Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   $10k DD (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74213)

zygrene 09-15-2014 01:56 AM

$10k DD

I currently daily a completely stock 1999 Civic Si EM1 coupe. It's a good car, but I realized after only a few months of ownership that I want something with 4/5 doors and more torque. It's fun to rev to 8000, but I can already do that in my S2000 with much better results. I've got the car posted on Craigslist right now and it's been getting a ton of hits, but so far no one is willing to get close to my asking price, which is higher than the price of your average hellaflush salvage titled EM1.

Anyways, assuming I can sell it sometime in the next few months, I'll be looking for a used ~$10k DD that meets the following criteria in order of importance:

1) Manual transmission
2) 4/5 door sedan/hatch/wagon/SUV, unless it's a 2-door with a roomy backseat
3) Reliable at 100k+ mileage and relatively easy to work on
4) Better-than-economy-car acceleration
5) Preferably AWD or RWD, but will consider FWD if it has a lot going for it and is still fun to drive
6) Has some swag, aka not a Corolla S or Accord
7) Minimum 20mpg average, premium fuel is fine

Cars I've considered so far:
1) 2002-2007 WRX - These are all over Craigslist, but for sub-$10k they usually have 130k+ miles.
2) G35 sedan - I heard they're not that reliable, and terrible on gas. They also look really bland.
3) Acura TSX/TL - Reliable with nice interiors but FWD.
4) Mk4 GTI 1.8T or VR6 - Not sure on reliability with ~100k miles, only 2 doors.
5) Lexus IS300 - Less powerful compared to G35 with equally terrible gas mileage, but more reliable. Hard to find in manual.

Am I being too picky in my price range? Shoot me with ideas/suggestions!

serialk11r 09-15-2014 02:20 AM

WRXs have horrid gas mileage too though lol, but they do have swag.

strat61caster 09-15-2014 02:58 AM

You're picking cars that carry a premium because they're 'swag' so they're marked up from 'enthusiast' demand and usually beat pretty hard.

Based on all your wants and needs I'd suggest a Legacy Wagon or Outback, but they don't get great mileage. If you weren't picky an Accord would be perfect but whatever, an '06 Legacy GT w/ MT will out accelerate a Toyobaru so there you go, saw one in the area for just under $10k and the 2.0L (non-GT, slow) get low 20's for mpg I believe

Try a Mazda3 on for size, supposed to be one of the most fun to drive FWD of the last 20 years or so. Zoom-zoom and all.

cdrazic93 09-15-2014 03:05 AM

Mazda speed3

zygrene 09-15-2014 03:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strat61caster (Post 1947002)
You're picking cars that carry a premium because they're 'swag' so they're marked up from 'enthusiast' demand and usually beat pretty hard.

Based on all your wants and needs I'd suggest a Legacy Wagon or Outback, but they don't get great mileage. If you weren't picky an Accord would be perfect but whatever, an '06 Legacy GT w/ MT will out accelerate a Toyobaru so there you go, saw one in the area for just under $10k and the 2.0L (non-GT, slow) get low 20's for mpg I believe

Try a Mazda3 on for size, supposed to be one of the most fun to drive FWD of the last 20 years or so. Zoom-zoom and all.

Well I am an enthusiast, so I tend to lean towards enthusiast cars. A Legacy GT would be amazing, especially the wagon. Kinda forgot about those. But how is the reliability? I would keep it mostly stock with a few bolt-ons, maybe COBB stage 1 at most.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdrazic93 (Post 1947007)
Mazda speed3

These are usually over $10k with reasonable miles for the previous gen model, but I'll keep an eye out.

