Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine Swaps (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   Build Happening soon.....2jz Swap (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40750)

JK21 07-04-2013 01:04 AM

Build Happening soon.....2jz Swap

Hi guys. So I have been doing research and I am in talks with my shop and I will be doing a 2jz swap with my FRS.

My plan and goal is to have this build done by the time January gets here as I will be in school for my master's and have to space out everything. I have enough to get decently started as I was offered a good deal on my GTR and have plenty of cash left over but school is my main priority. I will keep everybody updated.

My primary reason for the build is to take advantage of the cars lightweight and after talking with some of my supra buddies they pointed me in the right direction for when I select the turbo kit I want for it.

I could do the LS swap but I feel that is overdone and I am staying with the import side. Plus the bay is not nearly as cramped with a 2jz vs. a LS motor. Plus that throws off the weight distribution soooo much. And i still like my turns haha

Goals are to be at mid 500s seeing as this car will be my next daily. And on kill mode I want to have it at mid 600s. The stock blocks are good for power up to high 700s but I don't want to go that crazy yet (maybe after school :thumbup:)

Wish me luck and I am looking forward to how this will turn out.

And if anybody doesn't think it can be done

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0yOLLo8STs&feature=player_embedded"]Maxxis Tires Driver Ryan Tuerck - 2JZ Scion FRS Test - YouTube[/ame]

^^Bam

m.box.design 07-04-2013 01:07 AM

cool! keep us posted. personally if i had the cash, i'd probably do a twincharged 1j or a built 3sgte.

velin86 07-04-2013 01:13 AM

Awesome! really wanna see how it turns out.

JK21 07-04-2013 01:14 AM

Haha I almost considered the 1j. I think why I didn't was because I wanted to always try to build a supra motor.....but I know if push came to shove that would be an interesting build to look at as well.

Nothing 07-04-2013 02:22 AM

While I'll probably just build the stock motor a few years down the road. Keep us in the loop and fab up some motor mounts for a few brave souls to be able to do this on their car.

I remember looking at Supras just before buying this car. I really wanted one but they are just too ragged out lately for a $40k car. And I couldn't constantly fly out to look at cars that I end up not buying.

enderr 07-04-2013 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JK21 (Post 1044597)
Plus the bay is not nearly as cramped with a 2jz vs. a LS motor.

...wouldn't a 2JZ swap be harder to do? Unless I'm thinking about this wrong an In-line 6 should be longer than the LS based V8. The FA20 with only two cylinders on a side is a really short motor and frankly I'm surprised an LS will fit.

Hell, of a 2JZ fits into an FT86 I'm going to shoehorn one of these into mine... :D

http://www.kmsracingengines.com/best...E46_S54_M3.jpg

JK21 07-04-2013 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nothing (Post 1044713)
While I'll probably just build the stock motor a few years down the road. Keep us in the loop and fab up some motor mounts for a few brave souls to be able to do this on their car.

I remember looking at Supras just before buying this car. I really wanted one but they are just too ragged out lately for a $40k car. And I couldn't constantly fly out to look at cars that I end up not buying.

I understand what you mean bro. It is really hard to find some Supras that have been well taken cared of. And the ones that are well maintained cost a decent amount of money. And I will keep everybody updated.

kosoku 07-04-2013 09:30 PM

A guy in Bahrain (ekanooracing) did this swap. Bad ass. Good luck!

civdaddy 07-04-2013 09:40 PM

I believe supra motors weigh ~400lbs
Ls1 motors are ~400lbs as well

I think the pushrod v8 would be better for keeping the weight distribution closer to stock when compared to an inline 6. Just saying.

civdaddy 07-04-2013 09:44 PM

The cog should be closer to stock as well with the v8

JK21 07-04-2013 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by civdaddy (Post 1046021)
I believe supra motors weigh ~400lbs
Ls1 motors are ~400lbs as well

I think the pushrod v8 would be better for keeping the weight distribution closer to stock when compared to an inline 6. Just saying.

They are around the same weight with the 2j being just a bit lighter. Now my reasons for mainly going with the motor choice I want is because 1) the engine bay is not nearly as cramped to work in as compared to having a LS motor in the car 2) The 2j will be cheaper in the long run compared to the LS motor and more modifications would be needed as I plan to boot it 3) From what I have researched the v8 would hurt the weight distribution of such a light car on a road course than a 2j

Now if I was focused on just straight-line speed I would look at the LS swap but even then I would've just kept my GTR if that were the case. I want this car to be well balance through all disciplines (auto x, road race, drift, drag) and that is the main goal I want to achieve with this build.

Celica00 07-04-2013 10:08 PM

:bow::bow::bow: this makes me happy

Hawaiian 07-05-2013 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JK21 (Post 1044614)
Haha I almost considered the 1j. I think why I didn't was because I wanted to always try to build a supra motor.....but I know if push came to shove that would be an interesting build to look at as well.

Good luck, I know built 2jz's can have some serious power although...

The rumor is someone will be showing up at sema with a 1000+ hp built FA20.

radroach 07-05-2013 01:27 AM

LS swap would be easier and cheaper with having the domestic and local aftermarket support

what motor are you using, one from an IS300, GS?