Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Mods to avoid (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113551)

yberther 12-06-2016 12:25 PM

Mods to avoid

Lots of people spend a lot of time researching things to do to their cars. I was wondering what people have done to their car that they would not recommend to others or that they reversed.

So what mods have you guys done that you would avoid?

Zaku 12-06-2016 12:37 PM

hmm well, if you have a new car. I probably would avoid any mods that would void your warranty. I think that's a safe assumption,besides that I'm not saying avoid forced induction but it's best to be educated and know a lot about the installation process and know your installer. A lot of things can go wrong and it's best if both you and the professional know exactly what they are doing!

I'm sure a lot of people will jump in on this, but this is what comes to my minds on this topic.

gramicci101 12-06-2016 12:41 PM

Avoid vinyl graphics and underlighting. Lightweight pulleys are questionable; read all the reviews and make an informed decision. Avoid @Dave-ROR if he's been drinking; you'll get banned.

FX86 12-06-2016 12:44 PM

don't remove the rear floor mats for weight reduction...keep them there otherwise the car drives like it's on ice

trd gas cap...waste of money and no one can see it unless you drive around with your gas lid open

jdm tow hooks

stickers on the body panels

automatic shift knobs

replica rocket bunny kits

blue led tag lights

police siren and police lights

EAGLE5 12-06-2016 12:58 PM

@ichitaka05 <-- that mod is a douche.

Tcoat 12-06-2016 01:02 PM

Well ichi can be cranky if you piss him off and Guff is a bit sketchy but it is pretty hard to avoid them.

To answer the real question on mods is almost impossible. For every "don't do it" you will probably get an equal number of "this is how the car should have come from the factory".

All you can really do is mod how YOU want. Don't let people tell you that the car "needs" anything unless you thought of it on your own. Even then step back and ask yourself "do I REALLY want that" and "WHY do I want it" before doing anything at all. If you can not answer those two simple questions to yourself then stay away from the mod. People get way too wrapped up in what others think they should do or not do that they lose any form of plan for the car. I wish I had a dollar for ever guy that showed up here and said "It needs 300HP just to function" and when we dig deeper we find they have never even driven one much less own it.

Leonardo 12-06-2016 01:18 PM

I bought an IKON lip. It needed sooo much sanding and shaping to fit. It was warped too. I only had it on my car for about two weeks. You get what you pay for.

Bought a $20 "armrest" LOL! It is a tiny pillow that is black and red. I have taken almost all the red out of my car now, so it had to go. Steering wheel is about all that I have left is red... The floor mats have red stitch that is hard to see.

This add/pic has it correctly labeled as a cushion. Again, you get what you pay for. Was late night shopping, IDK what I was thinking...
https://i.imgflip.com/1fgk3y.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator

Tokay444 12-06-2016 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zaku (Post 2809395)
hmm well, if you have a new car. I probably would avoid any mods that would void your warranty. I think that's a safe assumption,besides that I'm not saying avoid forced induction but it's best to be educated and know a lot about the installation process and know your installer. A lot of things can go wrong and it's best if both you and the professional know exactly what they are doing!

I'm sure a lot of people will jump in on this, but this is what comes to my minds on this topic.

Your warranty cannot be voided.
Claims can be denied based on cause, but your warranty is never void.

JD001 12-06-2016 01:48 PM

Ferrari badges and fender shield...

go_a_way1 12-06-2016 01:55 PM

I try to stay away from all mods as some like ichi taco like to ban me

kch 12-06-2016 01:59 PM

There are a few mods I've regretted:

1) Pulleys. I don't wanna get into it.

2) Ebay lip. Fit like crap. Waste of money.

3) OFT. Nothing really wrong with it, but I should've just accepted the fact that I'd want ECUtek eventually.

4) LED fogs. They look good, but piss people off and I never use them anymore.

5) Master cylinder brace. I honestly can't tell a difference, even on track.

6) SS brake lines. Couldn't tell a difference. Only get these if you need to replace your lines anyway.

7) Raceseng 2" rear shock mounts. I should've gotten the 1". I don't need to be super low.

stevemp5 12-06-2016 02:02 PM

Heavy wheel... They destroyed the handling of my car :bonk:

Ultramaroon 12-06-2016 03:30 PM

TRD short shifter kit/extension - the USDM bolt-on version. It fits poorly and comes loose.

If you're into that sort of thing there are a few nice short throw shift levers available. Go with one of those.

Speed2th 12-06-2016 03:45 PM

parts that you cannot afford and need to finance for it. -> worse financial decision ever