the trunk w/o having to fold down the back seat (though the seat is folded down in the pic in anticipation of needing the extra space). This includes drums, drum throne, two guitars, and a standard size bankers box w/ console & misc accessories. Afterwards, there was still room to pack beverages, snacks, and spare shoes for the party.

mattles 05-29-2012 02:21 PM

Oooo, I have a pic or two I took for this very purpose. Went to Ikea over the weekend and the gf needed a new desk, shelves, new desk chair, and some smaller odds and ends. It all fit with room enough for way more shit, she was thoroughly impressed. She said it definitely holds more things than her 96 Honda Accord 4door, and I agree. The accord used to be our go-to Ikea vehicle, but looks like the FRS wins again. :D

http://distilleryimage9.s3.amazonaws...3810100a_7.jpg