Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Why is fortune auto coilovers the go to coils for so many Americans? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133980)

Tk rocket 04-09-2019 07:59 PM

Why is fortune auto coilovers the go to coils for so many Americans?

Disclaimer: I never used this brand and im partial to jdm brands. I am aware some jdm brands such as teins entry level coils are made in taiwan but not their higher end models. I like coils like Dg-5, hks, rsr etc.

So fa coils are made in China/taiwan just like bc racing and also hq is located in bfe Virginia. Not exactly an area where one thinks of when it comes to import performace. Historicially and location wise any any serious company is located in the West Coast california. It's where most legit shops are and where most of the knowledge is. Not in the boondocks.

Many seem to think just cause it has custom valving and comes with a shock dyno birth sheet these are better they really are.

To me it's just another Chinese coilover. One thing they are good at is marketing.

jamal 04-09-2019 08:23 PM

Those "JDM" HKS and RSR and dg-5 are probably all made by BC too.

My understanding of fortune auto is that they do source most of the parts from taiwan or whever, but then assemble them there. More importantly, they are putting the valves and shim stacks together in house I believe with higher quality parts. Or so I've heard.

Sapphireho 04-09-2019 08:27 PM

I have never gone to them, never even heard of them, and I am American.

strat61caster 04-09-2019 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tk rocket (Post 3205506)
One thing they are good at is marketing.

I don't know anybody who has them.

tyler_win_photo 04-09-2019 09:22 PM

Honestly I see a lot more Americans going for BC coils than anything else.

Tk rocket 04-09-2019 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamal (Post 3205518)
Those "JDM" HKS and RSR and dg-5 are probably all made by BC too.

Some "jdm" stuff is now but not those

God speed
Cx racing
Stance
Entry level teins
Ksport
Megan racing
Bc racing
Fortune auto
Function and form
And so forth is

Tk rocket 04-09-2019 09:30 PM

Good at marketing in the sense of making people believe they are better then the next china made coil

RJasonKlein 04-09-2019 09:48 PM

Ummm...it also sounds like you’ve never been to Virginia.

Tk rocket 04-09-2019 09:51 PM

I have not but let's be realistic here. It's not even a comparison some place in the South compared to California when it comes to import car culture in sheer size when it comes to enthusiasts , amount of shops, Major after market Brands headquarters here and so forth

Tk rocket 04-09-2019 09:56 PM

Work wheels usa
Ssr usa
Mackin industries (advan, volk, arc, project mu)
Cusco USA
Tein USA
Bride usa
Apexi usa
Blitz usa
Greddy usa
Tomei usa
Phase2motortrend
Sr20 store
Auto talent
Sp engineering
Top rank
Brembo
Stoptech
Dtm autobody
Super street

And a billion other independent shops

Now crappy ones
Megan racing
God speed/cx racing
Feal

I think you get the point on the car culture here that Virginia can't even hold a candle to here. If there was some place in that area I would think it's pretty big would be Florida

J1Avs 04-09-2019 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tk rocket (Post 3205543)
I have not but let's be realistic here. It's not even a comparison some place in the South compared to California when it comes to import car culture in sheer size when it comes to enthusiasts , amount of shops, Major after market Brands headquarters here and so forth

It sounds like you have never left SoCal while you were in the US. Northern Virginia is essentially part of DC, and home to a few of the wealthiest counties in the country. It’s not the “boondocks” by any stretch. With that said, Fortune is located outside of Richmond, which is a bit different. But if you didn’t realize, PTuning (who arguably makes the best turbo it for our platform) and Mach V (a huge name in Subarus nationally) are located in Northern VA, and Racecomp Enginnering, Pure Automotive, and IAG are based in Maryland (the North and East side of DC).

Don’t judge a company by their base of location. Some people like the east coast and their lack of CARB rules and other nonsense CA residents have to deal with.

Additionally, many americans do have a tendency to buy from American companies. I for one have prioritized supporting local outfits and American-based companies over JDM in almost every chance I’ve had.

strat61caster 04-09-2019 10:22 PM

:popcorn:

DarkPira7e 04-09-2019 10:36 PM

This is great. Goodness forbid a company, comprised of individuals, can have experience in production of a universally understood concept like pneumatics and hydraulics.

I'd much less trust a country comprised mainly of bicycle riding tight shirts to create suspension for my vehicle and market it appropriately.

Protip- my last comment is not to be interpreted as disparaging of any country in particular. Take it at face value please :)

NoHaveMSG 04-09-2019 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkPira7e (Post 3205554)
This is great. Goodness forbid a company, comprised of individuals, can have experience in production of a universally understood concept like pneumatics and hydraulics.

But, they are not JDM bro.

I mean, god forbid we judge parts based on where they are manufactured vs. if they actually work or perform well? :bonk: