Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Clutch failure at end of 2,000 mile trip (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136425)

g e 08-18-2019 07:46 PM

Clutch failure at end of 2,000 mile trip

Today I drove the last 650 mile leg of my trip. My 2013 BRZ was a joy to drive, until:

Back in metro Atlanta at a major interstate junction traffic was stopped. No problem and I easily stop. But when it’s time to put it in gear, the clutch pedal remains on the floor and I use my foot to pop it up and get going!

That’s never happened before.

Once off the interstate the first time I tried to engage clutch and put in gear it would not go into gear. Turned off car restarted and thankfully it went into first.

At each stop light I could engage clutch but it killed the engine with clutch engage I could restart it and get underway.

I’ve probable glazed the clutch.

Does this sound like a throw out bearing or catastrophic clutch failure

Car has 46,000 miles

DarkPira7e 08-18-2019 08:22 PM

Have you checked to see if your slave cylinder is leaking fluid? The fluid is probably pretty low to be acting like this if it is leaking.

NCtoBRZ 08-18-2019 08:37 PM

I agree, it sounds like a hydraulic problem such as a slave cylinder failure.

g e 08-18-2019 09:35 PM

Thanks! Appreciate the insights

g e 08-20-2019 09:58 AM

Car taken by flatbed to dealer. Busy shop and won’t get to it until Wednesday. Legacy loaner car. Boring.

Opened a case with SOA. No way this drive train failure should happen on a well maintained car with 47,000 miles.

Stay tuned.

Tcoat 08-20-2019 11:27 AM

This is EXACTLY what happened when my TOB blew and took out everything else. Exactly.

g e 08-21-2019 09:28 AM

Heard from dealer and I’m getting the works including new fkywheel which they said was pretty well worn.

The good news is SOA will provide a credit to dealer to significantly defray my cost. I am happy with it, I did get 47k miles use out of it.

So all’s we’ll that ends well

g e 08-21-2019 09:36 AM

One other note, over the years in dealing with service, customer service, sales and anyone I do business with, treating people respectfully and cheerfully gets me results. The front line people get hammered all day long with unhappy and angry people. Know what you want to achieve in the interaction and go about it with graceful purpose. You may be pleasantly surprised.

Tcoat 08-21-2019 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by g e (Post 3250062)
Heard from dealer and I’m getting the works including new fkywheel which they said was pretty well worn.

The good news is SOA will provide a credit to dealer to significantly defray my cost. I am happy with it, I did get 47k miles use out of it.

So all’s we’ll that ends well

Did you have extended warranty? Just curious why they would cover any of it after 6 years.

Quote:

Originally Posted by g e (Post 3250067)
One other note, over the years in dealing with service, customer service, sales and anyone I do business with, treating people respectfully and cheerfully gets me results. The front line people get hammered all day long with unhappy and angry people. Know what you want to achieve in the interaction and go about it with graceful purpose. You may be pleasantly surprised.

I always take a dozen doughnuts in for the techs when I get my car serviced. Even when there is an issue I deal with it cheerfully and with respect. I have never had to ask twice for anything at a service department and even in the biggest dealerships the techs know me by name and face.

g e 08-21-2019 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcoat (Post 3250080)
Did you have extended warranty? Just curious why they would cover any of it after 6 years.

I always take a dozen doughnuts in for the techs when I get my car serviced. Even when there is an issue I deal with it cheerfully and with respect. I have never had to ask twice for anything at a service department and even in the biggest dealerships the techs know me by name and face.

They provided a credit fir part of the repair not all. No extended warranty. I attribute it to good Karma and being a serial subaru owner.

I use to drive VWs and the service guys and I were on first name basis. Ha ha!

Only once did I blow up at service manager. VW service failed to tighten lug nuts on car. Two were rolling around in hub cap, the third was not even finger tight and the fourth was secure. Not even an “we are so sorry” from them. It was the last time they spun a wrench on my car.

Tcoat 08-21-2019 12:13 PM

Wow I thought I was on good terms with them but I wouldn't get a credit for out of warranty work! Nice job.

g e 08-21-2019 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcoat (Post 3250120)
Wow I thought I was on good terms with them but I wouldn't get a credit for out of warranty work! Nice job.

I have less than 47.000 miles on car. That is an absurdly short lifespan for a clutch. Perhaps they were embarrassed?

Tcoat 08-21-2019 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by g e (Post 3250125)
I have less than 47.000 miles on car. That is an absurdly short lifespan for a clutch. Perhaps they were embarrassed?

There are dealers that won't fix what they clearly screwed up so getting it done out of warranty is great no matter what the mileage is.
The clutches in these cars are fine it is that damn defective TOB that goes and takes the clutch with it. My TOB took out my first clutch at around 50K but that was my own fault for not changing it when it started making noise. With the upgraded TOB and new everything else I am now at around 150K and the clutch feels as good as when it was changed.

g e 08-21-2019 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcoat (Post 3250131)
There are dealers that won't fix what they clearly screwed up so getting it done out of warranty is great no matter what the mileage is.
The clutches in these cars are fine it is that damn defective TOB that goes and takes the clutch with it. My TOB took out my first clutch at around 50K but that was my own fault for not changing it when it started making noise. With the upgraded TOB and new everything else I am now at around 150K and the clutch feels as good as when it was changed.

I asked about TOB every time I was in for service. My hearing isn’t as good as it once was plus I wasn’t sure what to listen for and this car makes quite a few noises. Service guys never indicated something was up. Perhaps it was marginal and a long trip in 95-100 heat pushed it over the edge. All good now. Time to move on.