Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   You know that manual is dying when... (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137266)

Lim 10-11-2019 12:28 PM

You know that manual is dying when...

I have dropped my manual car at Subaru dealer for some service. Took a loaner. In few minutes they are calling back to me:

Subaru service: Do you have problem with a battery?
Me: no , why?
Subaru service: we can not start your car.
Me: I have put new battery 10 months back and have no issue starting my car.
Dealer: are you sure?
Me: yes I am.
Subaru service: Ok, let us check it.

It was my wife legacy. They did not call back. When I was picking up I asked: Have you found clutch pedal?
Dealer: yes. Soon it will be like anti-thief device. :bonk:

This is actually was second time they did this.

StraightOuttaCanadaEh 10-11-2019 12:29 PM

At a Subaru dealer???? I understand toyota (technician couldn't get my car up the tiny ramp, kept stalling), but Subaru???

Lim 10-11-2019 12:33 PM

At least they were able to start it :)

8RZ 10-11-2019 12:39 PM

What a sick sad world we live in.

Joveen 10-11-2019 12:42 PM

I almost bust out laughing at work. This is madness. Hahaha

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

DarkPira7e 10-11-2019 12:51 PM

Do you have rubber floor mats? When I worked for AAA, a lot of people claimed their cars wouldn't start, but it was because their floor mats were blocking the clutch switch

Lim 10-11-2019 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkPira7e (Post 3266123)
Do you have rubber floor mats? When I worked for AAA, a lot of people claimed their cars wouldn't start, but it was because their floor mats were blocking the clutch switch

Stock mats with lock to the floor. Mats were not a problem.

Will BRZ 10-11-2019 01:11 PM

Geez second time? That’s a problem :lol:

DarkPira7e 10-11-2019 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lim (Post 3266124)
Stock mats with lock to the floor. Mats were not a problem.

Crazy. I find it tough to believe people working in an automotive scene wouldn't know to use the clutch

Tcoat 10-11-2019 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkPira7e (Post 3266133)
Crazy. I find it tough to believe people working in an automotive scene wouldn't know to use the clutch

The lot car jockeys that move the vehicles around are often young inexperienced drivers not the techs. Not surprising at all that it could happen even on a Subaru lot.
Gonna watch who posts derogatory remarks here and see if at least one of them didn't post "New to MT any tips?" within the last couple of years on here.

ScoobsMcGee 10-11-2019 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcoat (Post 3266142)
The lot car jockeys that move the vehicles around are often young inexperienced drivers not the techs. Not surprising at all that it could happen even on a Subaru lot.
Gonna watch who posts derogatory remarks here and see if at least one of them didn't post "New to MT any tips?" within the last couple of years on here.

Conversation at the dealership:

Lot jockey: "This car won't start, I think the battery is dead."
Service Writer: "Does it try to start at all, or not even crank?"
LJ: "It does nothing, doesn't even try to start."
SW: *sees the clutch* "I don't know why it won't start, perhaps you should call the customer and ask."
LJ: "Really? Okay, I'll do that."
SW: "Oh crap, he's actually calling. Again!"

Tcoat 10-11-2019 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScoobsMcGee (Post 3266158)
Conversation at the dealership:

Lot jockey: "This car won't start, I think the battery is dead."
Service Writer: "Does it try to start at all, or not even crank?"
LJ: "It does nothing, doesn't even try to start."
SW: *sees the clutch* "I don't know why it won't start, perhaps you should call the customer and ask."
LJ: "Really? Okay, I'll do that."
SW: "Oh crap, he's actually calling. Again!"

Could be worse. Could be car from pre 1970 or so that didn't have the switch and could be started in gear.

NWFRS 10-11-2019 03:27 PM

I had a similar goober moment when my wife bought her automatic RAV4 in 2013. I'd driven manual Japanese and Italian sport coupes all my life. Autos always threw me into momentary confusion when starting and stopping. You know how that goes. Anyway we finish up with financing and hop into the new car. I'm driving for whatever reason. I push the start button and nothing happens. We look at each other not knowing what to do. So I open the door and ask the sales guy what I'm doing wrong. Gotta depress the brake to do the push-button. Felt like an idiot. Felt like I had no business buying a new car.

Joveen 10-11-2019 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NWFRS (Post 3266197)
I had a similar goober moment when my wife bought her automatic RAV4 in 2013. I'd driven manual Japanese and Italian sport coupes all my life. Autos always threw me into momentary confusion when starting and stopping. You know how that goes. Anyway we finish up with financing and hop into the new car. I'm driving for whatever reason. I push the start button and nothing happens. We look at each other not knowing what to do. So I open the door and ask the sales guy what I'm doing wrong. Gotta depress the brake to do the push-button. Felt like an idiot. Felt like I had no business buying a new car.

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk