Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   BRZ Photos, Videos, Wallpapers, Gallery Forum (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Drive TV: Should I Buy A Subaru BRZ or a BMW E46? ROAD TESTAMENT (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27816)

kanundrum 01-31-2013 10:45 AM

Drive TV: Should I Buy A Subaru BRZ or a BMW E46? ROAD TESTAMENT

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVaWvXxtAps"]Should I Buy A Subaru BRZ or a BMW E46? - ROAD TESTAMENT - YouTube[/ame]

powerj2 01-31-2013 10:52 AM

I was just gonna come post this!

I was looking into an e36 m3 or s2000 before i bought the frs. but never went with them because they are too expensive around here and had to go far to get one. (2000-3000km)

switchlanez 01-31-2013 12:39 PM

They mentioned a tweet from @touge-n00b. I recognize that handle from one of our own on here lol

Mr.Jay 01-31-2013 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by switchlanez (Post 702131)
They mentioned a tweet from @touge-n00b. I recognize that handle from one of our own on here lol

Haha as soon as they got to his tweet I knew he was from here

Go touge-n00b!

Guff 01-31-2013 03:07 PM

YEAAAHHHHHH @touge-n00b!!!!!

touge-n00b 01-31-2013 10:42 PM

LOL, thanks guys!! I was honestly shocked they mentioned me. Kinda wish I elaborated a bit more in favor of the BRZ in hind-sight.

OrbitalEllipses 01-31-2013 10:45 PM

Everything they mention is valid...for the enthusiast with more than one car. I always felt like the BRZ was the best purchase I could make for a NEW car that would be my ONLY car. A lot of the cars they mention wouldn't cut it as a DD for me or are German. No likey German cars that much.

That 964 though...do want. 993 as well.

asia_minor 01-31-2013 10:47 PM

while all the other options are nice, the BRZ has a warranty and reliability you can count on. unless you getting it as a second car, those things are priorities in a daily driver.

enigma 02-03-2013 01:08 AM

Save the E46 M3 they mentioned, basically every single car they brought up is better served as a weekend toy. In regards to the E46, as someone who just sold an S54 powered M Coupe... maintenance is CONSIDERABLY more expensive than the projected costs for the FR-S.

I've maintained for a bit that it's incredibly difficult to find a car that does as much right as the FR-S does, but still maintains its daily drivability. No, it doesn't have monster power, but it also returns over 30 MPG on the highway. No, it doesn't necessarily provide the same hardcore sports car "look" like that of an S2000 or something similar, but it also has a trunk that is a decent size and provides a fairly comfortable driving experience for long trips and what not. No, it's not as exotic or "special" as an NSX, 911, 300ZXTT, insert random older fantastic sports car here, but it can also be had for $25k as a new car, not as one that is 20+ years old with 80-125k miles.

If you only want one car, it's hard to beat. If you're buying it as a weekend toy... you should probably be buying an NSX instead. :p

was385 02-06-2013 07:37 PM

Listening to those two was unbearable.

Jared0934 02-06-2013 08:50 PM

I second that. These guys are tough to listen to... Mr Shock and Awe aspect should've driven a FRS/BRZ around the first 6 months they were out... People taking pictures at red lights, can't even park without coming out to a few ppl looking in, endless thumbs up all over the place... shock and awe my ass lotus are good looking but FRS/BRZ with the right color/mods looks hands down better and not like a hotwheels

organik 02-06-2013 09:20 PM

There are so many pros and cons to consider, and I've looked at them all.

Modded Evo's, 350z, S2k, R32, M3, 400whp S13, etc....

Same price point, but at the end of the day, it came down to two factors in favor of the 86 twins: Low upkeep, and the newness of it. Like the feeling of buying a brand new t-shirt knowing that the only armpit odor coming off of it is mine. Driving a used car is like wearing someone else's dirty laundry.

The hardest pill to swallow is that buying a new car is the worst dollar investment you can make.

n2oinferno 02-06-2013 10:17 PM

I keep going over this in my mind as well to be honest. There are plenty of great cars out there even around 15 grand. I went to take a look at one of the others at the top of my list, a NC Miata PRHT. It was freezing, the dealership was closing, and I'd driven one in the past, so the quick look over I got had me seriously considering coming back the next day and dealing. The Toyota dealership next door is connected right to the Jaguar dealership that had the Miata, and as I was leaving I saw a black FRS they had just received. That's all it took for me to decide not to get the Miata.

It will come in time. Just gotta be patient...

micmic 02-06-2013 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by was385 (Post 717150)
Listening to those two was unbearable.

Thank you. I was not the only one thinking that...

It was a car review for non-car people.