Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB

Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Software Tuning (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   OFT Ghost Cam (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99258)

HoustonM 12-25-2015 10:54 PM

OFT Ghost Cam
 
Has anyone ever figured out the "ghost cam" found few post but lots of dead ends..

I'm interested in a cyclic/rotational idle or ghost cam ideas.

Any parameters?

Thanks for any help


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Summerwolf 12-26-2015 12:49 AM

So.... you want your car to sound like you have a set of cams without any performance increase.

HoustonM 12-26-2015 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Summerwolf (Post 2491136)
So.... you want your car to sound like you have a set of cams without any performance increase.


Wrong sir, on the 5.0 it's been proven for added low down torque, from friends with coyotes


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FRSBRZGT86FAN 12-26-2015 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HoustonM (Post 2491087)
Has anyone ever figured out the "ghost cam" found few post but lots of dead ends..

I'm interested in a cyclic/rotational idle or ghost cam ideas.

Any parameters?

Thanks for any help


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:

Originally Posted by Summerwolf (Post 2491136)
So.... you want your car to sound like you have a set of cams without any performance increase.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HoustonM (Post 2491137)
Wrong sir, on the 5.0 it's been proven for added low down torque, from friends with coyotes


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First off I'm really well versed in the coyote engine department as I have 2 good friends with 2011 and a 2013 GT. They both have a boss 302 intake manifold, intake, and a bama 93 tune. One has suspension mods. Bama writes the ghost cam tune but seriously recommend you have a mid pipe or more to the exhaust, that's probably what's giving them there "added low down torque" not only that you get slightly worse gas mileage from the ghost cam and the mid pipe is necessary because they basically just take advantage of the VVT on the coyote motor. How? They're just making it over lap the exhaust and intake valves and making the engine run richer when idling so it emulates having a hotter cam. The lope will immediately go away when you touch the throttle so the car doesn't stall or become way too rich on throttle.


TLDR: All it's doing is tricking the car into dumping excess fuel, adjusting the timing and the lift electronically to simulate the cam lope. The crap they spew about low down torque and stuff is just a marketing ploy to get you into the bama tune and your friends probably believe it

@steve99 can probably elaborate he's well versed with this stuff

HoustonM 12-26-2015 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN (Post 2491146)
First off I'm really well versed in the coyote engine department as I have 2 good friends with 2011 and a 2013 GT. They both have a boss 302 intake manifold, intake, and a bama 93 tune. One has suspension mods. Bama writes the ghost cam tune but seriously recommend you have a mid pipe or more to the exhaust, that's probably what's giving them there "added low down torque" not only that you get shit gas mileage from the ghost cam and the mid pipe is necessary because they basically just take advantage of the VVT on the coyote motor making it over lap the exhaust and intake valves and making the engine run richer when idling so it emulates having a hotter cam. The lope will immediately go away when you touch the throttle so the car doesn't stall or become way too rich on throttle.


TLDR: All it's doing is tricking the car into dumping excess fuel, adjusting the timing and the lift electronically to simulate the cam lope. The crap they spew about low down torque and stuff is just a marketing ploy to get you into the bama tune and your friends probably believe it

@steve99 can probably elaborate he's a tuner guy


Thanks for input! Very well appreciated, maybe he will chime in.

And I bet your right about torque


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FRSBRZGT86FAN 12-26-2015 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HoustonM (Post 2491147)
Thanks for input! Very well appreciated, maybe he will chime in.

And I bet your right about torque


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


No problem and I edited it with some less nsfw language, personally I've edited my tune specifically so it's quieter on idle because of this exhaust and steve helped me check my work. The easiest way to do anything yourself would be get an OFT and romraider.

Also if I had an extra 5-10 grand when I was choosing this car I would've totally sprung for a coyote powered stang maybe even waited a year for one with the IRS, bama tune and exhaust really livens the coyote up alot. It's way easier to make power on those cars for cheaper than our cars that's for sure

HoustonM 12-26-2015 01:18 AM

My OFT be here next week, I already went ahead and installed rom raider, and the manager for OFT


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

steve99 12-26-2015 07:43 AM

Ok , im not a tuner :-)

AFAIK the vvt cam phasers on our engines are inactive at idle ie they sit at zero offset.

This is probably in the ecu code and probably because their is insuffient oil pressure to drive the actuators reliably.

I am not familiar with the coyote engines or ghost camms, but i would suspect they have deliberatly set up the cam phasing at idle\rest position to produce the lumpy idle.

This would not be possible in our engine unless you physically adjusted the idle\rest cam phasing, which is then going to throw out the rest of the phasing ie you have to account for the offset you physically put in at idle, how you would achieve the physical offset would be another problem unless you reground cams or just jumped a tooth on the timing chains.

I doubt you could achive the lumpy idle effect without that , ie just with fueling or timing, and their is a heap of tables that adjust idle parameters, and probably a lot of ecu logic that not known in the idle area.

even then its never going to sound like a V8 :-)

solidsnake11 11-13-2019 01:03 AM

I have noticed that vvt activates when techstream says idle switch is off. I have looked thru the wiring diagram for the idle off switch but haven't had any success. It may be possible to have a switch to turn off the idle switch for the vvt to activate at idle.

tomm.brz 11-13-2019 02:09 AM

With ecutek you can do ghost cam easily
With custom maps, you overrides the 0 at idle and put like 19 or 20 to both cams and it will start the lumpy idle

that is for saying... that you seem like quite a enthusiast... you should think about upgrading to ecutek with racerom access

steve99 11-13-2019 05:53 AM

Contact a guy called @aagun on this firum he has coded the ghost cam effect on non ecutek roms, he will likey want a donation though for his work

DarkPira7e 11-13-2019 06:47 AM

Lower the idle to about 400RPM. It'll run rough and sound like it's having a hard time keeping itself idling. Ghostcam.jpg

tomm.brz 11-13-2019 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkPira7e (Post 3274790)
Lower the idle to about 400RPM. It'll run rough and sound like it's having a hard time keeping itself idling. Ghostcam.jpg

Not so funny :)
also it would lower the oil pressure too much, it won t even activate properly the vvt

best and quickest way to ghost cam is with ecutek, and actually rise the idle to at least 950rpm to have it sound good

prepare also to consume a good 30% more fuel during idle

solidsnake11 11-13-2019 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve99 (Post 3274782)
Contact a guy called @aagun on this firum he has coded the ghost cam effect on non ecutek roms, he will likey want a donation though for his work

I have tried to contact him but no response. I did plan on giving him a donation.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:28 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.