Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   I hate new cars.... (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29944)

suaveflooder 02-27-2013 04:37 PM

I hate new cars....

So, my good friend warned me about the "new car sindrom" and it is so true!! You pick up a car that is literally near perfect. Shiny and without any blemishes. Then somethinh happens ans it sticks out like a sore thumb!

The day I picked up my FR-S, my wife dragged her heels over the bottom door sill scratching the plastic! Suck! That following wednesday the dealer hit the car to check the alarm putting a fist size dent in the upper window panel. I have a coupl scratches from rocks i assume here and there on the car and today when the windows were being tinted they put a couple razor blade marks on the lower window molding. Only one I got fixed was the dent.

Anyway, I'm not mad, or upset, but i have NEVER been like this with cars! Then again, I've always bought used. Oh well, there will be many many more! Car is a blast and I'm not about to park it to avoid scratches amd flaws!

Any other stories like this or am i the only crazy one?

husker741 02-27-2013 04:41 PM

Your dealer is a fucking moron.

Speedy000 02-27-2013 04:47 PM

i got this nickle size dent in my side skirt that sticks out to me everytime i see it. not a big deal to go get fixed since its right in the crease but it definitely sticks out.

Frostyman 02-27-2013 04:47 PM

Dude, I was a basket case just from all the bug that got stuck to my bumper. That lasted for weeks. Dings, dents, wear and tear... omg, SO anal. But I eventually relaxed.

suaveflooder 02-27-2013 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by husker741 (Post 761473)
Your dealer is a fucking moron.

Agreed! I made them fix that one. I even straight up said "that was an idiotic thing to do". That really was the only one i got mad about

Siberian Husky 02-27-2013 05:38 PM

I almost regret getting the FRS because I can't even relax, haha. I even stopped going through the cosmetic section of the forum and avoid those "detailed/opticoat" threads because of how shitty they make you feel about your swirl marks or scratches. Ive been blue-taping my front bumper on trips longer than one hour. I'm sure once I get a few dings and scratches I'll just say "fuck it, its just a sporty econobox." Until then, she gets garaged and remains a weekender.

TeamZleep 02-27-2013 05:52 PM

It's my C-Stock bomber, that will in a few months be totally garaged and only driven when I don't take my work truck. It is what it is, ya know?

I get mad at bird poop, and when I found a rock chip on my hood.... I about lost it.

Tt3Sheppard 02-27-2013 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suaveflooder (Post 761459)
So, my good friend warned me about the "new car sindrom" and it is so true!! You pick up a car that is literally near perfect. Shiny and without any blemishes. Then somethinh happens ans it sticks out like a sore thumb!

The day I picked up my FR-S, my wife dragged her heels over the bottom door sill scratching the plastic! Suck! That following wednesday the dealer hit the car to check the alarm putting a fist size dent in the upper window panel. I have a coupl scratches from rocks i assume here and there on the car and today when the windows were being tinted they put a couple razor blade marks on the lower window molding. Only one I got fixed was the dent.

Anyway, I'm not mad, or upset, but i have NEVER been like this with cars! Then again, I've always bought used. Oh well, there will be many many more! Car is a blast and I'm not about to park it to avoid scratches amd flaws!

Any other stories like this or am i the only crazy one?

I know the feeling! My tint shop also put cut marks on the black trim as well :(.

smmmurf 02-27-2013 05:56 PM

Do a track day. You will care less afterwards.

Turbowned 02-27-2013 06:03 PM

I'm anal about this crap even on my 25yr-old cars, I'm probably gonna have an aneurysm when I get the first scratch/dent on the new car!

Makes me think of that episode of Daria when the dad freaks out so much his eye bulges out of his head; that will be me!
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m2...qz2wo1_500.png

Beyer Subaru 02-27-2013 06:06 PM

So true. You can spend a badillion dollars on a custom paint job but if you get one hairline scratch that is all anyone will ever see.

jarviz 02-27-2013 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suaveflooder (Post 761459)
That following wednesday the dealer hit the car to check the alarm putting a fist size dent in the upper window panel.

LMFAOOOOOOOO

Mandy 02-27-2013 06:26 PM

I'm having the same issue; it's good to know that I'm not insane. I've always had used cars, or my families hand-me-down cars, and now that I've got the FR-S, I'm absolutely anal.

When I first got the car I freaked out at my GF while she was looking for the dome light. I thought she was going to scratch the headlining.

I've settled down for the most part, but I find myself washing the car much more frequently than any other car. The silliest thing is that I sprung for the 7 year paint/upholstery warranty, so if it becomes chipped/scratched/faded I can get it all replaced. I think it paid off, because my last car ('99 Tiburon) was quoted at about $3000 for a complete paint job with dent removal. I paid I think it was $800 for the warranty, so I think it's a fair investment considering my car is stuck outside in the Florida sun for now.

I noticed my first nick on the side skirts today, and I think I actually felt more relieved than anything.

lazyluka 02-27-2013 06:35 PM

The more the car get's damaged the harder you drive it. :)

I remember the first week I was like OMG a spec of dust, then I parked it into a wall and dinged the front bumper a bit. Now, with stone chips etc, I just have FUN.

Latest damage report:
1 ding - front bumper from driving into wall
1 stone chip on roof
8 or so stone chips in front bumper
Several scratches under front bumper
1 new windscreen (already has a few stone chips)

And only 6500km on the clock....