Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   KW V3 with Swift Springs (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86026)

smg1138 04-03-2015 11:21 AM

KW V3 with Swift Springs

I've looked around trying to find info on this, but haven't found much in regards to the 86 platform. Has anyone here upgraded the springs on their V3's to Swift Metric Coilover Springs? I'm really tempted to finally pull the trigger on a set of V3's, but the softer springs they use now concern me. I was thinking a set of 7k Swifts would make them pretty much perfect for a daily driver and Autocross. What do you guys think?

Racecomp Engineering 04-03-2015 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smg1138 (Post 2197759)
I've looked around trying to find info on this, but haven't found much in regards to the 86 platform. Has anyone here upgraded the springs on their V3's to Swift Metric Coilover Springs? I'm really tempted to finally pull the trigger on a set of V3's, but the softer springs they use now concern me. I was thinking a set of 7k Swifts would make them pretty much perfect for a daily driver and Autocross. What do you guys think?

If you're interested in KW's with firmer springs, you should definitely check out our RCE Tarmac 2 clubsports. Built by KW to our specs and based on their KW Clubsports, they use firmer springs and valving than V3s. Standard rates are 7 kg/mm (400 lbs/in) with custom available. You still get all the good KW stuff too like the inox SS construction, 2 way damping adjustability, and also a lifetime warranty. They still ride great for a DD.

Great for auto-x (R. Prince just got a win in STX at the 2015 SCCA Dixie National Tour event).

Randy Pobst seems to like them on the track too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by smbstyle (Post 2146465)
Randy Pobst liked our BRZ with the T2's so much he wrote an article about it in SportsCar magazine; "Best Handling Car I've Ever Driven":

http://protouchphotography.smugmug.c.../i-SLWTPd2.jpg

http://www.racecompengineering.com/m.../brzt2-1_1.jpg

Let me know if you have any questions.

- Andrew

Hyper4mance2k 04-03-2015 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering (Post 2197810)
If you're interested in KW's with firmer springs, you should definitely check out our RCE Tarmac 2 clubsports. Built by KW to our specs and based on their KW Clubsports, they use firmer springs and valving than V3s. Standard rates are 7 kg/mm (400 lbs/in) with custom available. You still get all the good KW stuff too like the inox SS construction, 2 way damping adjustability, and also a lifetime warranty. They still ride great for a DD.

Great for auto-x (R. Prince just got a win in STX at the 2015 SCCA Dixie National Tour event).

Randy Pobst seems to like them on the track too.

http://www.racecompengineering.com/m.../brzt2-1_1.jpg

Let me know if you have any questions.

- Andrew

I'll just put this here: http://www.sportscarmag-digital.com/...015?pg=22#pg22

JDKane527 04-03-2015 01:24 PM

I got Swift 8kg/mm and 9kg/mm springs that I'm going to try on my KW Clubsports this weekend. The standard rates I got (6/7) seem a bit soft for this chassis.

The RCE T2 coils are pretty nice too. @Racecomp Engineering, do you guys offer revalves for KW Clubsports?

cdrazic93 04-03-2015 01:48 PM

They most likely do. They even have their own clubsport damper to compete with the likes of the KW clubsport :thumbsup: RCE ftw

cactus 04-03-2015 02:25 PM

KW V3s come with 4kg/5kg springs now, so it may be a big jump with ~50% higher rates. Though, one of the faster AutoX guys in my region is running ~400lb/in on his KWs. If you haven't bought the KWs yet, maybe look at a set valved for higher rates.

I had stock 4kg/5kg V3s. The ride was great, but the car felt sloppy though slaloms. I now have Robi's re-valved KWs with 7kg/8kg. They felt great at Thunderhill, but I haven't used them in an AutoX yet. I DD my car and think 8kg is too much in the rear.

smg1138 04-03-2015 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cactus (Post 2198062)
KW V3s come with 4kg/5kg springs now, so it may be a big jump with ~50% higher rates. Though, one of the faster AutoX guys in my region is running ~400lb/in on his KWs. If you haven't bought the KWs yet, maybe look at a set valved for higher rates.

I had stock 4kg/5kg V3s. The ride was great, but the car felt sloppy though slaloms. I now have Robi's re-valved KWs with 7kg/8kg. They felt great at Thunderhill, but I haven't used them in an AutoX yet. I DD my car and think 8kg is too much in the rear.

I actually asked KW about that yesterday. They told me the current V3's are valved to handle a spring rate up to 200 lbs stiffer than what they come with.

Racecomp Engineering 04-03-2015 06:32 PM

For the Evo 9 we definitely pushed standard KWs to the absolute limit of what they could handle and while it "worked" and got some good results for our autox guy it was a bit of a handicap in that your tuning potential was so limited. The window was very narrow.

Also, we are the only place you can get custom valved KW coilovers with a KW backed warranty for BRZ/FRS or any Subaru. We've been working with them for a long time. :)

- Andrew

xtremeyolks 04-03-2015 06:37 PM

I have v3s with swift 7k front and rear. No problems to speak of. Rides decent on the street and works great for autox. My v3s had the softer rates to begin with.

Wepeel 04-06-2015 08:57 AM

I'm running the 'softer' KW V3 with swift springs, and it works really well. 7" 60mm 7k/7k. Have had some good success in autocross lately and IMO the car is noticeably faster compared to the softer spring setup.

When I ordered the KW's I was expecting the 343/400 rates, so I wasn't thrilled to find they came in lower rates. If I were doing it over today, I would go with the RCE T2's rather than muck with buying and fitting springs.

BRZ RN 03-09-2020 10:40 AM

What specs diameter of swift spring should i pick for putting into my kwv3’s? Any spring rate recommendations?

Soloside 03-09-2020 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRZ RN (Post 3306980)
What specs diameter of swift spring should i pick for putting into my kwv3’s? Any spring rate recommendations?

60mm

wparsons 03-10-2020 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRZ RN (Post 3306980)

What usage? What's the rest of your setup (tires, alignment, etc)?

BRZ RN 03-15-2020 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wparsons (Post 3307316)
What usage? What's the rest of your setup (tires, alignment, etc)?

daily and occasional autocross probably drift clinics. i have RCE adjustable top hats. RCE front and rear sway bars. -3.2 front -2.2 rear cambers. 6.6? caster.