Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   SCCA C Stock Discussion (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35876)

qoncept 05-08-2013 02:55 PM

SCCA C Stock Discussion

I'm probably not the right guy to start this thread but there doesn't seem to be one to go along with the RTR thread. CS guys, lets share our knowledge and kick ass.

I'm a mediocre driver 5 years removed from 5 years of experience in a poorly prepped STX WRX. My first event in the new BRZ will be May 19th with Iowa Region/DMVR.

Setup for this event:
- 245/40-17 Hankook Z214 C51 on stock wheels
- ... That's it. Factory alignment, stock struts, etc.

I'll update with results after the event. This will be my first since a single event in 2008 and first time in a RWD car. Looking forward to it but not expecting to do very well.

jam0o0 05-08-2013 05:22 PM

i've had mine out at one event so far. stock everything. wow these tires are like driving on ice. i come from a FWD half prepped STF car for the last 4 years.

IMO: in stock either you run R comps or you are just there to have fun, not to win.

anyone think these cars can place top 3 at nationals in CS?

we now can get lighter wheels, better pads, the right tires, good shocks, and muffler deletes. anythign else on the must have list?

edj 05-08-2013 07:04 PM

I'll be playing in CS for the rest of the year. Then depending on what
happens with the Street classes I'll pick somewhere to go.

What's on the car so far:

Enkei RPF1 wheels, 7x17"
Hoosier A6 tires: 245/40R17
Modified Strano front sway bar
Camber Bolts: gets me about -1.4 deg (if i measured it right)
Koni Sport Shocks

Going on the car (real soon now):
Nameless Performance track pipe
Motul 300 tranny/diff fluid

i think that's it... also working on the steering wheel spacer but i suspect
that is a lost cause.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jam0o0 (Post 920327)
anyone think these cars can place top 3 at nationals in CS?

maybe if none of the MX-5/Solstice/370Z cars show up... ;)

xwd 05-08-2013 08:12 PM

I haven't autocrossed for about 7 years, and then only in AWD cars for the most part, but here is my current setup:

Velox PG-5S wheels, 17x7 +42
Hoosier A6 245/40/17, running 34F, 32R pressures
Strano 22mm hollow front bar, Whiteline adjustable endlinks (currently at about stock length or else the bar hits the frame)
MCS DA shocks
Camber: Front about -1.2 on each side, can't remember the rear
Toe: 0 front, 1/16" toe-in rear
Perrin catback
Radium catch can

I' wasn't able to do any events last year and have done 3 events so far this year so I'm just trying to dial things in. Results so far have been mixed imho, mostly driver related. :)

With a good driver it's definitely capable of trophying but if the right drivers show up in the Solstice, MSR, and 370Z it's not going to be in the top 3. Not on a nationals style course IMHO. Jay Toussaint has a well prepped one but he was pretty discouraged after Dixie (lack of torque and rev limiter) and may not run it nationally any more.

If the rev limiter didn't completely suck the life out of the car it might be a different story. Having to shift or just coast to not hit it just costs time. If we move to streets it may slow things down a little bit so it's not as much of an issue, really a couple MPH makes a decent difference. I won't be running race tires next year, so I'll either be in the Street class or RTR if that doesn't pan out, or STX.

oTaGGeDo 05-08-2013 08:19 PM

I plan to be attending neosho,MO on the 19th for my first auto x event ever also this is my first RWD car the only mods I will have is the berk muffler delete also have rear seats removed and my spare tire

jam0o0 05-09-2013 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oTaGGeDo (Post 920753)
I plan to be attending neosho,MO on the 19th for my first auto x event ever also this is my first RWD car the only mods I will have is the berk muffler delete also have rear seats removed and my spare tire

can you quote the part of the rules that lets you pull the rear seats?

Kido1986 05-09-2013 08:47 AM

Feel free to use the non-tire sections of my thread.
@dwx, where can I buy those wheels and what's the approximate cost?

oTaGGeDo 05-09-2013 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jam0o0 (Post 921786)
can you quote the part of the rules that lets you pull the rear seats?

This is my first auto x event like I said in the previous post this is what I plan to do obviously if that's an issue it's not going to happen

edj 05-09-2013 12:49 PM

removing the rear seats puts you in Street Mod, Prepared or Modified.
you do not want to be in any of those categories.

put them back in and go have some fun.

torqdork 05-09-2013 01:49 PM

I'm surprised at those running 245/40-17 on 7" wide wheels. Do you get full contact? Any need to adjust pressures lower for a relatively narrow wheel? Or is that the best width? If so, I'd just as soon keep the stock 17X7's with 245/40's and put the cash into intake, exhaust and sway bar for C Stock instead.

7thgear 05-09-2013 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by torqdork (Post 922506)
I'm surprised at those running 245/40-17 on 7" wide wheels. Do you get full contact? Any need to adjust pressures lower for a relatively narrow wheel? Or is that the best width? If so, I'd just as soon keep the stock 17X7's with 245/40's and put the cash into intake, exhaust and sway bar for C Stock instead.

physics don't apply when it's hoosiers

Kido1986 05-09-2013 01:56 PM

Quote:

First off, no Intake in Stock, just air filter. Second, Intakes tend to suck on this car without a tune.

Third, as this quote sums it up:
Quote:

Originally Posted by 7thgear (Post 922526)
physics don't apply when it's hoosiers

Hooiser have SUPER stiff sidewalls that will hold up as long as you are making contact, which they indeed do. The tires are build with small wheels in mind so the bead bends in enough to fit.

DylanFRS 05-09-2013 01:59 PM

Quote:

I agree, 245 Hoosiers must be huge! How much do sidewalls slant in? I know that the trend has been overly wide r-comps in the stock classes for a while now so I guess I shouldn't be too surprised.

qoncept 05-09-2013 03:25 PM

Ideally you'd want a wider wheel with a 245. Since we can't do that we just put the biggest tire on the stock 7" wheel we can. Glad to see I picked the same size as everyone else. :) My GoPro just came so I plan on recording and logging all of my runs, which I'll probably start another thread somewhere for.