Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   (TSB) No More Crickets Under My Hood!! (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18384)

xpicer 09-27-2012 01:02 AM

(TSB) No More Crickets Under My Hood!!

1 Attachment(s)
Finally, the fix has been posted on Toyota TIS. Time to schedule your visit to the dealer!!!!

Thanks to another member we now have the suby version as well!!! enjoy guys!!!

http://www.teknikrayon.net/docs/BRZ_fuelpumpTSB.pdf

mechaghost 09-27-2012 01:04 AM

Oh baby. Hopefully Subaru will do the same thing too

soconfoozed 09-27-2012 01:17 AM

SWEET MERCIFUL CRAP YES YES YES FINALLY

DaJo 09-27-2012 01:21 AM

Are they using the same exact part?... Their parts number are the "same" ... :iono:

TBBandit 09-27-2012 01:22 AM

Thanks times 100... been driving me crazy

mechaghost 09-27-2012 01:23 AM

Question is, do we need to change them out immediately or risk engine failure? The cricket sounds kinda grew on me ;P

Sigh-on-Rice 09-27-2012 01:25 AM

Good news! Thanks for posting. :)

jflogerzi 09-27-2012 01:27 AM

I will let a few people try it out first.

Guff 09-27-2012 01:28 AM

Hmmm, replace the entire HPFP assembly... Didn't think it would be that extreme...

Oh well, as long as they are fixing it...

soconfoozed 09-27-2012 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaJoian (Post 462825)
Are they using the same exact part?... Their parts number are the "same" ... :iono:

I noted this as well.

In engineering, and specifically in document control, we often refer to the revision and version of a design. Those words may sound the same, but frequently they're set apart by the form-fit-function standard.

Changes which impact form, fit or function are revision changes, whereas small updates that don't substantially change a given design are version changes.

Put another way, you can mix inventory of parts of varying version, usually. One would never mix inventory of differing revisions.

Based on this part number curiosity, it would seem that this isn't deemed a major change. It could be that the problem has a low incidence rate overall -- or at least, a low estimated incidence rate. And so, the "bad" parts are still actually useable and good, and can be used to depletion in current manufacturing. When this defect does actually manifest itself, those customers who bring their cars in will have the updated part installed, from the same inventory pool -- and likely won't but possibly may have the chirp return, in which case they're sure to just come back with their car...again, to receive repair parts from the same inventory pool. It may truly be that this defect is just not common. But eventually, all of the previous version parts will be consumed anyway, and this problem should be dead going forward.

It's the not-issue that Toyota and Subaru decided to not-not-fix. :lol: :sigh:

About time. This one shouldn't have made it out the door.

Hopefully that makes sense. I don't really know how a Toyota part number is structured, but it's probably something like this.

WolfsFang 09-27-2012 01:42 AM

oh i go in for my free oil change on friday, looks like i might bring this in with me also.

TRD_86 09-27-2012 01:44 AM

This is great !

dsgerbc 09-27-2012 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soconfoozed (Post 462850)
It may truly be that this defect is just not common.

Seriously? Like 80% of people on this forum are reporting it.
And in many states 3-4 repair attempts for the same issue = lemon law.

It would be stupid to be replacing it with the same exact HPFP.

SuperDave 09-27-2012 01:47 AM

i'm gonna take my car to a scion dealership...