Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Forced Induction (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   Cost of Supercharger or Turbo and installation. (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86688)

Wishbone32 04-14-2015 01:16 PM

Cost of Supercharger or Turbo and installation.

Just looking for estimates of cost to purchase supercharger or turbo and installation cost. Thanks hope to get one or the other soon.

tahdizzle 04-14-2015 01:17 PM

About 8 hours of installation. @ $110/ hour? depending on your shop.

DAEMANO 04-14-2015 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wishbone32 (Post 2212257)
Just looking for estimates of cost to purchase supercharger or turbo and installation cost. Thanks hope to get one or the other soon.

@tahdizzle is spot on with his estimate.

On @Evasive Motorsports ' FT86club.com Service Thread

"Supercharger Kits or Turbo Kits Install - PM/Call Starting at $600-$1000 Depends on which kit.

(Also buyers get a discount on install if kit is bought from us)"

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26409

Some members have disputed this amount of time and cost to install a SC or Turbo. I've heard on more than a few occasions people saying "anybody can do it at home", etc. Unless you're an experienced mechanic I would recommend shop install by an expert with the time, tools, and experience to do it right. A botched install can be catastrophic. Remember to include this cost when thinking about TCO of any F.I. kit.

tahdizzle 04-14-2015 02:02 PM

if you're not comfortable with an install, its always better to pay to get it done by professionals.
F.I. is a cruel mistress and I think its a better idea to get a warranted installation than having no-one other than yourself to blame.

Evasive Motorsports 04-14-2015 02:08 PM

we typically charge anywhere from $500-1000 depending on the kit.

we have had customers install their own kits and want us to tune their car. but when we actually tune the car we run into so many issues because people don't install certain parts correctly. so we need to pull the car off the Dyno and onto a lift which is a big headache. These customers end up spending more than what they should have if we installed the kit in the first place.

LucidMomentum 04-14-2015 03:04 PM

Counter Space Garage quoted me around $1200 for the JRSC and Oil Cooler install. It's about a day of work, not counting the tune.

Wishbone32 04-14-2015 03:08 PM

Thanks for all the info!

raven1231 04-14-2015 03:53 PM

Yeah definitely depends on kit complexity, and shop. A full blown kit with injectors, fuel pump, fans ect.. will cost more than a greddy or supercharger.

Jmonty 04-15-2015 01:09 AM

don't forget to add in the cost of the tune on top of the install

industrial 04-15-2015 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LucidMomentum (Post 2212453)
Counter Space Garage quoted me around $1200 for the JRSC and Oil Cooler install. It's about a day of work, not counting the tune.

Wow, that seems a bit insane for such an easy kit. I muddled through my kw and oil cooler install. I think it took about 10 hours total. $120/hr? After doing it once, I bet I can knock it out in 6-8 hours with no issues.

I'd say as a rule of thumb, turbos will always cost more to install than superchargers. Tapping the oil pan and breaking into exhaust piping are things you don't have to do on any supercharger install.

Boofneenee 04-15-2015 07:41 AM

Dont forget that if your not mechanically inclined to install such a kit then your likely not mechanically inclined to troubleshoot the problems that will occur as a result of going fi. This means paying a premium every time something goes wrong. I wish it were set it and forget it but nothings ez in life

brzaapi 04-15-2015 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wishbone32 (Post 2212257)

If you want the experience of an install, then have at it and enjoy(or hate) the learning curve.

For me it would come down to this:
DD = shop install
track toy = do it myself