Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Dome Light Issues (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124620)

Brz_racer 01-11-2018 10:50 PM

Dome Light Issues

So last year i installed an LED Dome light and also LED Light Strips on the driver and passenger side that are wired to the dome light so anytime you open the door they all come on. Within the past month and a half the dome light started flickering and jiggling the switch would usually fix it. However as of the past week it now does not work at all. I checked all the wiring and its good, the only thing i can think is that the dome light switch has finally gone bad. Anyone have a similar issue or have any other suggestions as to what I could try?

norcalpb 01-11-2018 11:13 PM

Take apart the dome light and remove the switch. You’ll see 3 leads that the switch runs over and you just need to bend those back so they have a more firm connection on the switch.

Brz_racer 01-11-2018 11:27 PM

Okay, ill give this a try, i guess worst case i need to replace the dome light assembly, I was reading about how people were frying the BIU with LED's but i dont think thats whats going on here.

Irace86.2.0 01-12-2018 12:16 AM

I have a Diode Dynamics led dome light. Lately it has been not working. Sometimes it is on. Sometimes it is off. Sometimes it seems dim. I can remove the shield and twist the LED light, and it will turn on. I figured the light could be bad or the connection was poor. I have yet to replace the LED light with the stock bulb to test if it is the LED light or to rule out a bad connection.

Brz_racer 01-12-2018 12:53 AM

Yeah the aftermarket bulbs seem to be hit or miss, especially the ones with the cheapass plastic adapter with the spring

Brz_racer 01-12-2018 04:24 PM

Loose connection was the cause in case anyone was curious i moved the adapter and the lights came on, just wasnt secured in the slot properly

leevanf 01-15-2018 02:49 AM

Been buying LEDs since 2014 on different cars from Ijdmtoy, superbrightLEDs, diodedynamics, vleds, TRS, xenondepot.

I can only say that VLEDs are the only ones that have never died on me so far.
Basic rule i found out is dont get marketed over really high power LEDs. stick with low power long life ones. Also makes the car look more OEM.

tina144 01-15-2018 04:30 AM

Hi, so I just got a 2015 frs. Do you know why the LED/HID headlights flicker? It's not necessarily a on and off switch, its more of a rapid motion that the light makes.. it's only on one side. I found some guy off of instagram/yelp.. seemed legit & he came back the 2nd time to replace the bulb of the headlight. Now its happening again >.< ! However, the only time it does this is when my light switch is turned to the bottom " o " symbol or the two lights facing eachother symbol. I do apologize on my lack of knowledge when it comes to cars, but signing up to this forum is the step in right direction. :D -K

spike021 01-15-2018 04:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 (Post 3027121)
I have a Diode Dynamics led dome light. Lately it has been not working. Sometimes it is on. Sometimes it is off. Sometimes it seems dim. I can remove the shield and twist the LED light, and it will turn on. I figured the light could be bad or the connection was poor. I have yet to replace the LED light with the stock bulb to test if it is the LED light or to rule out a bad connection.

Random question: is the weather usually cold/damp when this happens?

I had installed a dome light board LED from diode dynamics several months ago and noticed it wouldn’t work if the temperature was roughly 45 F and lower as well as the air being damp.

Finally replaced it the other day and it seems to be working properly in that environment now (will need to keep testing it the next few weeks).

Irace86.2.0 01-15-2018 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spike021 (Post 3028227)
Random question: is the weather usually cold/damp when this happens?

I had installed a dome light board LED from diode dynamics several months ago and noticed it wouldn’t work if the temperature was roughly 45 F and lower as well as the air being damp.

Finally replaced it the other day and it seems to be working properly in that environment now (will need to keep testing it the next few weeks).

I haven’t been able to lock down a pattern. It seems to be random.

Brz_racer 01-16-2018 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tina144 (Post 3028225)
Hi, so I just got a 2015 frs. Do you know why the LED/HID headlights flicker? It's not necessarily a on and off switch, its more of a rapid motion that the light makes.. it's only on one side. I found some guy off of instagram/yelp.. seemed legit & he came back the 2nd time to replace the bulb of the headlight. Now its happening again >.< ! However, the only time it does this is when my light switch is turned to the bottom " o " symbol or the two lights facing eachother symbol. I do apologize on my lack of knowledge when it comes to cars, but signing up to this forum is the step in right direction. :D -K

Check the connection to the bulb itself, moisture may have got on the connection, I would disconnect the plug to the bulb and clean it with contact cleaner and see if that helps. Also make sure the connection at the bulb isn't loose at all.