Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Recall # WQC39 - ECM Reprogramming for Coolant Thermostat (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23502)

WRXcellent 12-03-2012 12:18 PM

Recall # WQC39 - ECM Reprogramming for Coolant Thermostat

I just logged into my.subaru and happened to see the following recall listed for my BRZ. Has anyone taken their car in for this update?

Service Program WQC-39
Engine Control Module Reprogramming
Vehicles Registered in the States of
CA, CT, MA, MD, ME, NJ, NY, OR, PA, RI, VT, WA

Dear Subaru Owner:

We would like to thank you for your selection of a Subaru vehicle. At Subaru, we take pride in our products and are committed to your continued satisfaction.

Subaru has developed a modification to the Engine Control Module software logic to improve the monitoring parameters within the On-Board Diagnostic (OBDll) system for the engine coolant thermostat. This correction ensures that should there be an abnormal condition (i.e., the engine coolant does not reach or maintain the proper operating temperature), the “check engine light” will illuminate. The proper illumination of the “check engine light” is needed to alert you that corrective action may be required.

This software change has no effect on fuel economy or vehicle performance

cnk 12-03-2012 12:26 PM

I just checked and there is nothing listed for my car. Maybe it's only for a specific VIN range.

dsgerbc 12-03-2012 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cnk (Post 587824)
I just checked and there is nothing listed for my car. Maybe it's only for a specific VIN range.

That's weird, maybe your dealer did it already.

This is a Subaru-wide recall in certain states. Not a BRZ-specific thing.

cnk 12-03-2012 12:56 PM

My car has not been back to the dealer since I picked it up in Sept. which is why I was stating it could be a specific VIN range that is affected.

Spaceywilly 12-03-2012 01:00 PM

It's there for me, vin 00920

finch1750 12-03-2012 01:02 PM

Any word of this for the FRS?

developer 12-03-2012 02:28 PM

I just created and checked MySubaru page and I don't show this either. My BRZ is registered in Oregon and my vin is in the 3400 range. Subaru might be rolling this recall out slowly so as to not overwhelm dealers. It would be nice to get the latest ECU flash and see if it evens out my occasional wonky idle.

mhigham 12-03-2012 03:45 PM

Its just a logic check on how quickly the engine is warming up. Cold weather affects, of course, how long it takes the engine to warm up.

If you drive smartly and don't let your car idle, this is probably an non-issue.

jacjac3 12-03-2012 03:52 PM

Seems to have nothing to do with idle CEL issue.

Sigh-on-Rice 12-03-2012 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mhigham (Post 588132)
Its just a logic check on how quickly the engine is warming up. Cold weather affects, of course, how long it takes the engine to warm up.

If you drive smartly and don't let your car idle, this is probably an non-issue.

I don't understand. Are you saying it is better if we don't idle to warm up the engine?

cnk 12-03-2012 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sigh-on-Rice (Post 588152)
I don't understand. Are you saying it is better if we don't idle to warm up the engine?

I never idle to warm up the engine because you're only warming up the engine and not the trans. You're better off starting the car and taking it easy for the first few miles until the engine and trans are up to temp.

Razz 12-03-2012 05:23 PM

Corporations do secret things.

Like not issuing a TSB or recall. Instead they tell all dealerships to reflash the ECM to fix the idle condition when they come in for the mandatory Thermostat fix.

Some even go so far as to call it a flash for the thermostat when in fact it is really for the idle, especially if they make a minor change to the Thermostat setting, they can can the patch anything they like.

You really never know what a corporation will do.

Just hope the is a patch fr the idle problem along with the Thermostat setting.

Anyhow, from what I understand you still need the VVT components to be replaced and the flash is only a bandaid.

OrbitalEllipses 12-03-2012 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sigh-on-Rice (Post 588152)

Yes. The car warm up much faster in 3 minutes of calm driving than it will in 10 minutes of idling.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cnk (Post 587824)

I have this under Recalls in MySubaru. VIN 02883, located in MD.

ngabdala 12-03-2012 05:37 PM

Hmm wonder why it's just these states. I wonder if there is more going on with this update that is not being shared with us. I see some strict states when it comes to emissions listed there.

Maybe we don't pass an OBD II with one cat if we change our exhaust system.