Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Humming Sound (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137775)

kmbkk 11-15-2019 01:45 PM

Humming Sound

Not sure exactly how to describe a sound I’m hearing from my car but I’ll try. It’s a humming sound I can hear above about 30 mph. The sound is similar to what an off-road tiee sounds like on the highway (tire hum I guess). It’s constant and the pitch increases as the speed increases. It doesn’t matter what the RPM is, so it isn’t transmission related. Also, I put on my winter wheels/tires this past weekend and that didn’t make a difference, so it’s not a tire issue either. I haven’t noticed any degradation in performance or handling. I didn’t see anything visibly when I swapped the wheels. I think it’s coming from the front of the car but am not 100% sure. It really isn’t much louder with the windows rolled down. I’m kinda stumped at this point🤷*♂️

Thanks in advance

JD001 11-15-2019 02:00 PM

Time for new bushes???

mswbrz 11-15-2019 05:51 PM

Sounds like it could be wheel bearing , had some bad wheel bearings on my Wrx and it felt like you could hear it inside while moving .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RToyo86 11-15-2019 06:01 PM

What is the mileage?
Speed related humming can definitely be a wheel bearing. Turning can increase the noise on the corner the bearing is worn.

A way to check is to Jack up the car and check the wheel for play. Up and down is often most accurate as left and right play can indicate a worn tie rod.

NoHaveMSG 11-15-2019 06:01 PM

It sounds like front wheel bearings. You have to replace the hub as a unit. I am getting ready to replace my 3rd. I have been through 2 right fronts. Now the left is starting to make noise.

NoHaveMSG 11-15-2019 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RToyo86 (Post 3275695)
What is the mileage?
Speed related humming can definitely be a wheel bearing. Turning can increase the noise on the corner the bearing is worn.

A way to check is to Jack up the car and check the wheel for play. Up and down is often most accurate as left and right play can indicate a worn tie rod.

Mine made noise before there was any play you could feel even with the hub removed. I had one get really bad on a drive home from the track to the point it would screech a bit. It only had a tiny amount of play.

humfrz 11-15-2019 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD001 (Post 3275605)
Time for new bushes???

?????

:iono:

humfrz

JD001 11-16-2019 03:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by humfrz (Post 3275755)
?????

:iono:

humfrz

This sort of thing...

kmbkk 11-16-2019 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mswbrz (Post 3275692)
Sounds like it could be wheel bearing , had some bad wheel bearings on my Wrx and it felt like you could hear it inside while moving .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, that’s how the sound is. It’s isn’t overly loud, but definitely present.

kmbkk 11-16-2019 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RToyo86 (Post 3275695)
What is the mileage?

Just went over 78k miles, 2013. And thanks for the suggestions, I’ll do some driving tests to see if I can determine the side!

kmbkk 11-16-2019 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG (Post 3275696)
It sounds like front wheel bearings. You have to replace the hub as a unit. I am getting ready to replace my 3rd. I have been through 2 right fronts. Now the left is starting to make noise.

Did you get them from a dealership or order them online?

soundman98 11-16-2019 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD001 (Post 3275605)
Time for new bushes???

bushings make inconsistent clanking/screeching/grinding noises as the metal parts start to rub together. in this case, a speed-dependent humming sound would indicate something to do with the rotating assemblies. wheel bearings are one of the most common, also heard of similar noises with bad CV axles sometimes.

JD001 11-16-2019 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soundman98 (Post 3275826)
bushings make inconsistent clanking/screeching/grinding noises as the metal parts start to rub together. in this case, a speed-dependent humming sound would indicate something to do with the rotating assemblies. wheel bearings are one of the most common, also heard of similar noises with bad CV axles sometimes.

I think that it can be a combination of things. Bearings, bushes and dampers as they degrade slowly over time and only start showing their failures (or should that read when the driver starts to notice) when they're near the end of their life.

NoHaveMSG 11-16-2019 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kmbkk (Post 3275824)
Did you get them from a dealership or order them online?

Online and used. I got one from a wreaked car I was buying other parts from.