Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Vandalized FR-S + Police = Solution? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50733)

Joetheegyptian 11-05-2013 11:34 AM

Vandalized FR-S + Police = Solution?

Long story short: I'm driving in a neighborhood and I see a lady staring at me as she is walking into the street so I stop. She freaks out on me telling me to slow down (Digital speedo..I know I wasn't speeding). Her husband then comes out of their house and begins threatening me. He couldn't control his anger and was yelling at me using very offensive language. It looked as though he was going to reach into my car so I took off. Seconds later I hear something hit the side of my car. I parked, looked at the damage (small crease and scratches on the passenger door), then called the police. I got a case number and was told to wait and a detective might call me later this week. Will anything come out of this? I would hate having to pay for this myself especially since it wasn't my fault. I got an estimate for $770. Any suggestions? My insurance is already crazy so I'm not going through my insurance.

Summary: Someone got angry and threw something at my car that caused $770 worth of damage. Made a police report and was told a detective MIGHT call me in the next week. Is there anything I should to so that this man pays for the damage?

TwinturboCamry 11-05-2013 11:37 AM

Sue in small claims and slow down?

#944_10_Series_FRS 11-05-2013 11:39 AM

Did you happen to have the after market exhaust on your car? Just saying

Tagera 11-05-2013 11:39 AM

I also recommend moving. To another state completely as a matter of fact. Unless you're nuts and happens to think okiehoma is a nice state full of wonderful people.

campy 11-05-2013 11:41 AM

Why didn't you just drive off as soon as she said to slow down?

Do a sweet burnout or something.

DarkSunrise 11-05-2013 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by #944_10_Series_FRS (Post 1313672)
Did you happen to have the after market exhaust on your car? Just saying

I was wondering the same thing. People always assume you're driving fast if they can hear your exhaust. I try to go extra slow in neighborhoods since I have a Perrin. Also helps to smile and wave at everyone.

stevemp5 11-05-2013 11:49 AM

Same things here loll! Old lady tell me to slow down..... but i stop my car front of her and i do a big burnout for this bitch!! Limit is 40 kmh and i roll 42.... i have header etc... people react for nothing! Specialy people dont know anything!

MightyMeeple 11-05-2013 11:52 AM

Back on topic:

If you are already not going to file an insurance claim (your deductible is likely at least $500 anyway), then I don't see how a police report will help you. I would say there is zero chance of the police charging the offenders (you didn't actually see them throw something at your car did you?).

Sad and frustrating turn of events for you. Best of luck in getting repairs.

boxer 2.5 11-05-2013 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevemp5 (Post 1313704)
Same thing here lol! An elderly lady told me to slow down, but instead I stopped my car in front of her and did a large burnout! The speed limit is 40km/h and I drive at 42. I have a header, ect. People react over nothing! Especially people who don't know anything!

Fixed it so other people could understand. Finish English class so you can at least be understandable.:cheers:

forzajuve 11-05-2013 11:59 AM

sounds like that moment when you decide to put a bag of poop on their porch

Kwisak 11-05-2013 11:59 AM

Best thing to do is ignore and keep on going, once you stop it never really ends well. You would have to go to Small claims court or insurance claim. To do either you will need some money up front.

hur1ey02 11-05-2013 12:06 PM

Check with your insurance agent on vandalism coverage for your policy. A lot of policies include this under comprehensive coverage, which would be minimal deductible.

daftpunk 11-05-2013 12:07 PM

That's a tough situation. You should have probably stopped right away, confront them and threaten to call the cops on the spot for vandalism. Frankly the cops probably don't care now, and it's unlikely that that'd take action, especially with no proof. It's so easy for the lady and her husband to deny the whole thing.

Back in highschool, somebody I knew did the same thing (he was the aggressor)
threw a brick/large rock or something at a lady's car. She stopped, called the cops.
I think he was charged and was forced to do community service and take anger management classes. This was in canada though, lol.

Steve201brz 11-05-2013 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by forzajuve (Post 1313732)
sounds like that moment when you decide to put a bag of poop on their porch

"Don't stomp it out with your boots, Ted!"

Taking action may cost you more than the damage... Not a guarentee you will win against them because its word vs. word. Unless you have witnesses or some decent evidence of what happened it may be cheapest to just get it repaired.
Idk why you would stop though unless you were planning on confronting them... Screw people like that, she's just a nutbag who can't visually tell when a car is going fast. If you were in fact following the law then you don't even have to bother reacting to stuff like that