Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Oil Pressure Drop (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154551)

OldBiker 03-15-2024 06:03 PM

Oil Pressure Drop

Latest from 900BRZ:

https://youtu.be/Pvgg7dl-I5I?si=1-mmE6sFwRsn3CWC

Yeah!! So the best solution: large capacity oil plan + integrated baffle. Excellent video to go along with it, explaining the experiment and logic. Can't wait to see the final product!

ZDan 03-24-2024 08:14 AM

Yeah, that looks like the ultimate answer. Meanwhile before pan is available, Accusump looks like the best solution at the moment.

Tryna decide whether to go ahead and get Accusump and then the deeper aftermarket oil pan solution when it is available, or get an ND2...

Frost 03-24-2024 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZDan (Post 3603184)
Yeah, that looks like the ultimate answer. Meanwhile before pan is available, Accusump looks like the best solution at the moment.

Tryna decide whether to go ahead and get Accusump and then the deeper aftermarket oil pan solution when it is available, or get an ND2...

ND2 is tremendous amounts of fun but that suspension is way to soft for anyone who wants to be competitive. I personally would get one for a sunday driver but not necessarily a time attack or track rat.

ZDan 03-25-2024 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frost (Post 3603238)
ND2 is tremendous amounts of fun but that suspension is way to soft for anyone who wants to be competitive. I personally would get one for a sunday driver but not necessarily a time attack or track rat.

Yeah no way it would stay on stock suspension, would be getting coilovers, roll bar, and a lower and more supportive drivers seat right away. We are spoiled with BRZ seats!

Dirty Harry 03-25-2024 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZDan (Post 3603184)

So you think the issue is that serious that you’d swap cars? Pretty big call. I don’t know heaps about the issue, but it sounds like it’s the main flaw with the new one. So the first gen didn’t have these types of issues at all?

whataboutbob 03-25-2024 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dirty Harry (Post 3603306)
So you think the issue is that serious that’d you’d swap cars? Pretty big call. I don’t know heaps about the issue, but it sounds like it’s the main flaw with the new one. So the first gen didn’t have these types of issues at all?

I'm pretty sure the 1st gen had issues. Especially if; 1) You let the oil get low and then drove it hard, 2) Added FI, and/or: 2.a) Let the oil get low, 2.b) Drove it hard, 2.c) Didn't address the oil cooling issues, 2.d) Had a shitty motor build (OEM or aftermarket), or 2.e) All of the above

autoracer86 03-26-2024 06:53 AM

Quote:

So you think the issue is that serious that you’d swap cars? Pretty big call. I don’t know heaps about the issue, but it sounds like it’s the main flaw with the new one. So the first gen didn’t have these types of issues at all?

Oil pressure wasn't great if oil temps were too high on the first gen. Lots of info on this online

On the second gen oil pressure will drop on track based on load from right hand turns regardless of the temperature.

Street driving seems to be fine so if you don't track your car its not much of an issue

ZDan 03-26-2024 09:30 AM

Quote:

1st-gen isn't perfect in this regard, but the 2nd-gen definitely has an issue with pressure drops under track usage, particularly during right-handers on decently-suspended cars with higher-grip tires.

I tracked my 1st gen ~12 track days/year for five years, I wasn't monitoring oil pressure though.

Anyway I test-drove an ND2 last year and it was a hoot, reminded me a bit of my old 240Z being similar weight (slightly heavier) and with driver sitting right at the rear wheels. I got the '23 BRZ because more utility as it was going to be my only car. Since then I've picked up an '05 Mazda3 hatch as a daily so the ND2 is more of an option now. Also I've been having to run a ton of ballast for time trials, and for this year they've added 80 lb. more :( Victory ballast... So anyway my competition weight with the '23 BRZ would be 3187 lb. this year. Kinda nullifies one of the best things about the car... Even at 3107 lb. last year I could *feel* the mass. Could run ND2 at 2475 lb. which sounds like fun...

