Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine, Exhaust, Transmission (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Headers & downpipe/overpipe installation (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34964)

Sonolin 04-27-2013 08:54 PM

Headers & downpipe/overpipe installation

So, I'm curious how hard is the nameless dp/op install? Can it be down with just jack & stands?

I've heard you have to lift the engine to install it. Is that true? I don't own an engine lift unfortunately.

How about headers? Do these require the engine to be lifted?

Thanks... 90% sure I want to go nameless op/dp combo, not sure on headers yet.

SmsAlSuwaidi 04-27-2013 09:22 PM

I heard the over/front pipe is doable without a lift but is a squeeze, regarding the headers you won't need any type of lifting and I guess it's easier than the overpipe (I guess)

Argento_FR-S 04-27-2013 10:30 PM

With my SRT header-back the hardest part was just getting the stock overpipe out. Takes a good bit of twisting and maneuvering, but isn't too bad. I managed to do the whole exhaust on jackstands.

GOT FR-S 04-28-2013 01:14 AM

I just installed the Rev Works header and Invidia Resonated top pipe today. Both simple and super easy. But the down pipe or over pipe (whatever you want to call it the one that connects the two and goes over the frame). We couldn't remove that piece at all and I had the car on a lift, but maybe if it was on jack stands it may have allowed the wheels to drop creating a little bit of room. But I doubt it..

cnk 04-28-2013 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GOT FR-S (Post 896381)
I just installed the Rev Works header and Invidia Resonated top pipe today. Both simple and super easy. But the down pipe or over pipe (whatever you want to call it the one that connects the two and goes over the frame). We couldn't remove that piece at all and I had the car on a lift, but maybe if it was on jack stands it may have allowed the wheels to drop creating a little bit of room. But I doubt it..

If you take the heat shields off, the stock over-pipe comes out towards the back with a little twisting.

Sent from my Transformer using Tapatalk 2

Xdragonxb0i 04-28-2013 01:53 AM

I had my car on ramps and use a Jack lift to lift the engine a few inches to get it out

cnk 04-28-2013 02:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xdragonxb0i (Post 896432)
I had my car on ramps and use a Jack lift to lift the engine a few inches to get it out

No need to even jack the engine up if you take the heat shields off.

tokiokun717 04-28-2013 06:42 AM

Are you getting it with the resonator or without? Because that makes a big difference. With the resonator you'll probably have to lift the engine a little (I've Experienced the install twice, one for mine and another for a friends and both required it).

With that said, the amount you have to lift is merely a couple inches max so you can get away with jacking the engine.

Tye300 04-28-2013 07:17 AM

You can take out the stock overpipe without jacking up the engine. Just take off the heat shields and with a little bit of maneuvering you can take it out towards the rear. Installing an aftermarket overpipe will involve jacking up the engine though.

mad_sb 04-28-2013 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonolin (Post 895968)
So, I'm curious how hard is the nameless dp/op install? Can it be down with just jack & stands?

I've heard you have to lift the engine to install it. Is that true? I don't own an engine lift unfortunately.

How about headers? Do these require the engine to be lifted?

Thanks... 90% sure I want to go nameless op/dp combo, not sure on headers yet.

Specifically for the nameless over / front combo with the helmhotz you do have to lift the engine. I put the car up on jack stands (front and rear for ground clerance) then took out the one bolt on the bottom side of the mount on the passanger side then carefully jacked the engine up from the bottom side using my floor jack with a foot long 2x4 across teh oil pan IIRC. You will need to jack it up a few inches to get enough clearance to get the over / front pipe in position then you can let it down.

Do NOT waste your time removing heat shields... that will help you get out the stock over pipe, but you still have to lift the passanger side of the engine to get the nameless over / front pipe in place. So you may as well pull off the stock over pipe after you lift the engine and save yourself 15 minutes.

I did the whole install (not expecting to need to lift the engine) in just over 1 hour.

EDIT: I think i put the 2x4 across under the factory headers... anyway, use something to spread the load across the contact area and go slowly, should not be a problem since you are not supporting the whole weight of the engine.

Sonolin 04-28-2013 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mad_sb (Post 896730)
Specifically for the nameless over / front combo with the helmhotz you do have to lift the engine. I put the car up on jack stands (front and rear for ground clerance) then took out the one bolt on the bottom side of the mount on the passanger side then carefully jacked the engine up from the bottom side using my floor jack with a foot long 2x4 across teh oil pan IIRC. You will need to jack it up a few inches to get enough clearance to get the over / front pipe in position then you can let it down.

Do NOT waste your time removing heat shields... that will help you get out the stock over pipe, but you still have to lift the passanger side of the engine to get the nameless over / front pipe in place. So you may as well pull off the stock over pipe after you lift the engine and save yourself 15 minutes.

I did the whole install (not expecting to need to lift the engine) in just over 1 hour.

EDIT: I think i put the 2x4 across under the factory headers... anyway, use something to spread the load across the contact area and go slowly, should not be a problem since you are not supporting the whole weight of the engine.

Awesome thank you! That's where my misunderstanding was, I didn't even realize you can just use a jack to lift it up (I thought you had to lift the entire engine up with an engine lift).

Sounds like a pretty easy install!

GOT FR-S 04-29-2013 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cnk (Post 896427)
If you take the heat shields off, the stock over-pipe comes out towards the back with a little twisting.

Good to know! thanks, I work around it. lol. I eventually want to change that out as its the last stock pc on my entire exhaust system. lol

mkivsoopra 04-29-2013 01:43 PM

I installed the Borla header and catted+resonated Nameless over/front pipe with the car on jackstands (front only). I did have to jack up the engine a few inches, and maneuvering the Nameless pipe into place was tight, but doable.

Carlitoz3 04-29-2013 02:35 PM

Can anyone post a picture of where exactly the jack is when lifting the engine?
I had no idea about this.