Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Was planning on using stock tires, but punctured one, so now what? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138634)

George Rosebush 01-17-2020 02:58 PM

Was planning on using stock tires, but punctured one, so now what?

As the title states, I was planning on using my stock tires for a number of trackdays as I learn, but on lap 1 session 2 of day 1 at Chuckwalla I badly punctured one, ended the day, had to crawl back on the spare donut to a tire shop. The tire I bought I thought was all season but is actually a Kumho summer tire.

Anyways, so much for that plan, as after what happened I'm definitely bringing an extra set of track only wheels and tires, so the question is what type. I'm leaning towards R compound tires such as the Nitto NT01, and I know the argument that a beginner shouldn't use such grippy tires, but I also don't want to buy tires only for the track that aren't, uhh, only for the track. I don't expect to ever do a trackday in rain, I don't care about being competitive, and I don't like the idea of learning on mismatched low grip all season tires.

The one session I did was on my all seasons, Goodyear Eagle Sports in the stock size, and I don't know if my lack of confidence in them was just my own lack of experience or if there really is no lateral grip, because that's what it felt like. Again, that could just be me not being used to cornering at speeds, but I would definitely like to feel more mid turn grip.

DarkPira7e 01-17-2020 03:12 PM

Pretty much all the 200tw tire category would fit your need. Why pigeon hole yourself into such a polarized setup? Pick one or the other, you can't both learn on a forgiving tire and also decide you're going to be a gripmaster right out of the gate.

14stu 01-17-2020 03:24 PM

Hankook RS4, my last set lasted 20 trackdays and they aren't much slower than an NT01. They take the heat well and have great characteristics.

George Rosebush 01-17-2020 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 14stu (Post 3291468)
Hankook RS4, my last set lasted 20 trackdays and they aren't much slower than an NT01. They take the heat well and have great characteristics.

Thanks, what size would you say for a 17X8 wheel? They don't come in the ideal sizes.

14stu 01-17-2020 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by George Rosebush (Post 3291474)
Thanks, what size would you say for a 17X8 wheel? They don't come in the ideal sizes.

245 would be optimum, but you can run anything form 225 to 255 without issues. They haven't shipped this year's run so there are only limited sizes and quantities available right now.

George Rosebush 01-17-2020 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 14stu (Post 3291475)
245 would be optimum.

Are these a continuation of the RS3?

14stu 01-17-2020 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by George Rosebush (Post 3291479)
Are these a continuation of the RS3?

They are the replacement for RS3, they have much higher grip levels but give up some of the heat tolerance (still hard to overheat but the RS3 could take a blowtorch and keep going).

They out last other 200tw tires and only give up grip to the RE71r. They are similar to the Falken 615k+ but last nearly twice as long and have slightly more grip.

finch1750 01-17-2020 04:13 PM

If the goal is to learn then buy the best tire for that. Dont get stuck on needing a "track tire" for track wheels. I have become a much better driver when I went to something less grippy than the RS3 I started on.

GT Radial SX2 would be awesome for you. Decent grip, takes abuse, great feedback, last a long time.

86_IT 01-17-2020 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finch1750 (Post 3291484)
If the goal is to learn then buy the best tire for that. Dont get stuck on needing a "track tire" for track wheels I have become a much better driver when I went to something less grippy than the RS3 I started on.

GT Radial SX2 would be awesome for you. Decent grip, takes abuse, great feedback, last a long time.

I second this and also add that they are very affordable compared to the other "track tires".

Sleepless 01-17-2020 04:48 PM

Flat tires are super rare so I wouldn't get another set of wheels just for that reason.

If you are just getting started in tracking your car then just get another stock tire, or go with a "normal" summer street tire. I can highly recommend Michelin's MP4S.

Definitely DO NOT get stickier track tires if just starting out; they will mask mistakes and will increase corner speeds which will make it harder to catch mistakes. I wouldn't even recommend 200TW tires for someone getting started since these can be as sticky as DOT R compound track tires.

George Rosebush 01-17-2020 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleepless (Post 3291501)
I can highly recommend Michelin's MP4S.

Those cost the most out of all the suggestions here.

Sleepless 01-17-2020 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by George Rosebush (Post 3291506)
Those cost the most out of all the suggestions here.

Cheaper than two sets of wheels/tires...

Sleepless 01-17-2020 06:40 PM

Nt01s and most track tires a very loud for street driving ...

George Rosebush 01-17-2020 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleepless (Post 3291529)
Cheaper than two sets of wheels/tires...

One set, I already have the one set for daily driving. So comfort/loudness wouldn't matter either.