Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   On the subject of coilovers... (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25688)

Turn in Concepts 01-05-2013 11:27 AM

On the subject of coilovers...

When it comes to coilovers we're kind of picky, but then again we take an approach of setting up a car for some form of racing competition. We're not much for show cars.

Now with that being said we do run into both types of people,and in the end I'm looking to get some feedback from this community on which path should be the most pursued.

Thus it's time for a poll....

Gixxersixxerman 01-05-2013 11:35 AM

I'll be heading to the track from time to time.. But me getting coil overs is more for street driving above all else.. From everything I researched if I got springs I'd need to get new dampner so might as well get a coil over and do it right..

Ocho-Seis 01-05-2013 02:26 PM

I'm mostly a for show type of guy. Road courses around here aren't't cheap. So i just buy what we will get me lol and look good on the public streets.

DriftEightSix 01-05-2013 10:57 PM

should be an option i installed coilovers because i want better handling and lowering the car helps achieves this.

seven 01-05-2013 11:25 PM

Will be doing some HPDE as well as looking to get some more performance/enjoyment out of the car on the street.
Basically I'm looking toward trying to get something that's "comfortable enough" for street use, but will be used on the track at HPDE/Open track events.

JoeBoxer 01-05-2013 11:30 PM

I don't have a track anywhere close, I haven't decided whether to get coilovers or stick with with springs and strut, I'm hoping bilsteins are available at some point but I just want the best combination of handling and ride for the street.

RYU 01-06-2013 03:02 AM

You need one more option on the poll. Not many people "race" but a lot of people participate in hpde. Track days while still daily driving their cars.

I'm looking for feedback on good street/track coilovers like JRZs, bilsteins, DG-5, etc. I think kw v3s are grossly overrated for the price so looking for other options for the same money or less.

CSG David 01-06-2013 03:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RYU (Post 647326)
You need one more option on the poll. Not many people "race" but a lot of people participate in hpde. Track days while still daily driving their cars.

I'm looking for feedback on good street/track coilovers like JRZs, bilsteins, DG-5, etc. I think kw v3s are grossly overrated for the price so looking for other options for the same money or less.

We are testing the new Tein SRCs for the FRS/BRZ platform and we currently hold the lap records for street tire on Buttonwillow, Streets of Willow, and Willow Springs. Mike should be posting up the review soon. :D

RYU 01-06-2013 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CSG David (Post 647336)
We are testing the new Tein SRCs for the FRS/BRZ platform and we currently hold the lap records for street tire on Buttonwillow, Streets of Willow, and Willow Springs. Mike should be posting up the review soon. :D

Thanks David! Mike's a great driver. I'm sure he could make the BRZ fast with bicycle tires! I actually like the stock dampers but the lack of high speed compression damping really makes for a crappy street ride. Please share your results!

Turn in Concepts 01-08-2013 10:27 AM

so far it's looking like a fairly even split, but then again the sample size isn't too big.

please chime in guys.

CSG David 01-08-2013 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RYU (Post 647546)
Thanks David! Mike's a great driver. I'm sure he could make the BRZ fast with bicycle tires! I actually like the stock dampers but the lack of high speed compression damping really makes for a crappy street ride. Please share your results!

Tein SRC Review Posted :)
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25867

gmookher 01-08-2013 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CSG David (Post 647336)

I'm gonna bring my GC setup to cali, maybe we can swap cars for a few laps, if you wanna try out the vortech kit? This is gonna be so much fun!

Nothing like driving two different suspensions back to back.

Dave-ROR 01-08-2013 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RYU (Post 647326)

This.

I'm planning on trying the Eibach Multi Pro R2s once they get released.. eventually!

For now I voted racing application, I couldn't care less about show cars.

CSG Mike 01-08-2013 12:38 PM

While we do track our car, I wouldn't consider it racing per-se; we're only running against the clock and ourselves.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmookher (Post 651339)
I'm gonna bring my GC setup to cali, maybe we can swap cars for a few laps, if you wanna try out the vortech kit? This is gonna be so much fun!

Nothing like driving two different suspensions back to back.

Totally OT, but make sure the cooling is up to snuff :D

Our SRCs can feel like two completely different suspensions, or even 5 completely different suspensions depending on the settings we're using ;)