Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine, Exhaust, Transmission (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   AEM Intake (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28416)

BRZerk 02-07-2013 11:35 AM

AEM Intake

Does anyone have any experience using the AEM intake for the BRZ/FRS?

In the market for an intake and was reading about some issues people were having with brands like injen etc.

Drop some wisdom on me. :thanks:

FT-86 SpeedFactory 02-07-2013 11:46 AM

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24884

:)

BRZerk 02-07-2013 12:57 PM

Yeah I saw your thread, but there isn't much when it comes to possible CELs and other issues. I was also looking for other members that have recently installed it and maybe had actual dyno numbers and not manufacturer dynos. Idk, just a thought.

naikaidriver 02-07-2013 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRZerk (Post 718862)
Yeah I saw your thread, but there isn't much when it comes to possible CELs and other issues. I was also looking for other members that have recently installed it and maybe had actual dyno numbers and not manufacturer dynos. Idk, just a thought.

I'm interested as well. I have been doing some poking around and haven't been able to find any independent dynos.

In all honesty, I'm likely going with the Perrin CAI but this is a very intriguing product form AEM.

Scott

BRZerk 02-07-2013 02:21 PM

yeah but what i dont like about the perrin intake is it leaves a majority of the stock piping with all those nasty wrinkles etc. and to eliminate that you have to order their silicone tubing which is another 130 bucks...

FT-86 SpeedFactory 02-07-2013 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRZerk (Post 718862)

FWIW, I did have a chance to drive the car around for about a week after installing it and logged about 3-4 hundred miles without any CEL's or issues(ie, bogging, idle issues).

We hope to dyno the system soon and post all results and findings. It's an excellent system and the results should reflect that.

Cheers!:happy0180:
-Yo

Frs89 02-07-2013 02:51 PM

I have had the AEM intake on for about a thousand miles now with no problems except for a small hesitation at the beginning of the throttle response. It looks and sounds better than stock. Overall a really good product.

FT-86 SpeedFactory 02-07-2013 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frs89 (Post 719198)
I have had the AEM intake on for about a thousand miles now with no problems except for a small hesitation at the beginning of the throttle response. It looks and sounds better than stock. Overall a really good product.

Have you tried resetting your ECU and letting your car idle for atleast a couple minutes before driving it again??

BRZerk 02-07-2013 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frs89 (Post 719198)

Can you elaborate on the hesitation? Is it noticeable? Overall is it detrimental to the cars performance?

swift996 02-07-2013 03:35 PM

I'm happy with mine. No issues, good sound, and increase in performance.

Check my install post:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...6&postcount=40

naikaidriver 02-07-2013 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRZerk (Post 719104)
yeah but what i dont like about the perrin intake is it leaves a majority of the stock piping with all those nasty wrinkles etc. and to eliminate that you have to order their silicone tubing which is another 130 bucks...

I didn't plan on leaving the atrocious stock piping.

After a lot of careful consideration I decided to go with the Injen. From everything I have seen the performance difference between it and the AEM are minimal and call me old-fashioned... I like the polished look. Also I just wasn't excited about removing my bumper to install the Perrin, plus the cost of the silicon tube + CAI. ouch.

Now if I can just get ft86's website to take my damn credit card!!

Scott

FT-86 SpeedFactory 02-07-2013 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by naikaidriver (Post 719459)
I didn't plan on leaving the atrocious stock piping.

After a lot of careful consideration I decided to go with the Injen. From everything I have seen the performance difference between it and the AEM are minimal and call me old-fashioned... I like the polished look. Also I just wasn't excited about removing my bumper to install the Perrin, plus the cost of the silicon tube + CAI. ouch.

Now if I can just get ft86's website to take my damn credit card!!

Scott

PM us with your issue. You can always just paypal us, as well :)

naikaidriver 02-07-2013 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FT-86 SpeedFactory (Post 719465)
PM us with your issue. You can always just paypal us, as well :)

I've been emailing Jeremy. He's been trying to help.

Scott

Skywgn1 02-08-2013 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRZerk (Post 718650)
Does anyone have any experience using the AEM intake for the BRZ/FRS?

In the market for an intake and was reading about some issues people were having with brands like injen etc.

Drop some wisdom on me. :thanks:

I have one of the earliest FR-S' and installed the Injen Intake. I have had it on now for just over 6 months and have had zero CEL's or any other issues. I also threw on the Perrin lightened pulley and for S&G's added a tornado thing right after the MAF. I can tell you I absolutely love it.