Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Dealer can't flash my ecu... (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46016)

jm1681 09-05-2013 07:02 AM

Dealer can't flash my ecu...

Brought my car in yesterday for a complimentary oil change, and to make them aware of my taillight condensation.

First, the taillight condensation. Apparently my car is out of the VIN range of the TSB, so they have to wait for Toyota to approve it. Don't even get me started. Approve WHAT?! There's condensation, it shouldn't be there, it's a known fault, fix it. Period.

Second, after the oil change, they tried to flash my ecu with an update. This is the second time they've tried to update my ecu and for some reason, my car just doesn't want the update. They can't get it done, and they kept my car overnight to work on it more today. It just bugs me and freaks me out that my car is doing this.

Anyone have any experience with something similar?

Mad1723 09-05-2013 07:43 AM

If your ECU was stock before bringing it in, they might have bricked your ECU. Worst case scenario, they replace it with a new one and install the latest update on it.

If your ECU was not stock... I don't know

shingles 09-05-2013 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jm1681 (Post 1190315)

First, the taillight condensation. Apparently my car is out of the VIN range of the TSB, so they have to wait for Toyota to approve it. Don't even get me started. Approve WHAT?! There's condensation, it shouldn't be there, it's a known fault, fix it. Period.

I am in agreement with your frustrations... but:
the dealership is a privately owned business. They can fix it, but they need Toyota's approval to get paid. That's what they need approval on. So while I am sure they completely agree with you, they are also not going to fix it unless they have approval from Toyota that they will get paid.

Mikem53 09-05-2013 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad1723 (Post 1190333)
If your ECU was stock before bringing it in, they might have bricked your ECU. Worst case scenario, they replace it with a new one and install the latest update on it.

If they bricked his ECU, the car wouldn't be running. The Software determines what VIN number gets what updates.. You can't just load any version of calibration onto the ECU.

jm1681 09-05-2013 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad1723 (Post 1190333)

ECU was stock. Car only has a muffler delete and a sound tube delete.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shingles (Post 1190349)
I am in agreement with your frustrations... but:
the dealership is a privately owned business. They can fix it, but they need Toyota's approval to get paid. That's what they need approval on. So while I am sure they completely agree with you, they are also not going to fix it unless they have approval from Toyota that they will get paid.

I get that. It's just maddening >.<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikem53 (Post 1190379)
If they bricked his ECU, the car wouldn't be running. The Software determines what VIN number gets what updates.. You can't just load any version of calibration onto the ECU.

So, basically ... what does that mean?

Mikem53 09-05-2013 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jm1681 (Post 1190400)
ECU was stock. Car only has a muffler delete and a sound tube delete.

I get that. It's just maddening >.<

So, basically ... what does that mean?

It means that according to techstream, you already are running the proper calibration level of software for the ECU. Do you know what level you are currently at? 700, A00 or A01? Depends on the build date. Many on here are trying to get the latest A01 version, but the dealers can't load it on as its tied to the VIN and the software won't allow them to load it... At least not until the OEM defines it as an update..

neutron256 09-05-2013 09:10 AM

It could just be a bad OBDII connector. I know several people have had problems with that.

Struckbylitenin 09-05-2013 11:12 AM

I talked to my dealer about the flash and they were reluctant to do so. They explained that shift-points may change (AT trans), along with throttle response, gas-mileage, etc.

Apparently they had done it to another FR-S shortly before I asked and the owner bitched up a storm of "issues" after the flash...

jm1681 09-05-2013 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Struckbylitenin (Post 1190695)
I talked to my dealer about the flash and they were reluctant to do so. They explained that shift-points may change (AT trans), along with throttle response, gas-mileage, etc.

Apparently they had done it to another FR-S shortly before I asked and the owner bitched up a storm of "issues" after the flash...

Now THAT wouldn't surprise me. I wonder if the first time they tried it, it took. My car behaved all kinds of bad for about two weeks after that first attempt.

I don't know if I got used to it, or if it re-learned, or whatever, but as it was when I brought it in, it was fine. If I've got to go through another two weeks of crap EVERYTHING on account of this stupid issue, I too will be VERY pissed.

thill 09-05-2013 12:15 PM

After a reflash, it is typical for your ECU to relearn your driving habits. I don't know about 2 weeks, but it might take a few days at most.

It is noticeable. Same goes with the ECU if you disconnect the battery.

jm1681 09-05-2013 01:36 PM

Called the dealer a little while ago. The car still isn't ready.

Not really happy about this. Forget that I'm without my car, all I'm getting from the people at the dealer (I should say in the office, and not the shop) is that they're "...waiting for something to happen."

What the hell does that mean?! It just feels really unprofessional.

CSG Mike 09-05-2013 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jm1681 (Post 1191091)

Not really happy about this. Forget that I'm without my car, all I'm getting from the people at the dealer (I should say in the office, and not the shop) is that they're "...waiting for something to happen."

The dealer's hands are tied until Scion/Toyota approve the warranty repair.

A little birdie tells me that Scion and Subaru are on a case-by-case basis for all warranty repairs not covered by a TSB at this point.

Dezoris 09-05-2013 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CSG Mike (Post 1191114)
The dealer's hands are tied until Scion/Toyota approve the warranty repair.

A little birdie tells me that Scion and Subaru are on a case-by-case basis for all warranty repairs not covered by a TSB at this point.

You mean take pictures of anything potentially modified to deny coverage?

thill 09-05-2013 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jm1681 (Post 1191091)

You can drive the car with condensation and bring it back once it is approved at your next service. There is no reason for your dealer for hold your car for days for this.