Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Northern California (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   Ticket for smoked tail lights and exhaust (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130403)

Kushkaki 09-20-2018 08:51 PM

Ticket for smoked tail lights and exhaust

Hey everyone, sorry if this isn’t the right place for this post. Today I got pulled over, reasons being my smoked Valentis and my loud exhaust (understandable). I was under the assumption smoked valentis were DOT approved. The officer told me if I can find documentation from the manufacturer saying it is approved, or if I take it for inspection and they check the lumen output of the taillights. My questions are, where can I find this document (if it’s out there), and where do I go for this inspection? Sorry if this is a stupid question, I can’t find more info and this is my first interaction like this. Thank you all :)

Tcoat 09-20-2018 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kushkaki (Post 3135730)
Hey everyone, sorry if this isn’t the right place for this post. Today I got pulled over, reasons being my smoked Valentis and my loud exhaust (understandable). I was under the assumption smoked valentis were DOT approved. The officer told me if I can find documentation from the manufacturer saying it is approved, or if I take it for inspection and they check the lumen output of the taillights. My questions are, where can I find this document (if it’s out there), and where do I go for this inspection? Sorry if this is a stupid question, I can’t find more info and this is my first interaction like this. Thank you all :)

The dot approval will be stamped on the taillight housing if they are.

FUN BRZ 09-20-2018 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kushkaki (Post 3135730)

California has a law that prohibits anything, even from the manufacturer, that would effect the light output taillights.

I don't recall where I read it before but there is a code that states that the light output of rear taillights need to be clearly visible up to x-amount of feet (I believe it's close to 1000 ft.) You could probably google this and it'll come up. Mainly to keep you from getting rear ended and what not.

Imagine if you were behind a black car at night with lights that were just blacked out and you could barely, BARELY, make out that they are stepping on their brakes.

I also believe CHP stations have a system that can measure if your lights are actually emitting enough light.

VIP BRZ 09-20-2018 09:28 PM

You'll have to go to a State Inspection center to get proof that your exhaust is/has been "fixed" to be below 95.00 Db, The officer should have given you some information on how to scheduled the inspection.

The'll be able to test your lumen output there as well

FUN BRZ 09-20-2018 09:47 PM

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...ctionNum=24600

Section "e" - "E"xplains it...

Kushkaki 09-20-2018 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcoat (Post 3135739)
The dot approval will be stamped on the taillight housing if they are.

I told this to the officer and showed him, he was saying that manufacturing companies can just stamp it on even if it’s not?

Kushkaki 09-20-2018 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VIP BRZ (Post 3135749)
You'll have to go to a State Inspection center to get proof that your exhaust is/has been "fixed" to be below 95.00 Db, The officer should have given you some information on how to scheduled the inspection.

The'll be able to test your lumen output there as well

Thank you! The officer told me i need to be at 80 DB, is 95 the actual limit? Because I’m catless headers and no muffler, and hoping just putting the muffler back on will solve the issue.

Kushkaki 09-20-2018 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FUN BRZ (Post 3135746)
California has a law that prohibits anything, even from the manufacturer, that would effect the light output taillights.

I don't recall where I read it before but there is a code that states that the light output of rear taillights need to be clearly visible up to x-amount of feet (I believe it's close to 1000 ft.) You could probably google this and it'll come up. Mainly to keep you from getting rear ended and what not.

Imagine if you were behind a black car at night with lights that were just blacked out and you could barely, BARELY, make out that they are stepping on their brakes.

I also believe CHP stations have a system that can measure if your lights are actually emitting enough light.

Ahh, thank you, I’m confident these lights are bright enough and will get it checked out, but worst comes to worst I still got my stockies and will eventually start looking at different (not black) tailllights :cry:

Kushkaki 09-20-2018 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FUN BRZ (Post 3135753)

If my understanding is correct, the law states it should be visible from 1000 ft away IN THE DARK. I’m confident the valentis are bright enough, I guess it was just bad luck with the sun shining right in my tails as the officer was behind me.

Sapphireho 09-20-2018 11:23 PM

Catless header, no muffler, blacked out lights = giant sign saying "pull me over".

It worked.

Good luck getting it cleared up. I would put a legal exhaust back on. They will notice at the inspection station and you will be worse off if you pull up without the cats.

Kushkaki 09-20-2018 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sapphireho (Post 3135782)
Catless header, no muffler, blacked out lights = giant sign saying "pull me over".

It worked.

Good luck getting it cleared up. I would put a legal exhaust back on. They will notice at the inspection station and you will be worse off if you pull up without the cats.

Well when you put it that way, it sounds bad. But in my area there are a number of cars like that, guess I just got the short end of the stick. But anyways, will they really inspect for a cat if it is for a dB violation? The officer did look under my hood but I guess didn’t notice the headers.

Sapphireho 09-20-2018 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kushkaki (Post 3135791)
Well when you put it that way, it sounds bad. But in my area there are a number of cars like that, guess I just got the short end of the stick. But anyways, will they really inspect for a cat if it is for a dB violation? The officer did look under my hood but I guess didn’t notice the headers.

I live in San Jose. Yes, they will inspect your exhaust. No, you didn't get any short end of a stick, you have an illegal car and got caught.

Horrid_Funk 09-21-2018 01:01 PM

Just a heads up, I'm pretty sure Valentis don't have enough reflective surface on them to be CA legal. I've heard of someone getting pulled over and they had to put some reflective tape on their tails to make it compliant. You might get hassled about that as well.

finch1750 09-21-2018 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kushkaki (Post 3135762)
I told this to the officer and showed him, he was saying that manufacturing companies can just stamp it on even if it’s not?

People also modify parts after purchase, so the stamp doesn't always mean much

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kushkaki (Post 3135763)
Thank you! The officer told me i need to be at 80 DB, is 95 the actual limit? Because I’m catless headers and no muffler, and hoping just putting the muffler back on will solve the issue.

Put all your cats back in, stock intake, etc. Not worth the risk of multiple trips, extra violations, etc.