Allch Chcar 09-15-2014 03:40 AM

Mazda3 and Ford Focus are my go to cars for recommendation.
Mazda3, you can go for the 2.3L S trims, which are all hatchbacks BTW. Speed3s are far more expensive for a reason.
Focus, you can get the SVT, but avoid modded ones, or the super rare 2.3L Duratec ZX3. The '04-'05 ST is nothing but a ZX4 with the 2.3L engine. Don't bother looking at the '08-'11 Focus, it's nothing special. Granted, even a base engine Focus will accelerate rather briskly and the gearing is good for a 5 speed. It's not fast by American standards, but it's quick enough.

The reason why I recommend the Mazda3 and Focus to you is that the Duratec/MZR is almost exactly the same between them. Besides responding well to bolt-ons, it is a torquey engine that can make good power while still revving easily. One of the first mods people do is remove the counter-balance shafts and it improves considerably.

I don't know why you would want swag(which just means useless crap to me :iono:) but these cars have character. Their reliability is only above average compared to the excellent reliability typically given to a Civic or Corolla of the same vintage. But it's better than the WRX and GTI, I can say that much.

zygrene 09-15-2014 03:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allch Chcar (Post 1947026)
Mazda3 and Ford Focus are my go to cars for recommendation.
Mazda3, you can go for the 2.3L S trims, which are all hatchbacks BTW. Speed3s are far more expensive for a reason.
Focus, you can get the SVT, but avoid modded ones, or the super rare 2.3L Duratec ZX3. The '04-'05 ST is nothing but a ZX4 with the 2.3L engine. Don't bother looking at the '08-'11 Focus, it's nothing special. Granted, even a base engine Focus will accelerate rather briskly and the gearing is good for a 5 speed. It's not fast by American standards, but it's quick enough.

The reason why I recommend the Mazda3 and Focus to you is that the Duratec/MZR is almost exactly the same between them. Besides responding well to bolt-ons, it is a torquey engine that can make good power while still revving easily. One of the first mods people do is remove the counter-balance shafts and it improves considerably.

I don't know why you would want swag(which just means useless crap to me :iono:) but these cars have character. Their reliability is only above average compared to the excellent reliability typically given to a Civic or Corolla of the same vintage. But it's better than the WRX and GTI, I can say that much.

I barely know anything about the older Focus SVT models. They seem pretty similar on paper to the EP3 Civic Si hatch, except the Focus has a 5 door option. Basically just an economy hatch with a peppier engine, right?

I've never been a fan of the Mazda3 and probably never will be. It's an intangible thing, lol.

I'm also looking at the older Legacy GT sedans/wagons. Rare but possible to find for around $10k with a little over 100k miles. Thoughts on that compared to the older WRX?

funwheeldrive 09-15-2014 05:27 AM

Manual TSX.

Reliable, easy to find unabused(for now), sharp looking, nice clean interior, jdm parts for personalization.

juliog 09-15-2014 05:54 AM

$10k DD

330ci, Golf/Rabbit mkv

Sent from my iPotato

YukiHachiRoku 09-15-2014 06:21 AM

You be safe with the Honda lol

Bobblehead 09-15-2014 07:25 AM

As far as the LGT or WRX, insurance will be cheaper with the LGT.

But here comes a horror story: I came from a 2005 Outback XT, its the same thing as a Legacy GT. I had to rebuild the engine due to a burnt exhaust valve. After that, sensor after sensor kept failing. I personally would not recommend getting one.

DarkSunrise 09-15-2014 08:15 AM

My top-5, in order:

- Mazdaspeed 3
- WRX
- Accord Coupe V6
- Forester 2.5 XT
- MK5 GTI

BRZZZZZZZZZZ 09-15-2014 08:29 AM

I DD a 2002 WRX currently. Its a nice change from the BRZ, loads more straight line, more practical, AWD for winter drifty, but its also extremely stiff just like the BRZ, creaky, 230000km, a pig on fuel...

reni 09-15-2014 09:58 AM

+1 for Mazda3, they're underrated IMO, will be a good complement to the s2k, and you should be able to find a nice one for under $10k. I think most of the cars you listed aren't going to be in such great shape for that price….