Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Forced Induction (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   Vacuum line & coolant hoses for turbo (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138502)

majixmatrix 01-09-2020 02:49 PM

Vacuum line & coolant hoses for turbo

I just picked up a used JDL turbo kit, but also recently installed a Forester XT oil cooler which utilizes the stock throttle body coolant loop. Most people use this for their turbo coolant lines; can I route the turbo coolant & oil cooler in parallel or series with each other, and if so which would be ideal?

Also, besides the intake tube & throttle body, what do people use as a good source of vacuum for the brake booster? I know that the brake booster has a check valve but it doesn't make sense to me to reference the throttle body as it's not always under vacuum. Does the brake booster need constant vacuum?

Finally, where do most people tap in for the oil lines for the turbo?

Thanks!!

WORKS 01-11-2020 07:00 PM

I'm not familiar with their routing, but we route our line where the hose that came from the side of the throttle body and goes to the line on the driver's rear of the engine. This shouldn't interfere with your oil cooler modification if you used the ports on the front of the throttle body.

The brake booster does not need constant vacuum. You aren't on throttle and the brakes very much. When you are fine input would be desired and the manual braking offered without the booster under vacuum is ideal, at least for me!

YamahaR86 01-13-2020 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by majixmatrix (Post 3289167)
I just picked up a used JDL turbo kit, but also recently installed a Forester XT oil cooler which utilizes the stock throttle body coolant loop. Most people use this for their turbo coolant lines; can I route the turbo coolant & oil cooler in parallel or series with each other, and if so which would be ideal?

Also, besides the intake tube & throttle body, what do people use as a good source of vacuum for the brake booster? I know that the brake booster has a check valve but it doesn't make sense to me to reference the throttle body as it's not always under vacuum. Does the brake booster need constant vacuum?

Finally, where do most people tap in for the oil lines for the turbo?

Thanks!!

I'm not familiar with the Forester XT Oil Cooler but when I did some research months ago, isn't it more of an "oil warmer" than a cooler? Meaning it'll get your oil temperatures up to operating temperatures faster.

Brake Booster should be fine stock. I used that line to tap into for Boost Gauge and BOV.

Oil Line for turbo is the oil pressure. It's under the oil filter, using a T-Tap, or if you don't want to T-Tap, remove the Oil Pressure Light there (it's just a dummy indicator light on your dash)

WORKS 01-13-2020 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YamahaR86 (Post 3290127)
I'm not familiar with the Forester XT Oil Cooler but when I did some research months ago, isn't it more of an "oil warmer" than a cooler? Meaning it'll get your oil temperatures up to operating temperatures faster.

Brake Booster should be fine stock. I used that line to tap into for Boost Gauge and BOV.

Oil Line for turbo is the oil pressure. It's under the oil filter, using a T-Tap, or if you don't want to T-Tap, remove the Oil Pressure Light there (it's just a dummy indicator light on your dash)

It is an oil warmer and a cooler. It definitely warms the oil up quicker as the coolant temp rises much faster than the oil temperature. Also, as the coolant circulates around the oil, it cools it as the coolant temperature is lower than the oil temperature you would see on track. We've done countless track days with our and our oil temps are always within ideal operating range.

Amputechture 01-13-2020 01:20 PM

I have the same setup, if you are still stuck on this PM me with your email or contact info and I can try and send you a video or some pictures of how I have mine plumbed. But the long and short of it is I have it as follows;

[Coolant comes off the top of the block>>>>coolant inlet of center chra section>>>>>coolant outlet of center chra section>>>>barb of the XT cooler that is located further towards the driver side>>>>exits XT cooler back into the throttle body barb].

Amputechture 01-13-2020 01:27 PM

I am not sure if having the cooler plumbed after the turbo is better suited than pre-turbo...I just plumbed mine identical to two people I spoke with on different FB groups that had successfully done theirs that way for some time. I didn't want to be a gineau pig, and I do not have coolant temp issues with just a street driven car in FL climate.

majixmatrix 01-14-2020 09:43 AM

Thanks for the input everybody! I have a better understanding of how I'm going to route the brake booster vacuum line and coolant line. Still a bit iffy on the oil line but I'll figure it out :)