Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Star Wars Episode VII -- SPOILERS INSIDE (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99013)

mav1178 12-18-2015 01:37 AM

Star Wars Episode VII -- SPOILERS INSIDE

WOW.

Holy fucking shit.

I need to compose myself first and put together thoughtful posts... but first, need to sleep.

I watched Episode I to VII in sequence at the theater from 1AM to 10PM today. Absolutely thrilled for how a new story is born out of an old one.

scottxnizzle 12-18-2015 12:39 PM

movie was awesome!

Vladimir Tutin 12-18-2015 01:10 PM

Loved it also.

Spoilers Below:

It did bother me how fast Rey was able to use her abilities. Like how did she know that she could influence ones mind?

Also was pretty annoyed with Leia that instead of consoling Chewie after they got back she hugged Rey who's known Han for what, a few days?

Dave-ROR 12-18-2015 02:37 PM

Eh I'm a fan (not a crazy fan just fan as in I like the other movies - mostly) and I thought it was OK. I'm super glad I didn't pay for it and didn't have to go at midnight (watched it at 7PM last night thanks to a work vendor premiere).

New versions of basically the same characters. Dunno, I was underwhelmed - it could have been much better IMO.

At least the stormtroopers can aim better.

jawn 12-18-2015 03:18 PM

JJ Abrams still does not understand how large space is.

Deus Ex R2D2.

Completely glossed over the blowing up of Hosnian Prime.

Asides from those 3 things, I liked it.

Vladimir Tutin 12-18-2015 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jawn (Post 2485476)
JJ Abrams still does not understand how large space is.

Deus Ex R2D2.

Asides from those 3 things, I liked it.

That reminds me, I didn't like the out of ship shots of the Millennium Falcon when in lightspeed.

WhiteFRS69 12-18-2015 04:53 PM

just gonna leave this here

http://www.complex.com/pop-culture/2...share=facebook

fumanchu1 12-18-2015 05:41 PM

didn't look at anything in the thread but I commend you on the big SPOILER warning in your title. That being said LALALALALALALALALALALALALAL

mav1178 12-18-2015 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jawn (Post 2485476)

Well... Lucas did the same by blowing up Alderaan like it was nothing, so this is nothing new.

-alex

jawn 12-18-2015 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mav1178 (Post 2485633)
Well... Lucas did the same by blowing up Alderaan like it was nothing, so this is nothing new.

-alex

A fair assessment, and I imagine Episode 8 will spend more time on the issue, but my friend who I saw it with totally did not grasp that the New Republic capital was blown up, because they covered it with like one line.

mav1178 12-18-2015 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jawn (Post 2485677)
A fair assessment, and I imagine Episode 8 will spend more time on the issue, but my friend who I saw it with totally did not grasp that the New Republic capital was blown up, because they covered it with like one line.

Should also be noted to why the Resistance has to fight the battles for the New Republic like a paramilitary force instead of being the actual New Republic forces.

Seems like the First Order is just one aspect of the remnants of the Empire that we have yet to see.

I actually appreciated this part, it made the story more simple and not filled with dialogue bloatware like Episode II/III

jawn 12-18-2015 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mav1178 (Post 2485683)
Should also be noted to why the Resistance has to fight the battles for the New Republic like a paramilitary force instead of being the actual New Republic forces.

Seems like the First Order is just one aspect of the remnants of the Empire that we have yet to see.

I actually appreciated this part, it made the story more simple and not filled with dialogue bloatware like Episode II/III

Yeah, obviously spending 5 minutes on it would've been excessive, but maybe a 2nd line about it would've been enough - i.e. to temper their celebration at the end, because let's face it - things are bad.

mav1178 12-18-2015 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jawn (Post 2485686)
Yeah, obviously spending 5 minutes on it would've been excessive, but maybe a 2nd line about it would've been enough - i.e. to temper their celebration at the end, because let's face it - things are bad.

What I really want to know is, where the hell is Luke's dialogue/voiceover from Teaser #2 shown at Celebration 2015?

He had zero lines in this. ZERO.

G-awesome 12-18-2015 07:29 PM

I watched the first showing today at 10am since my office is beside the movie theatre and had no major project deadlines for today LOL

As a big fan of star wars, overall, I enjoyed it! BUT it's not perfect. The movie had the feel and adventure of the original but I was a bit disappointed in the movie storyline. I feel like there was too much fan servicing and the story line for this movie is basically like the new hope! I guess Disney wanted to take the 'safe' route and hire JJ Abrams for the job. It really makes you wonder what direction/story ideas that Lucas had for the sequel...since Disney thought it was too 'bold' for the franchise.

Loved the new characters and the overall set up of the trilogy. I liked the direction and development of Kylo Ren. He's clearly not a sith lord and is very inexperienced and young hence being more of a fanboy than even a sith apprentice since he was taken down by Rey (he was injured by Chewie and conflicted with killing Han). I have a feeling that Rey is Luke's daughter but it's not clear yet. Not much is known about Finn yet so I'm not totally convinced he's force sensitive.