Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   FRS Clicking/Tapping sound (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46306)

DCStorm 09-09-2013 12:47 AM

FRS Clicking/Tapping sound

So I've been hearing this noise for quite some time now. Its like a clicking or tapping sound and I can hear it at idle which sounds normal but it gets significantly louder as I push the throttle. The higher the RPM's the louder the clicking sound gets. Its almost unnoticeable at low RPM's but god forbid I give the car a little gas because that sound gets really loud and keeps going until shift gears to lower RPM. Anybody know what this is? I've searched but cant seem to find any info on it.

Oh and I just recently started getting the crickets too. They are really loud and can be heard from in the cabin even with the music turned up.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

DCStorm 09-10-2013 08:31 AM

Am I really the only one experiencing this? Oh great now I'm worried :(

xjohnx 09-10-2013 09:01 AM

video would help.

DCStorm 10-09-2013 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xjohnx (Post 1201646)
video would help.

I don't have a video of it but it sounds just like this. Only happens when I accelerate, at ANY speed. It gets louder and faster, the harder I push the gas pedal. It stops when I let go of the gas pedal instantly.

[ame]http://youtu.be/9xTvcL3j1w0[/ame]

boxer 2.5 10-09-2013 02:07 AM

It doesn't sound like that^ Those are lifters ticking on an old v8...

OmarYasin 10-09-2013 02:21 AM

Only thing u can really do is take the car to toyota to get a new fuel pump.other then that if you're running lower grade gas try 91 if not best bet is to deal with it until toyota finds a cure for this disease or get a replacement at toyota that will only last u a couple hundred miles before it starts making the noise again;)

DCStorm 10-09-2013 02:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boxer 2.5 (Post 1259514)
It doesn't sound like that^ Those are lifters ticking on an old v8...

It sounds exactly the same. Its to give you guys an idea of what I'm hearing.

DCStorm 10-09-2013 02:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OmarYasin (Post 1259527)
Only thing u can really do is take the car to toyota to get a new fuel pump.other then that if you're running lower grade gas try 91 if not best bet is to deal with it until toyota finds a cure for this disease or get a replacement at toyota that will only last u a couple hundred miles before it starts making the noise again;)

Yea I'm going to the dealer tomorrow after class.. I have no clue what it could be. Idk if its the fuel pump but I'll take a new one if they can do that for me. At least it'll quiet the crickets for a bit haha. But I'm worried about this other noise. I don't know what it could be, all I know is its coming from the engine bay area. Toyota better not try and pull one of those "its normal, don't worry about it" type BS

Clembo 10-09-2013 06:55 AM

I'm thinking it might be an exhaust leak, maybe a bad gasket or seal in the exhaust system up near the headers. Good luck at the dealer.

xjohnx 10-09-2013 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DCStorm (Post 1259559)
Yea I'm going to the dealer tomorrow after class.. I have no clue what it could be. Idk if its the fuel pump but I'll take a new one if they can do that for me. At least it'll quiet the crickets for a bit haha. But I'm worried about this other noise. I don't know what it could be, all I know is its coming from the engine bay area. Toyota better not try and pull one of those "its normal, don't worry about it" type BS

Seriously doubt that's a fuel pump. Interested to see what they say it is.

Does the noise happen when you rev the car in neutral as well? or only when in gear?

OmarYasin 10-09-2013 09:44 AM

According to toyota its a faulty fuel pump.I already had the one in my frs replaced. Couple hundred miles down the road still made the same noise.

DCStorm 10-09-2013 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xjohnx (Post 1259734)
Seriously doubt that's a fuel pump. Interested to see what they say it is.

Does the noise happen when you rev the car in neutral as well? or only when in gear?

It sure does.. I revved the engine in neutral today and the sound occurs the same way. The higher the rpm on the rev, the louder the sound.

DCStorm 10-09-2013 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OmarYasin (Post 1259782)
According to toyota its a faulty fuel pump.I already had the one in my frs replaced. Couple hundred miles down the road still made the same noise.

Yeah I doubt it's the fuel pump that's causing this particular noise. I'll update the thread when I get back from the dealer and let you guys know what they say.

Bad Habits 10-09-2013 12:27 PM

When I was a kid my cousin had a car that sounded like that, remember him saying it was something called a doughnut gasket IIRC? It was exhaust related somehow. No way thats the fuel pump.