Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine, Exhaust, Transmission (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Exhaust too louder in the cabin (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54020)

Junkwipe 12-21-2013 01:42 AM

Exhaust too louder in the cabin

Hi guys, i have installed my new Agency Power catback yesterday.

When I went to try it out I noticed that the exhaust create a lot of disturbing sound in the cabin, when i accelerate or in a range of 3k/4k rmp i have a bass sound like when you have a side window down and you go fast.

How can i mitigate this annoying loud? I can try to disinstall the noise generator?

SmsAlSuwaidi 12-21-2013 01:46 AM

That is called drone, different people have different tolerance to drone. The sound generator tube won't affect it and the only way to solve this is to either change your catback or add a res. Somewhere

Junkwipe 12-21-2013 01:49 AM

With a db killer it's not possible solve this a little?

IAmNotTheDriftKing 12-21-2013 02:20 AM

I suggest getting a perrin resonated catback or something with both a muffler and a resonator(invidia Q300 is another good choice). You can still have a loud car without all the droning. It may cost a bit more but you will love it!

s2d4 12-21-2013 02:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Junkwipe (Post 1404046)
How can i mitigate this annoying loud?

Get rid of that junk.

Junkwipe 12-21-2013 02:23 AM

mmmh ok guys thanks a lot. I see in the new year what to do :)

Clipdat 12-21-2013 02:58 AM

This is the best response so far. Anytime you swap the stock exhaust for a dual canister system, you are going to get a lot more vibration and resonance being transferred through to the cabin. The reason for this is that with a dual muffler design, you are essentially doubling the amount of noise being generated by your exhaust. Think about it, the exhaust gasses are being channeled to two identical mufflers, they are going to resonate against each other and make the low bass tones really amplified.

If you want a good sounding exhaust I agree, get then Perrin or Q300. I have a dual canister setup on my car because I love how it looks, but it definitely gets on my nerves when I'm just trying to run around town and drive normally.

That being said, I don't think I'll ever get rid of it because when you're on the twisties and you hit the gas the sound is absolutely amazing!

Quote:

Originally Posted by IAmNotTheDriftKing (Post 1404076)
I suggest getting a perrin resonated catback or something with both a muffler and a resonator(invidia Q300 is another good choice). You can still have a loud car without all the droning. It may cost a bit more but you will love it!

humfrz 12-21-2013 03:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Junkwipe (Post 1404078)
mmmh ok guys thanks a lot. I see in the new year what to do :)

Hi Junkwipe ..... http://www.runemasterstudios.com/gra...mages/wave.gif

Yep, it sounds like you have some drone from the exhaust.

Short of modifying the exhaust system, you may try stuffing a plug (the one that came out of the outlet behind the glovebox will fit) into the mouth of the sound generator (under the dash - behing the footwell carpeting on the passenger side).

Also, it may help if you line the spare tire well with a sound deadening material such as Dynamat (or, cheaper, Peel & Seal from a home improvement store). That sucker acts like a big drum.

humfrz

Junkwipe 12-21-2013 06:20 AM

Thanks to all guys.
Where i can find a resonator? I wanna try this way because the exhaust's sound it's awesome, it's a universal part or i have to contact agency power?

350matt 12-21-2013 01:13 PM

Nameless sell a mid pipe with a resonator

SloS14 12-21-2013 01:19 PM

I installed a Q300 the other day. Great DD exhaust. Cruising is only slightly noticeably louder than stock.

krulux 12-21-2013 01:34 PM

Take it to a muffler shop - have them install a 18" or if you want even less/no drone a full 24" resonator. Should only be $100-$150 installed. Ask them to weld, not clamp.

Buying a kit is is buying convenience... but a good muffler shop can build a comparable custom system for less. It's not rocket science - it's exhaust... and lot what folks praise as the best is nothing but opinion - IMO.

BlueDubbinTDI 12-21-2013 02:12 PM

Disinstall...lol

Junkwipe 12-21-2013 02:45 PM

I'm italian, in italy there aren't mufflers shop i have to do all from internet :D