Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Help with picking coilovers (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122572)

Cchmelir 10-10-2017 04:09 PM

Help with picking coilovers

Hey guys, just got a 2014 BRZ so new to this forum and need a little help picking coilovers. I DD the car (about 100 miles round trip to Work and back) and I plan to do some autocross with the car (not too much just about 4-6 times a year). I want some good quality coilovers but I am on a little bit of a budget. I would like to lower the car a little more than most of you would probably approve of also. I know it will take some of the performance away and I will probally get a ton of crap for this but I really like the look of a low car. So are there coilovers out there that are in the price range of about $1,500 USD that can give me the low I want with still a decent performance for track days?

Appreciate it guys!

churchx 10-10-2017 04:29 PM

"want decent performance for track days" and "lower the car more then most would approve"? Imho those bits are exclusive. You don't care about handling and just overlower car for arguable looks, or you care about handling/performance and don't make suspension close to unable to do it's job. +If you lower car to unreasonable extent, you need more spendings to offset all the wrongdoings to suspension/geometry. LCAs or topmounts better fit for lowering that would leave at least some shock travel, roll center adjustment kits, diff riser and so on. "Quality coilovers" bought for sum that left off after deducting cost of these parts & work to install them? LOL

G-Man 10-10-2017 04:42 PM

Low
Performance
Cheap

Pick 2

Cchmelir 10-10-2017 04:46 PM

Maybe I worded it wrong. I care more about the performance than it being really low. Basically what I want is as low as I can go without compromising performance.

Barefootdan 10-10-2017 04:53 PM

I think the CSG spec Tein Flex A are a good fit. I’ll be considering those when I’m ready for coils

FirstWinter 10-10-2017 05:12 PM

The CSG spec Tein Flex A are right in your budget and fit your needs. CSG is taking pre-orders for them currently.

EndlessAzure 10-10-2017 05:13 PM

There are a lot of mid entry level coil overs at the $1.5k range.

Tein Flex A and Tein Mono Sport come to mind. The Flex A is more street oriented while the Mono Sport is more track oriented. CSG is also developing a performance Flex A variant. RCE Tarmac 0/KW Variant 1/Variant 2 are also popular and have good value.

It's hard to get a sense of how low you actually want to go without a reference, but I think most of the performance coilovers have lowering potential that should suit most people's needs. If you get performance coil-overs, there are usually recommended ride height adjustment specifications. If you deviate from the specifications, you'll have to dip into preload/shock travel (which is not ideal). This enables more ride height lowering at the cost of performance potential.

-----

I DD my Flex A and have been pretty happy. I think they have tremendous value and perform well. Front camber plates standard was definitely appreciated

strat61caster 10-10-2017 05:42 PM

Eibach Pro-kit Springs + Koni Yellow or Bilstein B6
Alternatively: Swift lowering springs, Racecomp lowering springs

Cchmelir 10-10-2017 05:44 PM

Thanks for the replies, now I have somewhere to start looking.

Quote:

Originally Posted by EndlessAzure (Post 2990183)
There are a lot of mid entry level coil overs at the $1.5k range.

Tein Flex A and Tein Mono Sport come to mind. The Flex A is more street oriented while the Mono Sport is more track oriented. CSG is also developing a performance Flex A variant. RCE Tarmac 0/KW Variant 1/Variant 2 are also popular and have good value.

It's hard to get a sense of how low you actually want to go without a reference, but I think most of the performance coilovers have lowering potential that should suit most people's needs. If you get performance coil-overs, there are usually recommended ride height adjustment specifications. If you deviate from the specifications, you'll have to dip into preload/shock travel (which is not ideal). This enables more ride height lowering at the cost of performance potential.

-----

I DD my Flex A and have been pretty happy. I think they have tremendous value and perform well. Front camber plates standard was definitely appreciated

Looking at the standard Tein flex A it says that the max low front 2.3" and rear 3" which is enough where I would be happy. I definitely don't want to start messing with the preload just to get lower. How much of a difference is their in performance between standard Tein flex A, the CSG version, and the mono flex option?

imnotsureaboutbrz 10-10-2017 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cchmelir (Post 2990205)
How much of a difference is their in performance between standard Tein flex A, the CSG version, and the mono flex option?

I'm interested in hearing more about this too.... @CSG Mike

CSG Mike 10-10-2017 06:03 PM

https://i.imgur.com/t4IS5ty.png

CSG Mike 10-10-2017 06:05 PM

Quote:

The internals have been completely reworked to transform the Flex A from a generic coilover to one fully customized to suit the FRS/BRZ/86 platform. The damping forces have been altered to synergize with the chassis, and the unused range of adjustment eliminated.
That says it better than I can.

imnotsureaboutbrz 10-10-2017 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CSG Mike (Post 2990218)
That says it better than I can.

boy o boy next season is gonna be fun! (and expensive)

Lunatic 10-10-2017 06:09 PM

My Flex A's worked well on the street. The hyd bump stop really helped smooth out the ride.