Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   17 BRZ performance package lowering springs (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120729)

Mr2turbo200 07-27-2017 01:01 AM

17 BRZ performance package lowering springs

Has anybody changed their springs on a 17 BRZ performance package? I'm wondering what springs pair up well with the Sachs shocks. Any suggestions would be great!

The Racers Line 07-27-2017 02:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr2turbo200 (Post 2952447)
Has anybody changed their springs on a 17 BRZ performance package? I'm wondering what springs pair up well with the Sachs shocks. Any suggestions would be great!

The RCE yellow spring set is a popular choice for the 2017 Sachs shocks. The stock damping seems to pair well with the springs. I have installed quite a few sets already, and can only report happy customers.

jmark 07-27-2017 07:44 AM

Thinking of going the RCE Yellow spring route myself. Any PP owners who have done this swap care to chime in with impressions and photos?

brzaapi 07-27-2017 07:51 AM

I wish I could comment, as I was about to do this. I have heard good things, and RCE has mentioned that there have been no issues with doing so.

However, I am selling my 2017 BRZ with PP, and therefore I will be listing my NIB RCE Yellows on the forum (in the proper section) tomorrow morning. If any of you are interested, and I always offer free shipping in the U.S. with all my sales.

jmark 07-28-2017 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brzaapi (Post 2952502)
I wish I could comment, as I was about to do this. I have heard good things, and RCE has mentioned that there have been no issues with doing so.

However, I am selling my 2017 BRZ with PP, and therefore I will be listing my NIB RCE Yellows on the forum (in the proper section) tomorrow morning. If any of you are interested, and I always offer free shipping in the U.S. with all my sales.

Thanks for the great deal on the NIB RCE Yellow Springs. :thumbsup: My son derekbrz24 is looking forward to installing them on his 2017 BRZ PP.

Qc86 07-29-2017 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Racers Line (Post 2952469)
The RCE yellow spring set is a popular choice for the 2017 Sachs shocks. The stock damping seems to pair well with the springs. I have installed quite a few sets already, and can only report happy customers.

Did you install a set on a normal 2017 brz or toyota 86? Interrested to see if they pair up as well as the PP brz
Because im looking to get them

The Racers Line 07-30-2017 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qc86 (Post 2953715)
Did you install a set on a normal 2017 brz or toyota 86? Interrested to see if they pair up as well as the PP brz
Because im looking to get them

I've installed 2 sets on 2 17' PP BRZ's and 2 sets on 2 regualar 17' BRZ's. The performance pack shocks are great with the yellows. The non-performance pack BRZ suspension is still great, so I imagine the yellows would pair well on the 86. Unfortunately, the BRZ is such a better deal than the 86, so no one is buying them around here.

weederr33 07-30-2017 02:34 PM

I have Eibach pro-kit springs on my series yellow and they seem to match pretty well. If it wasn't for the dealer already having them on there, the RCE yellows would have been my first pick for springs.

mjanmohammad 09-05-2017 04:35 PM

I installed RCE Yellows on my PP BRZ this weekend and it really feels like the car should have come with these from the factory. Very well matched, stiff but not uncomfortable, makes the car feel more neutral.

imnotsureaboutbrz 09-05-2017 04:57 PM

There was someone on here who recently swapped for STI pinks, and said that it gave a little bit of a drop but the ride was still comfortable yet not too stiff... I will have to dig and find him later.

mjanmohammad 09-05-2017 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imnotsureaboutbrz (Post 2973407)
There was someone on here who recently swapped for STI pinks, and said that it gave a little bit of a drop but the ride was still comfortable yet not too stiff... I will have to dig and find him later.

I believe it was @JonRZ. I was reading that thread earlier today.

stevesnj 09-05-2017 08:05 PM

Love my TRD's (Eibachs) on my 2016. Mild drop and track capable handling.

JonRZ 09-05-2017 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imnotsureaboutbrz (Post 2973407)

Thanks @mjanmohammad for the mention!

And yes @Mr2turbo200! I did swap STI pinks with the '17 Performance Package. I have pics at my build page and there's a thread here where I have a few additional pics of someone asking something similar.

TL;DR - The STI Pinks feel great OEM-like if you don't mind the very mild 15mm drop and price of admission. The tires squeal even more as the whole setup feels more planted but the sachs love these springs. Feel free to PM me with any questions!

timurrrr 06-22-2019 09:09 PM

Does anyone know what are the spring rates of the OE Performance Package springs?

Also, has anyone been tracking / autox'ing RCE Yellows or Eibach Pro-Kit and can share their opinion on how the car handles at the limit?

I've started autox'ing and tracking my '17 BRZ PP lately and it seems that the stock suspension has a slight tendency to understeer. I'd like to preserve the balance of the car while moderately lowering and stiffening the suspension (maybe reducing understeer a little).

I don't know what the rates are for OE PP springs, but previously BRZs had ~0.77 ratio of front:rear rates (FR-S had ~0.6 and 86 had ~0.7).
(source)

RCE Yellows have 1:1 ratio, which makes me think it will be even more prone to understeer. Eibach Pro-Kit have ~0.73 ratio, which is right in between the ratios of BRZ and 86s — seems like these are going to be better wrt balance on the track/autox?

I'm a little worried that Eibachs Pro-Kit are lower and softer in the front than RCE Yellows. Anyone heard of these causing blown shocks?