Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   63,000 and throwout bearing ruined everything (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96644)

riironman 10-23-2015 12:23 PM

63,000 and throwout bearing ruined everything

I have the extended 5 year 100,000 warranty and they wont cover any of it. the throwout bearing failed and destroyed flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, fork and pilot sleeve . its bull shit. I drive a 1000 miles a week and worried since I have one of the higher mileage cars on here we will see issues coming up. so I have to pay $2530.14 to fix...oh but they will pay for a #$@$% rental car!

Tcoat 10-23-2015 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by riironman (Post 2429471)
I have the extended 5 year 100,000 warranty and they wont cover any of it. the throwout bearing failed and destroyed flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, fork and pilot sleeve . its bull shit. I drive a 1000 miles a week and worried since I have one of the higher mileage cars on here we will see issues coming up. so I have to pay $2530.14 to fix...oh but they will pay for a #$@$% rental car!

All of those (other than the flywheel if it was the only issue) are considered "wear items" and are not covered by warranty. It states it very clearly in the regular warranty but I don't know the wording of the extended. Some dealers have been know to cover it but unfortunately they don't have to.

riironman 10-23-2015 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcoat (Post 2429485)
All of those (other than the flywheel if it was the only issue) are considered "wear items" and are not covered by warranty. It states it very clearly in the regular warranty but I don't know the wording of the extended. Some dealers have been know to cover it but unfortunately they don't have to.

yes but I thought the thowout bearing is part of the drivetrain

Tcoat 10-23-2015 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by riironman (Post 2429493)
yes but I thought the thowout bearing is part of the drivetrain

It should be in my opinion but the second they call it a bearing it becomes a "wear" part.
Is yours a 13? I have already gone past your mileage with my 14 and have not had an issue yet but it is such a common problem on here I think it is just a matter of time (unless they changed something for the14 MY).

riironman 10-23-2015 12:40 PM

yes a 13. you have over 63,000?

Tcoat 10-23-2015 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by riironman (Post 2429510)
yes a 13. you have over 63,000?

Not by much but a little. I work in 3 different cities then where I live and spend 14 hours a week just driving from plant to plant.

riironman 10-23-2015 01:07 PM

so far only thing that has failed me is battery, tail lights full of water and the usual oil leak on valve cover. and now this.

raven1231 10-23-2015 01:11 PM

All the reason to upgrade! Sorry to hear it though man.

I never buy extended warranties because the things that actually wear down aren't covered, so, unless you haven something very abnormal happen you're paying out of pocket anyway. Guess that's how they make money though, just the same as any insurance.

Tcoat 10-23-2015 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by riironman (Post 2429560)
so far only thing that has failed me is battery, tail lights full of water and the usual oil leak on valve cover. and now this.

All I have had was a squeaky window and they fixed that right up.

riironman 10-23-2015 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raven1231 (Post 2429567)

I never buy extended warranties because the things that actually wear down aren't covered, so, unless you haven something very abnormal happen you're paying out of pocket anyway. Guess that's how they make money though, just the same as any insurance.

but I messed up when Toyota said they had to pull tranny to make sure if they would cover it. if I knew all along I wouldn't of been covered I wouldn't of went to Toyota . it was over 700 just to pull tranny. and they will only put oem parts back in.

raven1231 10-23-2015 01:40 PM

[quote=riironman;2429602]
Quote:

I never buy extended warranties because the things that actually wear down aren't covered, so, unless you haven something very abnormal happen you're paying out of pocket anyway. Guess that's how they make money though, just the same as any insurance.[/Q

but I messed up when Toyota said they had to pull tranny to make sure if they would cover it. if I knew all along I wouldn't of been covered I wouldn't of went to Toyota . it was over 700 just to pull tranny. and they will only put oem parts back in.

I hear ya man...That's shitty. Would cost you another 700 just to have them put it back too.

Estey 10-23-2015 01:42 PM

[quote=riironman;2429602]
Quote:

I never buy extended warranties because the things that actually wear down aren't covered, so, unless you haven something very abnormal happen you're paying out of pocket anyway. Guess that's how they make money though, just the same as any insurance.[/Q

Damn, thats terrible :thumbdown: I would look at your extended warranty, and if there are any parts that would be covered under warranty I would take it up with them, and argue the bill.

I remember debating if I should pay for a B.S. diagnostic when my ignition coil failed, but I later found out that it wasnt covered under warranty, so im glad I didnt. I kept on asking them if it would be covered if it turned out to be a bad ignition coil, and they never gave me an answer.

anyways, good luck man! I hope everything turns out for the better

Im at 70,300 miles in my AT, and so far I have only had a failed ignition coil which I replaced myself, but my battery is going too. Ill leave my lights on for a couple minutes while pumping gas, and my car wont start lol

humfrz 10-23-2015 02:20 PM

DANG! .........that sucks .........:mad0260:

May I ask when your car was built ... ??

Do you have any power (SC/TC) mods ...??

Do you track the car ... ??

humfrz

jawn 10-23-2015 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Estey (Post 2429622)
Im at 70,300 miles in my AT, and so far I have only had a failed ignition coil which I replaced myself, but my battery is going too. Ill leave my lights on for a couple minutes while pumping gas, and my car wont start lol

Batteries going bad sounds about right. With as many electronics as cars have these days, we can probably expect this to be the new normal - batteries needing replacement after only a few years.