Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   h6 swapouts? any thoughts or advice? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2205)

f1ver 11-09-2011 12:56 PM

h6 swapouts? any thoughts or advice?

was looking at some stories and videos of people who had swapped out their impreza/legacy/STI engines with h6 engines... would something like that be possible for the BRZ? think it would it be a better car, or just jack up the handling? how much does something like that cost, and is it hard to find someone who can be trusted for reliable work?

thx

mikey 11-09-2011 01:01 PM

probably. but if you decide to do this, be prepared to spend A LOT of money, and dont expect your car to be returned to you in a short amount of time.

the car hasnt even hit the market, so nobody except for toyo and suba engineers really know what the engine bay looks like...

bFreed 11-09-2011 01:09 PM

Anything is possible for the right amount $$$$$$

Ryephile 11-09-2011 01:18 PM

You'd end up adding a bunch of weight in front of the front axle. So yes, the handling would be screwed. I hate to suggest this, but a turbo kit would be an easier/smarter/more viable solution for moar powah.

fatoni 11-09-2011 01:27 PM

if thats what you want i would suggest saving time and money and just get a 911

old greg 11-09-2011 02:07 PM

The EZ30R (the R is important) and EZ36R both weigh ~50 lbs more than a DOHC EJ, so I doubt the handling would be effected all that much. The H6 engines aren't particularly expensive, you can find EZ30R's in the $1500 range if you look hard enough. Very few people bother swapping them into Imprezas, so there isn't a lot of demand driving up the price. The big downside is that the OEM H6 ECU has some sort of anti-theft feature that makes it a worthless brick, so you'll need to buy/install/tune a stand alone ECU.

If you have the tools and don't mind doing your own wiring/tuning, you could probably swap one in for < $3000. If you sell your stock motor, you might even come out ahead. Getting more than ~270 bhp out of one, though, is going to burn a crater in your wallet.

Dimman 11-09-2011 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by old greg (Post 73847)
The EZ30R (the R is important) and EZ36R both weigh ~50 lbs more than a DOHC EJ, so I doubt the handling would be effected all that much. The H6 engines aren't particularly expensive, you can find EZ30R's in the $1500 range if you look hard enough. Very few people bother swapping them into Imprezas, so there isn't a lot of demand driving up the price. The big downside is that the OEM H6 ECU has some sort of anti-theft feature that makes it a worthless brick, so you'll need to buy/install/tune a stand alone ECU.

If you have the tools and don't mind doing your own wiring/tuning, you could probably swap one in for < $3000. If you sell your stock motor, you might even come out ahead. Getting more than ~270 bhp out of one, though, is going to burn a crater in your wallet.

The 'R' means it doesn't have the absurd single exhaust port per head, correct?

old greg 11-09-2011 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dimman (Post 73870)
The 'R' means it doesn't have the absurd single exhaust port per head, correct?

Yes, you are correct. Although, in the EZ30D's defence, that single exhaust port makes custom headers super easy.:bonk:

coyote 11-09-2011 04:04 PM

Technically speaking, I think you'll find they are both EZ30D.

Syldrin 11-09-2011 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryephile (Post 73824)
You'd end up adding a bunch of weight in front of the front axle. So yes, the handling would be screwed. I hate to suggest this, but a turbo kit would be an easier/smarter/more viable solution for moar powah.

i hope this statment is true but with 12.5:1 comp ratio i don't know how viable boost will be on this car. :(

Kostamojen 11-09-2011 06:58 PM

IMO, the 6-cylinders are a better option than the Turbos. You won't have to figure out where to put the turbo and deal with all the custom piping, and considering how far back the engine is in the FT86 chassis it should fit in there even better than they do in the Imprezas!

I wouldn't be surprised if we see one or two H6 swaps showing up next year, maybe at SEMA or another venue.
Quote:

Originally Posted by coyote (Post 73884)
Technically speaking, I think you'll find they are both EZ30D.

Ya, but one motor is so different than the other people just started calling it the EZ30R (along with how they called the cars 3.0R and such).

fred_boosted 11-09-2011 07:08 PM

ECU, trans, diff...

I'm sure it will have LS3 swap in the future...

chulooz 11-09-2011 07:11 PM

I will bet dollars to doughnuts that a turbo install will be way easier than any EZ swap, there are only a handful of impreza's running with legit setups. I've talked to Chris at EFI Logics who built one of the greatest track H6 imprezas and he told me that it would be more time, money, and issues; all for less power.

And if you goal is high power than the EZ's will submit defeat to the EJ's without a doubt.

Kostamojen 11-09-2011 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chulooz (Post 73951)
I will bet dollars to doughnuts that a turbo install will be way easier than any EZ swap, there are only a handful of impreza's running with legit setups. I've talked to Chris at EFI Logics who built one of the greatest track H6 imprezas and he told me that it would be more time, money, and issues; all for less power.

There are only a handful because of how easy it is to swap the turbo motors instead. Plus, nobody has done the work on the H6 ECU's (well some have, but usually winds up being a stand alone setup) and its more complicated to fit the H6 into the Impreza engine bays as it takes a bit of work to get them to fit.

With the Toyobaru's drivetrain location being where it is, I don't see how the EJ turbo setup will fit as it currently exists. There won't be enough room behind the motor, and there won't be enough room under the motor. Its going to require some sort of custom turbo location, which is more difficult than making the H6 fit.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...n/img0887t.jpg