ZDan 03-26-2024 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whataboutbob (Post 3603308)
I'm pretty sure the 1st gen had issues. Especially if; 1) You let the oil get low and then drove it hard, 2) Added FI, and/or: 2.a) Let the oil get low, 2.b) Drove it hard, 2.c) Didn't address the oil cooling issues, 2.d) Had a shitty motor build (OEM or aftermarket), or 2.e) All of the above

*What* oil cooling issues? My gen-1's oil temp always went to 270-275F *indicated*, every session for 5 years, ~50 track days, never went beyond that. 275F indicated oil temp has been correlated to 255F sump temp. These temps are no prob at all for any decent synthetic oil.

Quote:

Originally Posted by autoracer86 (Post 3603325)
Oil pressure wasn't great if oil temps were too high on the first gen. Lots of info on this online

Data shows that measured oil pressure with 5w30 is the same with an oil cooler at 250F, as with NO oil cooler at 275F. I.e., pressure drop from the oil cooler is equal to pressure drop due to higher temp with no oil cooler.
And anyway you can easily go to 40-weight if want higher pressure at temp with no oil cooler.

I did a pretty exhaustive search when I got my car in late 2017 and found that engine failures were not correlated at all with whether or not an oil cooler was present. In fact it seemed to me that *most* track failures were *with* an oil cooler. There were RTV issues and general oiling issues particularly for #3 not related at all to oil temperatures.

Again, 275F indicated/255F sump was never the problem...

autoracer86 03-26-2024 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZDan (Post 3603336)
*What* oil cooling issues? My gen-1's oil temp always went to 270-275F *indicated*, every session for 5 years, ~50 track days, never went beyond that. 275F indicated oil temp has been correlated to 255F sump temp. These temps are no prob at all for any decent synthetic oil.

Data shows that measured oil pressure with 5w30 is the same with an oil cooler at 250F, as with NO oil cooler at 275F. I.e., pressure drop from the oil cooler is equal to pressure drop due to higher temp with no oil cooler.
And anyway you can easily go to 40-weight if want higher pressure at temp with no oil cooler.

I did a pretty exhaustive search when I got my car in late 2017 and found that engine failures were not correlated at all with whether or not an oil cooler was present. In fact it seemed to me that *most* track failures were *with* an oil cooler. There were RTV issues and general oiling issues particularly for #3 not related at all to oil temperatures.

Again, 275F indicated/255F sump was never the problem...

Do you have this saved to a text file ? LOL

ZDan 03-26-2024 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by autoracer86 (Post 3603341)
Do you have this saved to a text file ? LOL

:D

I should...

OkieSnuffBox 03-26-2024 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZDan (Post 3603297)
Yeah no way it would stay on stock suspension, would be getting coilovers, roll bar, and a lower and more supportive drivers seat right away. We are spoiled with BRZ seats!

The seeming requirement of engine, transmission, diff coolers after 949's and FM's testing is kind of a bummer.

And FM has stronger case bolts for the transmission because the case itself twisting was found to be the reason cars tracked hard were having transmission failures.......I don't remember if they made the cases stronger for ND2s.

ZDan 03-27-2024 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox (Post 3603367)
The seeming requirement of engine, transmission, diff coolers after 949's and FM's testing is kind of a bummer.

And FM has stronger case bolts for the transmission because the case itself twisting was found to be the reason cars tracked hard were having transmission failures.......I don't remember if they made the cases stronger for ND2s.

Thanks for the food for thought! I had thought the fragile gearbox had been fixed by ND2, looking into it... Ditto for trans and diff cooling. Just joined forum.miata.net and posted up Qs on the track forum.

Petah78 03-27-2024 10:56 AM

Interesting, i have heard that the ND2 has a glass trans which never got resolved this is up to 2023. The only solution was to swap in a NC 6sp. This is the first i have heard about the requirement for a diff/trans/engine cooler.......