Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine, Exhaust, Transmission (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Let there be NO DOUBT: Non Resonated PERRIN> Resonated Perrin HP (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20526)

gmookher 10-23-2012 07:25 PM

Let there be NO DOUBT: Non Resonated PERRIN> Resonated Perrin HP

Let there be NO DOUBT: Non Resonated PERRIN> Resonated Perrin HP

I dont need a dyno to tell me this. I have run the resonated Perrin ever since I started testing for them. Waste of time. Get the unresonated, there is more power, and not alot more sound. Flows better breathes 'easier' and pulls harder. my 2 cents. :word:

showbe 10-23-2012 07:47 PM

Not everyone prefers a louder exhaust. People who AutoX have to worry about the DB levels and then not having a louder exhaust means less worries from the cops. If you get a full exhaust all the way from the headers then I am sure it will be a lot louder if you have a resonator already.

THeir are many reasons why people dont do it and that is one of them. Whenever I see someone with a loud fart can at a stop light I just SMH. People dont like it. I know my friends and I just laugh at those people who think their car has so much power just cause its louder then you see them moving like a snail.

But not everyone is like that. But that is one of the most annoying things when a car sounds like a Harley and doesnt even move.

empower-auto 10-23-2012 07:49 PM

Agree with OP. I have the straight-thru Motiv pipe and it's fantastic.. especially paired with the T1R 70R exhaust. No rasp or drone.

Laika 10-23-2012 07:53 PM

I got to hear Phaedrus29's resonated perrin exhaust today. It's really not for everyone. Most people won't like it in fact. But for those of us that can't tolerate loud noises from either the car or the girlfriend/wife (complaining about the car noises) it is perfect! Seems to only make legitimate noise when you want it to.

Gmookher- I see you say that the non-resonated is only a bit louder which makes things interesting here but I wish there was a quantified comparison (db?). I liked that the resonated literally makes no noise inside the cabin with the windows up. Is this something that can be said for the non-resonated?

Assuming I'd change out some other exhaust plumbing at some point, I'd probably get the resonated and wait for the noise with later mods. Thank you for posting.

gmookher 10-23-2012 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laika (Post 516193)
I got to hear Phaedrus29's resonated perrin exhaust today. It's really not for everyone. Most people won't like it in fact. But for those of us that can't tolerate loud noises from either the car or the girlfriend/wife (complaining about the car noises) it is perfect! Seems to only make legitimate noise when you want it to.

Gmookher- I see you say that the non-resonated is only a bit louder which makes things interesting here but I wish there was a quantified comparison (db?). I liked that the resonated literally makes no noise inside the cabin with the windows up. Is this something that can be said for the non-resonated?

Assuming I'd change out some other exhaust plumbing at some point, I'd probably get the resonated and wait for the noise with later mods. Thank you for posting.

Dont do it, get the unresonated. Wife tells me to turn music down in the house cause I like it loud. No complaints from her on the change in volume, we talk the same as we did before inside the cabin as we talked before, i had their resonated for as long as I had other than stock. (she also noticed the extra get up and go!)
Perrins can is quiet as it is, compared to the dual can stuff out there.
Anyone local youre welcome to have a listen and go for a drive. No rasp. No fart. mature, throaty, if the resonated is a 3 on 1 to 10 the unresonated is a 5
VERY much not "too loud"

My B&B exhaust on my m3 is louder. Our stock 911 was louder.
While the resonated is more akin to how a lexus sounds; the unresonated is how this car sounds best- I agree with Jeff from Perrin wholly on this setup.

After all they make it, it sounds best feels best, most importantly, the motor is happier this way, know wha ah mean?

Its your car, do whatever you want to it, I like the extra power!!!! hell yeah...

chulooz 10-23-2012 08:17 PM

:lol: The old 'my butt dyno can tell'.

gmookher 10-23-2012 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chulooz (Post 516249)
:lol: The old 'my butt dyno can tell'.

yes.

My ass nose all.

driftartist 10-23-2012 08:27 PM

un resonated all the way. no buts no debate. un resonated. the sound is more fun and the performance is there. it isnt a matter of oh its louder and is faster. some like the sound of a louder car (like me) some dont and that is ok. but my vote is non resonated, no pansies allowed. my gf can deal but shes super cool about it anyways.

CBR600RR 10-23-2012 08:28 PM

Some might say that a louder exhaust makes a car feel faster

Just saying

xjohnx 10-23-2012 08:40 PM

Until someone posts a dyno, i can assure you there will be debate.

sho220 10-23-2012 09:01 PM

If the non-resonated Perrin is too loud, you're too old... :)

sho220 10-23-2012 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CBR600RR (Post 516271)
Some might say that a louder exhaust makes a car feel faster

Just saying

I always thought more noise = more fast...:party0030:

nix 10-23-2012 09:04 PM

IMO Loud + slow = ricer twat.

xwd 10-23-2012 09:55 PM

I think I have an email from Perrin that says there is no difference in dyno results between the two.