Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   AC not blowing any cold air (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134986)

highway7 05-30-2019 02:00 PM

AC not blowing any cold air

Hello all,

I have a 2013 FRS with about 150k km on the odo, and the AC has stopped working. It was working fine last year during the summer, blew ice cold AC instantly the button is pressed, and now it blows ambient temp.

So far I've checked all fuses, and swapped the horn and AC relays to no effect.

When I press the AC button, the AC compressor does start to spin and both front fans turn on as well. However, there is no cold air regardless of how long I wait nor how fast I'm driving. I've checked all lines and there doesn't appear to be any damage. The exposed part of the condenser in the grille is a little beat up from road debris and bugs, but nothing major.

Any tips?

humfrz 05-30-2019 02:19 PM

Yep, I suggest you take your car into a shop and have them check for leaks in the system and recharge with refrigerant.

humfrz

msaikhan 05-30-2019 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by highway7 (Post 3223075)
Hello all,

I have a 2013 FRS with about 150k km on the odo, and the AC has stopped working. It was working fine last year during the summer, blew ice cold AC instantly the button is pressed, and now it blows ambient temp.

So far I've checked all fuses, and swapped the horn and AC relays to no effect.

When I press the AC button, the AC compressor does start to spin and both front fans turn on as well. However, there is no cold air regardless of how long I wait nor how fast I'm driving. I've checked all lines and there doesn't appear to be any damage. The exposed part of the condenser in the grille is a little beat up from road debris and bugs, but nothing major.

Any tips?

You probably need a recharge, assuming you have no leaks.

The easiest fix is AC Pro, it does work, again, assuming you don't have any leaks. I' ve used it on lexus rx and it worked great.

But i would do it the correct way with AC manifold and vacuum pump. All can be rented from auto zone. Wear goggles and gloves if you're going to mess with ac system.

RZNT4R 05-30-2019 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msaikhan (Post 3223120)
The easiest fix is AC Pro

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

That junk is just shoveling the cost forwards and amplifying it.

1: To properly service, nevermind diagnose, an AC system you're going to need a machine to recover what's in the car, a vacuum pump, a refrigerant scale, a set of gauges and an oil injection gun. An AC refilled with junk in a can will never work as well one that's been properly serviced.

2: To properly leak test a system you're going to need some nitrogen at about 200 PSI and a bottle of soapy water or a high sensitivity ultrasonic mic, or if you're unlucky, some AC dye and a UV lamp if it's a really small leak (like I had to find today on a '12 civic)

3: Any workshop that tests incoming cars with a refrigerant identifier will spot the leak sealants in junk like acpro and instead of paying for just a quick leak test and a service, now you'll be paying for a condenser and a complete system flush before any diagnostic gets done. Modern condensers use extremely fine conduits that get clogged by leak sealers.

4: Refrigerant with stop leak in it is considered contaminated and has to be sequestered and destroyed.

5: Most shops with an automatic service machine will refuse to work on something that has stop leak in it because it gums up the solenoid valves.

Would you DIY your fridge? just take it to a shop, the amount of equipment and expertise needed to do this well is not negligible, and the cost of mucking it up yourself can get astronomically high.

reeves 05-30-2019 07:15 PM

Do you even need A/C up there in Toronto?

Never been there myself... just curious how warm it actually gets there.

Fast13FRS 05-30-2019 09:25 PM

Ooh pm me a price I have not been able to play my Jethro Tull Collection for years:thumbsup:

jaime3 05-30-2019 09:47 PM

Listen to RZNT4R!!!
There’s a couple reasons why your AC doesn’t work. Taking it to a shop that can recover what refrigerant is left can tell you if there’s any missing but as well it will tell you the pressures of the compressor. If the compressor isn’t within operating spec, then it’s the compressor. If you are missing refrigerant then you will spot a leak either noticeable or not. Start from the compressor and follow both AC lines all the way to the firewall to see if there’s any leaks , if no leak is found, you can put die into the system when you recharge it and it will show once it leaks. Another possibility can be that your blower motor isn’t turning on as well. Best advice, Go to a reputable place you can trust. I’m a mechanic at a dealership and I recommend people to go to people who know what they are doing over anything. Sometimes that means even going to the dealership. But in my opinion it might be more money going to the dealership, but they will fix your problem. Another piece of advice is that you can always have them diagnose it, and then do the fix yourself.

humfrz 05-30-2019 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fast13FRS (Post 3223232)
Ooh pm me a price I have not been able to play my Jethro Tull Collection for years:thumbsup:

Where in the hell did THAT come from - :confused0068:

I think you went from too much coffee to too much weed - :iono:

:D

humfrz

RFB 05-31-2019 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reeves (Post 3223215)
Do you even need A/C up there in Toronto?

Never been there myself... just curious how warm it actually gets there.

Same as were you are, except only in summer.
Winter is like the arctic sometimes.
:sigh:

RZNT4R 05-31-2019 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RFB (Post 3223373)
Winter is like the arctic sometimes.
:sigh:

The lowest exterior temp I've seen on my dash is -27°C

maslin 05-31-2019 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RZNT4R (Post 3223406)
The lowest exterior temp I've seen on my dash is -27°C

We had -40* C in Montana a few times. It was brutal. There was always a couple weeks in February in the -10 to -20 F range. Definitely don't miss that.

Tcoat 05-31-2019 01:57 PM

The lowest I have seen on my dash is -40C.
The highest I have seen on my dash is +40C.

Fast13FRS 05-31-2019 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by humfrz (Post 3223251)
Where in the hell did THAT come from - :confused0068:

I think you went from too much coffee to too much weed - :iono:

:D

humfrz

Twilight zone that was an answer to another thread!

humfrz 05-31-2019 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fast13FRS (Post 3223471)
Twilight zone that was an answer to another thread!

I'm ah starten ta worry bout you, there, Fast13FRS - :sigh:

humfrz