Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Loud squeaking coming from trunk area (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106627)

treminaor 06-03-2016 07:44 PM

Loud squeaking coming from trunk area

I keep hearing intermittent squeaking noises coming from somewhre in the trunk area - it happens any time the frame of the car is shifting (i.e. going over bumps or grade changes in a road, etc).

It sounds like a high pitched squeak similar to the sound of foam or rubber rubbing against a smooth surface. It's so loud I hear it over normal volume music.

My first thought was it must be the foam tool holders under the floormat in the back - so I removed them all temporarily. I still hear squeaking.

Next I thought it must be the spare tire rubbing against the metal frame of the car - so I removed the spare temporarily. I still hear squeaking.

Sooner or later I'm going to get desperate enough to have someone else drive the car while I root around the trunk listening for where the noise is coming from.

Has anyone else experienced this noise and found the culprit? I didn't hear this when I bought the car, it started within the last few thousand miles.

Sigh-on-Rice 06-03-2016 07:54 PM

Maybe your tail light rubbing on the bumper? Try press the rear bumper right below the tail light and see if you can recreate the noise.

treminaor 06-03-2016 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sigh-on-Rice (Post 2670444)
Maybe your tail light rubbing on the bumper? Try press the rear bumper right below the tail light and see if you can recreate the noise.

I hear noise from the bumper flexing against the fender but it's not really the noise I've been hearing. No noise from the tail lights when I press.

Also tried pressing on the top of the taillights themselves - they don't move at all.

Sigh-on-Rice 06-03-2016 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by treminaor (Post 2670449)
I hear noise from the bumper flexing against the fender but it's not really the noise I've been hearing. No noise from the tail lights when I press.

Also tried pressing on the top of the taillights themselves - they don't move at all.

I see. I had squeaking noise from tail light rubbing the bumper after I had the tail light replaced for condensation problem. I thought you had the same problem since I saw your avatar having after market tail light. :) For me, only driver side was making the noise and not the passenger side. So, I knew it wasn't normal. If it's normal, then both side should make the noise.

treminaor 06-03-2016 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sigh-on-Rice (Post 2670451)
I see. I had squeaking noise from tail light rubbing the bumper after I had the tail light replaced for condensation problem. I thought you had the same problem since I saw your avatar having after market tail light. :) For me, only driver side was making the noise and not the passenger side. So, I knew it wasn't normal. If it's normal, then both side should make the noise.

Ha, yeah good catch. I put the lights in myself and made sure I got the bolts nice and tight, so that's probably not the issue although it was a good thing to check. I've been racking my brain trying to think what rubber parts are in the trunk area and I hadn't thought of the light gaskets yet.