Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine Swaps (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   Shop recommendations in SF Bay area to do a swap? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129283)

86fun 07-29-2018 09:40 PM

Shop recommendations in SF Bay area to do a swap?

I think I'm ready to put in a 2J, but I'm going to pass on doing it myself this time. Is there anyone good in the Bay Area? Pure Auto is on the other side of the country, but LA is a possibility too... I don't want any rookies on this one, need some good suggestions!

Irace86.2.0 07-30-2018 12:49 PM

If you are buying a Pure Auto swap kit then maybe they would do a discount if you shipped your car to them and paid for them to do the swap too. The cost might be worth shipping it, especially if you are already dropping that much coin. I can understand if you wanted someone local in case something needs a revision or fixing, but shipping the car could still prove to be the best idea.

I don’t know anyone local. Neil at The Racers Line might be able to do the swap or at minimum know someone. I’m sure if Neil had the Pure Automotive swap kit that he could do the swap.

Are you looking for someone to do the install and you will source all the parts or do you need someone who will source the motor, tranny, etc?

86fun 07-30-2018 04:02 PM

Ideally one place to do everything seems best. Maybe I need to break it up in to parts... one place for motor acquisition and build, another for fitment and fab work, and another for final assembly/install, and then a tuner?

Above all I really would like pros with the 2J build as I want the motor build and configuration to be solid. Who is best in the Bay Area with 2J's?

ILLSMOQ 07-30-2018 04:45 PM

If you’re going motec, regardless of the motor, with the amount of tuning required after the swap is completed, shipping your car to Pure to have them do everything will save you lots money in the long run....plus, since they have been running through so many swaps lately, your chances of getting a reliable car back should be higher I would think.

86fun 07-30-2018 05:11 PM

You guys are probably right, shipping off would be best. I was really hoping to keep it local mostly for the support, as I can imagine a lot could and probably would go wrong with a swap like this until you sort out all the weak links in the drivetrain and install bugs. If we had a good shop in the area that would definitely push me to going for it, I will have to think about it more now.

Irace86.2.0 07-30-2018 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 86fun (Post 3116081)
You guys are probably right, shipping off would be best. I was really hoping to keep it local mostly for the support, as I can imagine a lot could and probably would go wrong with a swap like this until you sort out all the weak links in the drivetrain and install bugs. If we had a good shop in the area that would definitely push me to going for it, I will have to think about it more now.

If you wanted to do some budget route for a dedicated track car then perhaps there would be money to be saved by doing as much of the work you could like securing a motor, pulling the bumper, motor and tranny, and delivering a chassis, 2jz, etc to the shop, but if you were going to have this as a street car or daily, and wanted it to feel like stock then Pure Motive has the kit, can get the parts, can do the install and it will feel like the car came with a 2jz. You may actually save money that way too than trying to do it all with multiple shops or with one off components.

86fun 07-30-2018 11:46 PM

This is going to be a street car. I was definitely thinking the Pure kit because of that, I want everything to work in the dash/console. What I'm not so sure about is the rest of the drivetrain, diff, axles, and maybe rear knuckle/hubs. Seems like that is a bit of an unknown for doing the swap and probably needs some fab work. Otherwise, yea, any shop should be able to put in the plug and play stuff. Guess I'll give Brady a call and see what he can do.

Sportsguy83 07-31-2018 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 86fun (Post 3116227)
This is going to be a street car. I was definitely thinking the Pure kit because of that, I want everything to work in the dash/console. What I'm not so sure about is the rest of the drivetrain, diff, axles, and maybe rear knuckle/hubs. Seems like that is a bit of an unknown for doing the swap and probably needs some fab work. Otherwise, yea, any shop should be able to put in the plug and play stuff. Guess I'll give Brady a call and see what he can do.

You'll need a custom driveshaft, but the stock diff is strong enough for a 500 whp build. You need to start thinking about swapping it for a Ford 8.8 if you're shooting for say 700+.

Stock axles would last, if you're not going to be doing a lot of launches and are not ridiculously low. I'd recommend DSS axle upgrade. Nothing else is required for the rear.

CSG Mike 07-31-2018 05:28 PM

Elite Performance

strmshadow84 08-01-2018 12:24 AM

If your up North (Santa Rosa) you can try RPM in Rohnert Park, that's where I have my LS rx7 at, and they seem to do good work.

Bach415 08-01-2018 12:41 AM

If this is going to be a street car in Cali, have you thought about the consequences of it not being a bar legal swap + smog?

Irace86.2.0 08-01-2018 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bach415 (Post 3116700)
If this is going to be a street car in Cali, have you thought about the consequences of it not being a bar legal swap + smog?

Only if he gets popped. Many areas of California are smog exempt, especially up here north of Santa Rosa, so no worries about finding a smog shop to pay off.

86fun 08-01-2018 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strmshadow84 (Post 3116699)
If your up North (Santa Rosa) you can try RPM in Rohnert Park, that's where I have my LS rx7 at, and they seem to do good work.

Yea, I had Martin build my 3SGTE race motor about 15yrs ago. They are pretty heavy domestic though, at least last time I visited. I was hoping for a place with 2J experience... or at least import experience.

86fun 08-01-2018 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bach415 (Post 3116700)

I don't live in a smog zone, I don't have to get smogged. If I sell it, then it has to go out of state. The car is going to remain 100% stock on the outside.