Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine, Exhaust, Transmission (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Drivetrain slop? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36160)

jordanrw260 05-10-2013 08:03 PM

Drivetrain slop?

OK this is not a problem or issue, I'm sure the average driver will not notice this but I will describe what I experience in hopes that someone else has noticed and could point me to maybe a part to tighten things up.

Example: When driving a constant 50MPH on the highway with your foot already on the gas, if you let off you can feel a small amount of movement in the drive train below you. And if you let off right there and press the gas again to resume maintaining that 50MPH you will again feel the movement beneath you. It just feels like there is some slack somewhere.

Is this something where a transmission collar is needed for extra support to minimize the movement?

Xero-Limit 05-10-2013 08:09 PM

Huge issue on this car. You'll want the whiteline subframe and diff inserts to take care of it. Driving them back to back is like night and day. I thought there was some throttle response/delay issue with the ECU at first until I drove a properly tightened up car. Some videos online of the diff movement.

86drift 05-10-2013 09:02 PM

I have this too. Most of the slack is in the diff. But there's also some in the CVs.

Don't know if there's a lot you can do about it.

jordanrw260 05-10-2013 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moto-mike (Post 925858)
Huge issue on this car. You'll want the whiteline subframe and diff inserts to take care of it. Driving them back to back is like night and day. I thought there was some throttle response/delay issue with the ECU at first until I drove a properly tightened up car. Some videos online of the diff movement.

Can you tell me which item numbers you a referencing from the whiteline homepage? http://www.whiteline.com.au/do_segue...ehicle=2012-ON

Captain Snooze 05-10-2013 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moto-mike (Post 925858)
Huge issue on this car.

With due respect I beg to differ. I do not know what it is the OP is referring to. Let me rephrase that. I know what it is he is referring to just that I have never been aware of this "problem". Even the OP states "small amount".

MY13FRS 05-10-2013 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jordanrw260 (Post 925835)
OK this is not a problem or issue, I'm sure the average driver will not notice this but I will describe what I experience in hopes that someone else has noticed and could point me to maybe a part to tighten things up.

Example: When driving a constant 50MPH on the highway with your foot already on the gas, if you let off you can feel a small amount of movement in the drive train below you. And if you let off right there and press the gas again to resume maintaining that 50MPH you will again feel the movement beneath you. It just feels like there is some slack somewhere.

Is this something where a transmission collar is needed for extra support to minimize the movement?

Yup, I had to adjust my driving style for this car. You have to let go of the clutch quick, like you're dumping the clutch, and add throttle. Takes practice, but once you got it, it works. You can't feather the clutch on this car.

mrk1 05-10-2013 09:47 PM

I completely agree with the slop being a problem. On my car I have installed the Whiteline rear subframe inserts (kdt922) and also installed STI engine and trans mounts. It makes a world of difference.

Diff mounts will be soon.

mswhong 05-11-2013 05:44 AM

Yes, I have this issue on my car as well.. the drivetrain slop in this car is terrible but with some bushings and other products (from whiteline or any other company) it should go away :)

Captain Snooze 05-11-2013 07:05 AM

Could someone please explain what this drivetrain slop is? I really don't know what the complaint is.

mswhong 05-11-2013 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Snooze (Post 926657)
Could someone please explain what this drivetrain slop is? I really don't know what the complaint is.

It's just the drivetrain moving when taking your foot on off the gas.. It's not very pronounced but you can definitely replicate it.

It's similar to when you're driving along a road that has a few bumps and the revs sort of bounce around due to the transmission moving about laterally and longitudinally.

Captain Snooze 05-11-2013 08:22 AM

The problem I have with bumpy roads is trying to keep a constant throttle. That is my foot on the throttle gets bumped around. I think the throttle spring is too light.
(Sorry, off topic)

Bu-Tang 05-11-2013 01:16 PM

[QUOTE=moto-mike;925858]Huge issue on this car. You'll want the whiteline subframe and diff inserts to take care of it. Driving them back to back is like night and day. I thought there was some throttle response/delay issue with the ECU at first until I drove a properly tighten

Agreed, I went white Whiteline KDT926/Perrin combo + KDT925, HUGE difference, the issue was driving me insane for a while until U I installed all of them.

SkullWorks 05-11-2013 01:36 PM

You can definitely feel the drivetrain moving around in this car,

It bothers me considerably but I was thinking it only felt so pronounced because I was trying to compare it to my 240 with solid mounted everything and a one-piece driveshaft. In reality it is no worse than any other car, I think the reason so many people DO notice it in this car is the overall characteristic of the car is to be tight, and the drivetrain slop seems a bit out of character for the car, I wouldn't be surprised if the factory left a bit extra in so they could sell us stiffer mounts...ala STi (does TRD offer mounts yet?)

I need to finish my coffee

Turdinator 05-13-2013 01:19 AM

TRD are doing a range of stiffer bushesfor the 86.
http://www.trdparts.jp/english/86_pe...atestnews.html

And i definitely agree there is a lot of driveline slop in this car.