Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   brz/frs "slush" box (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26592)

jmaryt 01-16-2013 07:10 PM

brz/frs "slush" box

walked into a 'subie" dealer today,and just for s**ts and giggles took a slush box limited out for a drive with the primacy michilin's on. all i got to say,is wow! i take everything back i said about the slush! what an enjoyable experience! plenty of ''grunt" damn thing is QUICK!.played with the stick,in manual mode,and had a ball! had all nannies on,came around a corner at a safe speed off the highway,and the a*s end started to break loose,and got a little squirrely for a moment,until the nannies kicked in,and straightened the car right out! believe me,this tranny is a blast to drive! ,and gets better fuel mileage too! i'll never say a bad word again about this tranny again! also found out,the tranny fluid only needs changing every 60,000 miles as opposed to the manual fluid at 30,000.

Beyer Subaru 01-16-2013 07:13 PM

Yerp. I love mine.

Sean-SRM 01-16-2013 08:08 PM

I love my A/T I had the same mindset as you until I had the opportunity to drive one. I thank myself every time I commute in rush hour.

derschlings 01-16-2013 08:19 PM

Absofrikkinlootely LOOOVE mine!!!

RazorHawk 01-16-2013 08:24 PM

me too!!!

Burrcold 01-16-2013 08:24 PM

Agreed. You should have popped it in sport mode. Really transforms the auto.

roddy 01-16-2013 08:42 PM

I test drove an automatic. Absolutely the best automatic I have driven in my 25 years of driving. Period. It puts the sport mode/paddle shifted slushbox in my wife's RDX to shame.

Ocala FR-S 01-16-2013 09:49 PM

Well uh... yeah.

Chauntalei 01-16-2013 10:05 PM

I love my MT, but with all the commuting I do, I've thought 'what if I'd gotten an AT' recently, I have to admit.

Burrcold 01-16-2013 10:07 PM

I like the auto better than my 2011 GTI DSG "auto". That's saying a lot.

jduffy 01-16-2013 11:24 PM

Car magazines have praised this transmission and with good reason. Mine rocks.

zohare 01-16-2013 11:28 PM

Yup. Drove a manual after I bought mine. Fantastic, but I don't regret the at. Its a daily and nearly dsg fun. I have my miata for a toy. I love it...

MmmHamSandwich 01-17-2013 12:53 AM

Thanks for dining with us, tonight's special is Humble Pie, eat up!

Now now folks, I think OP is getting let off a little too easy what with all these 'thanks' being administered. Here's an example, just a little sample, how I could just grill a man.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmaryt (Post 416648)
in addendum: i really don't care because i think they all suck! period!
and yes! i drove a 'slush" boring ass drive really!

Really now? This was posted back on September 1st. Yet in this thread you make it seem like you just waltzed in and test drove one randomly and now you love it.

But it hardly ends there folks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmaryt (Post 403148)
ahhh! ohhhh! no! a "'slush" box?
tell me you didn't buy this car with a "slush" box in it?
ohhhhh! nooooo!

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmaryt (Post 416346)
without a doubt! slush box is STILL a "slush box!" limited control!

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmaryt (Post 416335)
ahhh! the many attributes of the almighty "slush box" he! he! he!
unfortunately,in THIS car,especially,THIS car,the 'fun"experience of total
control of the vehicle IS the "deal maker" for me! in MY view,a "slush box" is just something else to go wrong over time! damn thing really brings nothin' to the table,EXCEPT to possibly develop issues over a period of time,whereas
there is really nothing to go wrong with a "direct drive" tranny,except maybe a "throw-out" bearing after a very long,long time,and this can really only happen if ya "ride" the clutch.paddle shifters? poor substitute for a real manual! not even close! gotta keep in mind,when ya do the "slush" thing,ya give up control of the car to a computer,and that sure as hell is NO fun in my book!..just sayin'..getting my 6 speed (m.t.)
very soon!

j.t.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmaryt (Post 416354)
"dead nuts" accurate! why the wholey f**k anybody would want a "slush box"
in a car like this is difficult to grasp! if ya want better fuel economy,what are ya doin' in THIS car? it's a driver's car!..(w.t.f!) put the damn thing in a (s.u.v.)
or a prius! ehe! he! he!..

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmaryt (Post 416389)
yes! this is 'dead nuts" accurate too!.check the 'net lately?
at least here in new england,dealers DO HAVE the car,BUT 9 out of 10
of 'em are '"slush boxes" what he says is really very accurate,and it's because
MOST people who are going to buy this car WILL get the m.t for ALL the right reasons! this a sports car!,NOT a "pig" s.u.v. just sayin'

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmaryt (Post 443994)
i agree! "slush" boxes should be reserved for land yachts ,of which there are many on the road...just sayin'

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmaryt (Post 442825)
this car ''sings" out for a good manual!
any other car,i would say yes! go ''slush" box,but not this one!

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmaryt (Post 460817)
drove both! was impressed with the "slush" box,BUT it ain't no manual,and it NEEDS to be with me,because it's all i've driven my whole life,and too concerned i would never get used to the auto! i guess you could say that it's an "event physcological!"

I am sure there's more but these are just some threads I happened to remember reading this ridiculous shit in.
At any rate, quite a change of opinion from...

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmaryt (Post 462812)
67 and bought a "slush box?" what! no adventuresome spirit?
just kidding! have fun! 62 and "stick" for me gotta be! just sayin'

and a mere 20 days later to...

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmaryt (Post 503921)
yeah! it's the way i feel too! been shiftin' my brains out for over 40 big ones
and gotta say i'm lookin' for a change! got damn little to do with growing old,or being lazy,just getting sick of shifting all the time,and since i drove both,i determined,at least to me,that i can STILL have a ''ton" of fun with the ''slush box",and don't miss the stick at all...just sayin'

And let's not forget...

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmaryt (Post 443457)
i can say that driving stick for over 40 years,if i decided to purchase this car with a ''slush" box,i would have to learn to masturbate with my right hand ,as opposed to my left!.i am a natural ''southpaw" and my right hand would literally have nothing to do while driving!.he! he! he!

Better get practicing old man!

Gixxersixxerman 01-17-2013 12:58 AM

Hahaha, that must've took a min, to grab all that lol... I love my "slush box" I miss a stick when I wanna do something stupid, but 99% of the time when I'm trying to be sane, I'm happy with my slushy