Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   "click" sound only when throttle is engaged, and dis-engaged AT (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41762)

BRZPDX 07-16-2013 12:36 PM

"click" sound only when throttle is engaged, and dis-engaged AT

After an Auto-X event, I noticed a "click" sound only when I take off in first (M mode) and when I take my foot off the pedal, another "click" sound. It seems like it is coming from the rear diff area, not from engine bay. Anyone here have similar issues? When I am free revving my engine in neutral, no click sound what so ever, so seems like it needs to be engaged in gear. Only on take off's, and a very slow take off, I don't hear the "click" sound.

Throttle on - "click" and it stops, even after I shift up, only at take off it makes the noise.

Throttle of - "click", once more, then no noise, even after going to a stop.

FRSBRZGT86FAN 07-16-2013 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRZPDX (Post 1073333)
After an Auto-X event, I noticed a "click" sound only when I take off in first (M mode) and when I take my foot off the pedal, another "click" sound. It seems like it is coming from the rear diff area, not from engine bay. Anyone here have similar issues? When I am free revving my engine in neutral, no click sound what so ever, so seems like it needs to be engaged in gear. Only on take off's, and a very slow take off, I don't hear the "click" sound.

Throttle on - "click" and it stops, even after I shift up, only at take off it makes the noise.

Throttle of - "click", once more, then no noise, even after going to a stop.

Throttle body maybe?

BRZPDX 07-16-2013 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN (Post 1073349)
Throttle body maybe?

I though about this too, but if it is the throttle body, it will "click" if I free rev the engine, but only when the car is in motion, which leads me to think it is coming from the tranny or the rear diff. I don't feel any difference other than the odd noise.

Only recent changes were changing my ATF to RedLine high temp fluid, and my diff oil was changed out like 2 months ago to Motul high temp fluid. And ofcourse a hard day at Auto-X.

FRSBRZGT86FAN 07-16-2013 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRZPDX (Post 1073818)
I though about this too, but if it is the throttle body, it will "click" if I free rev the engine, but only when the car is in motion, which leads me to think it is coming from the tranny or the rear diff. I don't feel any difference other than the odd noise.

Only recent changes were changing my ATF to RedLine high temp fluid, and my diff oil was changed out like 2 months ago to Motul high temp fluid. And ofcourse a hard day at Auto-X.

I think it would be best to take it to the dealer under warranty they won't deny you for Auto-X as long as you don't have any aftermarket mods that affect the drive-line (fluids won't void it). Best of luck, I think you should head to the dealer.:thumbsup:

vgi 07-18-2013 04:50 PM

could it be rear diff when you just apply gas

BRZPDX 07-20-2013 08:24 PM

FIXED:

The noise was coming from the driver side (left) rear axle, and the axle bolt was slightly loose. Tightened it down a quarter of a circle, and voala, no more "click" sound when moving from a stop, and coming from a stop.

The tech is not sure what exactly was causing the noise, but maybe from axle bearing as well since auto-x is hard on them (more so than track I guess).

Carwhisperer 07-20-2013 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRZPDX (Post 1084894)
FIXED:

The noise was coming from the driver side (left) rear axle, and the axle bolt was slightly loose. Tightened it down a quarter of a circle, and voala, no more "click" sound when moving from a stop, and coming from a stop.

The tech is not sure what exactly was causing the noise, but maybe from axle bearing as well since auto-x is hard on them (more so than track I guess).

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCyJ5-10QyE"]VID 20130616 175852 - YouTube[/ame] that the clicking noise you are reffering to? starts to make the noise at 0:13

This sound comes from the front right finder area.

BRZPDX 07-23-2013 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carwhisperer (Post 1085047)
VID 20130616 175852 - YouTube that the clicking noise you are reffering to? starts to make the noise at 0:13

OMG the same sound!! You need to tighten the axle nut, from the axle that is making the noise. That solved the issue for me for now.

SkullWorks 07-24-2013 11:25 AM

I will be checking my left rear axle nut...I have similar noise on accel or decel

Carwhisperer 07-24-2013 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRZPDX (Post 1090827)
OMG the same sound!! You need to tighten the axle nut, from the axle that is making the noise. That solved the issue for me for now.

Thanks, i'll check my front right one. That's where the sound is coming from.

BRZPDX 07-24-2013 07:06 PM

have you guys both been auto-Xing, drifting or drive hard a lot? Just curious since this noise started right after a Auto-X sesh for me.

Carwhisperer 07-24-2013 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRZPDX (Post 1094097)
have you guys both been auto-Xing, drifting or drive hard a lot? Just curious since this noise started right after a Auto-X sesh for me.

+1 for drifting/driving "hard"..

feldy 08-06-2013 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRZPDX (Post 1084894)
FIXED:

I just started to get this last week. Been trying to figure out where the hell it came from. Do you have a picture of what was loose?

feldy 08-06-2013 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carwhisperer (Post 1085047)
VID 20130616 175852 - YouTube that the clicking noise you are reffering to? starts to make the noise at 0:13

Same fucking sound lol glad I found this thread. what axle nut is there I have not been under the back that much to look at the axles. Is it where it goes into the diff or the hubs?